weekly SimonB - 52 challenge (2021) Weeks 48 to 52 catch-up!

Very atmospheric, and almost creepy with the figure standing on the pavement.....

Very mysterious, has a story to it; I like it.

It’s very effective I like it

Thank you!

Very atmospheric, and almost creepy with the figure standing on the pavement.....

Thanks, he was rather off putting when I was taking the picture. I thought he was talking to himself until his dog appeared!

Very mysterious, has a story to it; I like it.

Yes the story of the fool standing in the middle of the road with poor visibility! :ROFLMAO:

Yes the story of the fool standing in the middle of the road with poor visibility! :ROFLMAO:
I was going to say "but he was on the pavement", then realised you are talking about yourself!.:)

Currently away on my hols and I made sure to make a note of this weeks theme in case any inspiration came my way. Well this is a back handed attempt of recreating a picture from a very popular movie on our way to the hotel. It was taken using my drone as no one was around to take the picture for me. (Not sure it would have been in the spirit of the 52 either!)

I made a few tweaks in Lightroom and cropped it slightly. I’m quite pleased with it and welcome any thoughts on the picture of our backs for this back to nature shot!

Does anyone recognise the scene I’ve tried to recreate?

Back to nature by Simon Brown

A walking version of Thelma and Louise?! :)

Holding hands would have nailed it I think. Was it a deliberate decision to stand 'disconnected' or part of the movie recreation?

Composition works well, and it's a lovely view. IMO people add to landscape photography but many disagree with that :)

No clue on the scene recreation...

A walking version of Thelma and Louise?! :)

Not quite, not sure if that makes me Thelma or Louise!

Holding hands would have nailed it I think. Was it a deliberate decision to stand 'disconnected' or part of the movie recreation?

Composition works well, and it's a lovely view. IMO people add to landscape photography but many disagree with that :)

No clue on the scene recreation...

It was a deliberate decision to stand apart as part of the scene recreation. I agree that having people in a landscape shot does add to it. It just finding willing subjects. Thanks for the feedback :)

Nice shot!
Isn’t it a Skyfall recreation? Bond and M?

Thanks! and yep you’ve nailed it!

On our drive up to Scotland, I found out that we weren’t that far away from where that scene in Skyfall was filmed. It is when Bond and M are driving to his ancestral home in the Aston Martin to lure Silva . The actual road is quite narrow to drive along but the surroundings were breathtaking. It made me think that it was a lot of effort to film a scene that was less than a minute long.

I will have to find a still of the scene that I wanted to emulate.

Thani’s for the comments.

Nice shot I like the inclusion of the car didn't get the reference though not seen a Bond film in years.

Ah found one through a quick Google. I hope this won’t cause any copyright issues. It’s a close a approximation, if I had the picture in hand and a bit more time I could have had it a bit closer. :ROFLMAO:

Bond and M

As soon as you said it was a recreation of a movie scene, I saw which one.

Well done, a good take on the theme.

Lovely colours and a good take on the theme, well recreated too.

Perfect for the theme and to be honest I think you did a better job than the bond film :clap:
But didn't get paid as much :(

Great idea, although I haven't seen Skyfall so it's lost on me. Beautiful location though.

As soon as you said it was a recreation of a movie scene, I saw which one.

Well done, a good take on the theme.

Thanks, I’m glad you got the film!

I like that, it's a story shot to me. Great colours too.

Thanks, the colours and the scenery was amazing.

Lovely colours and a good take on the theme, well recreated too.

Thank you, I’m lucky to have a wife willing to play the role of M!

Perfect for the theme and to be honest I think you did a better job than the bond film :clap:

Wow that is high praise! Now if someone could let the producers know then I shall partake in the next film!

But didn't get paid as much :(

So true!

Great idea, although I haven't seen Skyfall so it's lost on me. Beautiful location though.

Thanks, the drive there was tricky when I was distracted by the beautiful scenery.

I had an idea straight away for this theme when it appeared. The city of Liverpool once held the status of city of culture in Europe and I thought a picture of the waterfront at night from the other side of the Mersey river, displaying its many famous buildings would fit the bill nicely.

However these grand ideas don't always go to plan as once I got over to the other side of the water I wasn't able to get to a spot to obtain a clear shot. There was a lot of building work going on and the majority of the footpaths, car parks and access ways were blocked off.

So slightly (read very) annoyed at having made a wasted trip over. I saw that the Liver building was lit up in red and I thought that this would make a really striking picture especially if I could get the Beatles in the same shot.

So that's what I did and hopefully it fits the bill!

Liver Building
by Simon Brown

Spot on for the theme, from the other side of the water myself so a familiar scene for me

Lovely shot and fits the bill perfectly.
Incidentally I’ve been to several places this year where an otherwise great potential shot has been ruined by the presence of scaffolding or other building work, but I suppose these places have to be built and maintained…..

Bob on for the theme Simon and of my favourite city too. Composition works really well IMO and the Beatles add a sense of distance & scale that would have been lost by just going for the building. (y)

Well I’ve certainly not been keeping up to date here!

These last few pictures are perhaps a bit rushed but it would seem like a great shame to have come this far to trip up at the last hurdle.

It has been great fun to put the camera to good use and I’ve really appreciated all the comments everyone has given. I’ll have to make a New Years resolution of keeping more up to date. Funny how time runs away from you!

So here is my catch up…

Living

Best side by Simon Brown

My in-laws oldest cat of 16 years and unfortunately in declining health but shes still living! And she likes to ensure you get her best side!

Still life

A small dram by Simon Brown

A favourite single malt I enjoy which I treated myself too on a trip to Scotland a few weeks back. Still got plenty left thankfully.

Minuscule

Game night by Simon Brown

I always enjoy a good board game every now and then. This is perhaps a lesser known game called Outrage and it certainly lives up to it name. I wished I had my macro lens with me for this picture but I had to make the best of what I’ve got.

Seasonal

Seasons greetings by Simon Brown

It was always going to be Christmas for this theme! My ideal picture would be to have captured something from all the seasons of the year, maybe another time. I sure if you look closely you’ll see me in the picture!

Showcase

Butterfly by Simon Brown

So for showcase it would have to be this picture simply due to the luck I had with capturing it. The depth of field works well and the colours make the poor damaged butterfly stand out more.

Well it’s been a fun years and I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year. Let’s bring on the next 52!

Cheers.

Simon, great catch-up to finish the year. The butterfly image has an amazing DOF, we make our own "luck" so I'm sure you were fully prepared for this shot and everything just came together. I've never tried that whisky, I have been recently working my way through some sampling mini bottles, it's amazing the differences between them. Although I must admit I wasn't getting the notes of jam and cream scone on the last one I tried, they don't half come up with some descriptions!. I do have an issue with the whisky image as it appears green which does not making it very appealing visually.
I've had a couple of periods where a catch-up has been necessary, it's very easy to let it run away with the challenges piling up, probably not helped though by my non-existent time management skills. Regardless I'm looking forward to the upcoming year to see what we are interpreting, it's always interesting to see how other participants convey the themes.
All the best for 2022, hopefully it is a kinder year to everyone.

That's a great final image Simon and well done for making it through. Hella catchup at the end!!

Lovely butterfly and a good finish for the 52, well done.

Simon, great catch-up to finish the year. The butterfly image has an amazing DOF, we make our own "luck" so I'm sure you were fully prepared for this shot and everything just came together. I've never tried that whisky, I have been recently working my way through some sampling mini bottles, it's amazing the differences between them. Although I must admit I wasn't getting the notes of jam and cream scone on the last one I tried, they don't half come up with some descriptions!. I do have an issue with the whisky image as it appears green which does not making it very appealing visually.
I've had a couple of periods where a catch-up has been necessary, it's very easy to let it run away with the challenges piling up, probably not helped though by my non-existent time management skills. Regardless I'm looking forward to the upcoming year to see what we are interpreting, it's always interesting to see how other participants convey the themes.
All the best for 2022, hopefully it is a kinder year to everyone.

Thanks, I was determined to capture a picture of a butterfly and it proving very elusive, I nearly gave up until I saw that one at last moment! It’s a lovely whisky I have a few favourites but I’m no means an expert but I like Glenfiddich, Tomintoul and Talisker Skye. They could be worth trying.

Its very easy to let it run away from me hopefully I’ll do better this year! Good luck for 2022

Great catch up!

Thank you!

That's a great final image Simon and well done for making it through. Hella catchup at the end!!

Cheers, yep I wasn’t going to be beaten!

Lovely butterfly and a good finish for the 52, well done.

Thank you, I’m glad to have completed it.

It’s a lovely whisky I have a few favourites but I’m no means an expert but I like Glenfiddich, Tomintoul and Talisker Skye
I've tried the Talisker Skye (it was in a Talisker gift set), I remember it having quite a bite back!!, though I did enjoy It. I've recently had a Ben Riach and a Dalmore, the first was enjoyable, the second was a bit too mellow, almost like a session whisky if there is such a thing.

Last edited:
Back