Silverstone WSB through the fence

Name
Glen
Edit My Images
No
Well after a phone call on Saturday lunchtime a friend that sponsors a few BSB and Moto GP riders gave me a couple of passes to get into WSB at Silverstone to go and watch rather than work for a change. Me being me I still could not resist taking a camera despite not being media side of the fence and also having the wife and both boys in tow on race day for the first time ever so a bit limited on angles.

All through the fence with a 400 f5.6 attached to a 7D on Saturday or a 1DX on Sunday.

1/
i-2HCPJdk-XL.jpg

2/
i-Sxrkpzp-XL.jpg

3/
i-PPRcxmp-XL.jpg

4/
i-QnRDC32-XL.jpg

5/
i-TWfXnqr-XL.jpg

6/
i-hbRpCTG-XL.jpg

The angle on #3 is just about spot on (y) leads you nicely into the shot.
Did not see that many togs there on Sunday,but did see someone with a 400 5.6 down at Stowe in the afternoon,shooting through the fence with monopod lying on the ground,not you was it ?

Top class mate , love #2 & #5 :clap::clap:

billiant shots mate

Thank you

The angle on #3 is just about spot on (y) leads you nicely into the shot.
Did not see that many togs there on Sunday,but did see someone with a 400 5.6 down at Stowe in the afternoon,shooting through the fence with monopod lying on the ground,not you was it ?

Cheers Clive and no it wasn't me buddy,dont use a monopod anymore since selling the 400 f2.8 as there seems to be plenty of stuff to lean on or brace against plus the tyre wall is rather handy while trackside (y)

some great shots there love #3

Thanks Geoff

Top class mate , love #2 & #5 :clap::clap:

Cheers bud and so sorry I didn't get round to say hello thanks to the over eager security :bang:

Few more

7/
i-9nn8VS6-XL.jpg

8/
i-gzTTv5c-XL.jpg

9/
i-LnV3Kr2-XL.jpg

10/
i-bgBBHHr-XL.jpg

11/
i-PL3XDMq-XL.jpg

12/
i-ffXzNZs-XL.jpg

Many thanks for looking and next up for me is back media side and a trip to Oulton for BSB.

Great shots Glen, love the angles, fencing doesn't seemed to have held you back. #4 & #5 are my favourites.

Posted this just before the second lot appeared. Look at that tyre in #7, wow.

Last edited:
Obviously Graham gave you a few tips ;)

Excellent stuff can't pick a fav.

Great shots Glen, love the angles, fencing doesn't seemed to have held you back. #4 & #5 are my favourites.

Posted this just before the second lot appeared. Look at that tyre in #7, wow.

Cheers Neil and Mr Kennedy just seems to be super quick and cant get over how good his times are around a lot of tracks he has never been at before since moving to WSS.

Obviously Graham gave you a few tips ;)

Excellent stuff can't pick a fav.

Cheers Mike and yes I was on the phone to him all day on Saturday :LOL:

These are cracking Glen!

Then again you could always get these before you found a hole in the wire.

What it does show again is that for a lot of types of shot people don't need media accreditation to produce cracking images.

There are a couple of caveats I'd add to that statement but by and large its true.

The main difference is being able to get the low down head on shots which show race action. Having said that though, all you ever seen in MCN are shiny single bike shots - something I always try to avoid for news reporting - its not a track day, its a race!

Blimey no 8 really shows how small Loris Baz makes the ZX look:eek:;the better half was well pleased when he won race 2:1st:

Great shots by the way,does prove you can get good shots behind the fence(y)

Great set of shots & goes to prove you don't need a media vest to take fantastic pics:D.Love the deformed tyre in #7 and the perfect rider symmetry in #6:clap:If your at Oulton give me a :wave: I'll be there all w/end.

Fabulous shots mate, i hope to get that good one day. lol.:clap:

Top notch bud, 2 & 7 are my fav. See you at :wave:Oulton

Nearly Mike, Andy (desantnik) passes tips on the Glen and I'm always badgering Glen for info. Works well, at least for me:D

Thank you very much bud and look forward to catching up for a chin wag at Oulton.

Desantnik is without a doubt the Yoda of BSB for me and I owe all that I have achieved to him and also this very forum.I was very lucky to get great advice from Andy and several other members in my early days on this forum and not only have they lifted me up but also wound me back in when I have started to get above my station and for this I am truly grateful.

I still have a long way to go to achieve what I want and still find myself not happy with my same old same old shots and need to be more creative rather than play it safe all the time but I am sure I will find my own style one day.

One thing I do find now is we have more motorsport forum members either accredited for BSB,BTCC etc or working for teams than any other forum I know of and some very talented people working there way up the ladder so its very important to pass on as much advice as we can to keep this incredible achievement up in this part of the forum (y)

These are cracking Glen!

Then again you could always get these before you found a hole in the wire.

What it does show again is that for a lot of types of shot people don't need media accreditation to produce cracking images.

There are a couple of caveats I'd add to that statement but by and large its true.

The main difference is being able to get the low down head on shots which show race action. Having said that though, all you ever seen in MCN are shiny single bike shots - something I always try to avoid for news reporting - its not a track day, its a race!

Thanks once again Yoda and i must say that since being media side im very aware now of other angles you can get sometimes from public which you cant get even from media and think that although big lenses with 2.8 apertures help you can blag a lot with other techniques such as slow pans and a certain amount of PP to add some contrast back.
I still cant get near some of the slow pans i see from some of the other guys on here but think it is something that everyone should practice rather than throwing loads of cash on lenses etc and must say its so much more rewarding getting something at 1/60th at 200mm than 1/400th at 400mm.

Like the composition in number 4, pick of the bunch for me!

Thank you and that along with the Laverty shot are my happy shots from the weekend

Blimey no 8 really shows how small Loris Baz makes the ZX look,the better half was well pleased when he won race 2

Great shots by the way,does prove you can get good shots behind the fence

Cheers bud and was good to see him on the top step for once.

Class set again Glen love the angles colours and feel of speed and drama in these shots and the fact you used a 7D proves I am still not getting the best out of mine 1+7 for me (y)

Thank you Gaza and think you are coming along just fine my friend,there is a 50/50 split as #1 is the 7D and #7 is the 1DX from memory but will get a new 7D before they discontinue them and stash it away as i think its a cracking little camera.

Great set of shots & goes to prove you don't need a media vest to take fantastic pics.Love the deformed tyre in #7 and the perfect rider symmetry in #6 If your at Oulton give me a :wave: I'll be there all w/end.

Cheers and will come and find you for a chat over the weekend.

Fabulous shots mate, i hope to get that good one day. lol.:clap:

Thanks Danny and they are not anything out of this world and infact i think i may of over processed them a tad due to the loss of contrast shooting through the fence and also as they are not for a proper job but just my own personal use i got a bit carried away with the Nik Color 4 Collection i just purchased.

One big tip i will pass on given to me regarding Silverstone from a very famous Moto GP tog that i was chatting with last year regarding how horrible the backgrounds can be at Silverstone which i used in #3 is as follows:

"Make the foreground your background"

Its strange how useful that little tip can be when traveling around some of the UK circuits and so easy to remember (y).

Great shots Glen! Pin sharp as ever and some great composition. I hope I can be as good one day. :)

If we're ever going to the same meeting I'd love to chat. Probably won't be at a BSB round again until we're back at Brands. £30 a time, not to mention the petrol, could start mounting up if I'm not careful!

May I add my appreciation, brilliant shots, absolutely!
I'm in awe of these guys, they're like modern day gladiators!

Back