Silverstone Testing

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Met up with Matt again, and went to Silverstone for the test day, took severl pics, binned a lot due to dodgy framing and crappy camera work, heres a small selection of what i have processed so far.

Think all of these are 20D and Matt's 800mm Sigma lens !

McLaren - Lewis Hamilton
mclaren1.jpg

mclaren2.jpg

Spyker
spyker1.jpg

Renault - Just been grass cutting !
renault2.jpg

renault3.jpg

Rest are here, and will be added to as soon i can get to editing them ! lol

very nice Mr Cook..that Spyker dont go well but looks nice!

wish i could have been there with you

Love them all, where were you standing though? I thought id tried every terrace and grandstand at Silverstone and ive never been able to achieve such a low to the ground view.... awesome colours and very nice closeup crops/captures.

Love them all, where were you standing though? I thought id tried every terrace and grandstand at Silverstone and ive never been able to achieve such a low to the ground view.... awesome colours and very nice closeup crops/captures.

Saved me typing it :D Never been to silverstone though :cautious:

Luffield complex, right by the fence ! ;)

no cropping involved on any of those pictures ! they are as they came out of the camera, except for a little levels tweak !

yep absolutely no cropping in ANY of the shots posted above ! :)

Good man!

Just done a bit of research. The 800mm is about a kilo lighter than the 300-800 (5880g for the zoom, 4990g for the prime). The zoom version looks bigger too. I think it might be too heavy to manage easily on a monopod (although the P-Pod I have should take the weight, according to the manufacturer).

:eek: I thought it was the 300-800 he owned?

Indeed. Youve done well considering it was your maiden voyage with the beast :D (Not Matt, the lens ;))

Cool! I'll be there tomorrow morning. :D

*takes note... L... u... f... f... i... e... l... d... *

I would be lying if i said it was my first time using Matts lens, first time was last year at the F1 testing, but i didnt have much of a go then, then when i met up with Matt to see if i could get pics of the Ospreys he was kind enough to let me have another go, unfortunately even for that they were too far way ! :(

Cool! I'll be there tomorrow morning. :D

LOL when you park, go through the entrance, walk left by the burger van and merchandisers, the bend is just there, infront of a covered stand that you cant use ! We stood right against the main fence, ignore the barriers, everybody else was ! lol

I am sorely tempted to go back tomorrow, but as i got 900 shots today, it will take me ages to process all of them now, let alone another load ! lol

Some nice frame filling shots there Ian. Nice biceps and a severe back-ache as well no doubt!

Very nice shots IanC.
I like the first shot the most as you can clearly see Hamilton driving.

I told you so;)
It'll be a bit of a trek from the pit garage though:p

You've done well there Ian, I'd forgotten how tight the crop is when the 800 is used with the smaller sensor.

Did you manage to complete the challenge I set you? (y)

Ok, I'm not going to post my pics up. They're rubbish! :thumbsdown:

Thanks Ally, the Spyker doesnt just say Orange it shouts ORANGE at the top of its voice ! lol very vivid !

As for fun, not sure that could be used really re the 800mm its hard to pan and get the shot in focus and framed ! lol the results are worth it though, i just now need to rob a bank and save up to get something like it ! :)

Most shots I had either the front of the car, or the back of the car. Some times a rear wheel and the rear wing only. Some shots, I *only* had tarmac without a hint of any F1 car. :bonk:

A few came out decent when I had a full car in frame, but most of them seems a bit out of focus and soft. Only 1 or 2 came out pin sharp.

I have one very important question though. I tried using in Tv mode and copied the timing (1/640) and aperture setting (f/5) from the sports mode, but the shot came out underexposed and rather dark (see below)? :thinking:

IMG_1794_resized.jpg

IMG_1785_resized.jpg

IMG_1754_resized.jpg

IMG_1751_resized.jpg

IMG_1753_resized.jpg

This is the one that's a bit dark taken in Tv mode... but why is it darker if it's the same 1/640 f/5?? :cautious:
IMG_1788_resized.jpg

Here's a couple 100% crops showing the slightly out of focus and in focus shots. Any advice on getting in focus pictures? :help:

100pct_crop1.jpg

100pct_crop2.jpg

I don't think you should've copied the settings from the 'sports' mode.
Just leave it on Tv setting and adjust your shutter speed to around 1/200. The aperture setting is automatically adjusted by the camera.

Thanks for the tip, Trung. :)

One thing good I found out today is that Renault is still unreliable:

IMG_1871_resized.jpg

Engine blew up with white smoke and all as I was walking towards the BRDC stand.

Kamion, you need to make sure you are set to centre focus point, ai servo (im assuming you have canon kit here so forgive me if im wrong), keep the shutter speed to about 1/160 1/250 to get wheel blur, and pan with the cars, from as early as you can and follow the cars all the way even after pressing the shutter button, this way you get a better chance of getting an in focus car and nicely blurred background ! :) have the iso set as low as practical on the day.

Remember, practice practice practice ! :)

Hope that helps,

Back