weekly SimonB - 52 challenge (2021) Weeks 48 to 52 catch-up!

The sun through the windows works great!

Nice composition, and I like the fact that I get a sense of both warmth and coldness from it.

Agree with others that the placement of the sun is excellent. The lovely reflection of the sun on the wet sand really compliments the composition. Reminds me a bit of the Lost Boys.

Perfect timing to get the sun in that spot. On theme with the reflections in the wet sand and a very nice image. I think it might also fit the Low Key technique?

Thanks for the comments everyone, it was good timing with the picture. I am quite pleased with how it turned out. The low key technique is a new one with me. Does it fit the criteria? I'll be having a go at that when the next theme presents an opportunity.

The sea does come in every once in a while ha! :ROFLMAO:

Nice reflection photo, love Southport so this one immediately stood out to me.

Reflection
Really pleasing calm image captured at just the right time. Only niggle is the off colour part round on the bottom edge in the middle, it does get some of my attention to stop me fully enjoying the image. (I've listened to too many judges critiques I think!!)

Nice reflection photo, love Southport so this one immediately stood out to me.

Reflection
Really pleasing calm image captured at just the right time. Only niggle is the off colour part round on the bottom edge in the middle, it does get some of my attention to stop me fully enjoying the image. (I've listened to too many judges critiques I think!!)

Thanks to both of you,

On reflection (sorry, ha!) I hadn't seen the off colour part as I probably had tunnel vision on sorting out the colours around the sun set. I think if I was to print this out, then it would be something I'd look to correct. (y)

So thanks for all your comments :)

My picture this week relates to the rough year the NHS has had, as well as so many other people. I have been redeployed from my department to ITU for the past six months. I have seen things I don’t wish to see again but I am glad that I have been able to help where I can. I am certainly not looking for any sympathy, so many people have had it worse than me. So when I saw the theme of rough this immediately came to mind. Hopefully we will get back to a sort of normal soon.

Rough
by Simon Brown

I was hoping to have a go at the low key technique, but I couldn’t quite get it to work how I wanted. Hopefully another theme will appear where I can give it a go. Looking at my ID badge again it is looking a bit rough around the edges.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

A really original take on the theme!

And thanks, to you and your colleagues

I'm not surprised your job was your first thought - I can't begin to imagine what it's been like. Nice grainy shot with the logo really standing out. Nice one.. and I echo the many thanks!

Rough
That's a completely different take on the theme and one that has worked well.

A really original take on the theme!

And thanks, to you and your colleagues
I'm not surprised your job was your first thought - I can't begin to imagine what it's been like. Nice grainy shot with the logo really standing out. Nice one.. and I echo the many thanks!
Rough
That's a completely different take on the theme and one that has worked well.

Thanks guys, the graininess is very much down to the heavy cropping but I did like the effect of it.

Just to echo what's been said above Simon, very much on theme. This is one where it needs little explanation. The viewer can add their own narrative to what is a bit of social commentary.
Good work both in your job and with your take on this week's theme.

The inspiration came to me as I was pouring myself a smooth hot chocolate. I didn’t have much time to play around with this week’s theme, too many night shifts! I would have poured myself a whisky but someone else beat me to it!

Smooth Chocolate
by Simon Brown

Cheers

Nicely done :)

I like that!

It says smooth and warm to me. Nice use of DOF, and the red & white BG sets it off nicely. I might have been tempted to kill the little highlight in the flow of the chocolate, but it's no big deal either way.

Smooth
Are you being ambidextrous holding both the camera and the coffee pot? I tried capturing a pour, it wasn't as easy as I anticipated and changed my mind

Smooth
I do like a good hot chocolate. I like the way you've caught the chocolate pouring into the cup and the background is good too.

I like that!

It says smooth and warm to me. Nice use of DOF, and the red & white BG sets it off nicely. I might have been tempted to kill the little highlight in the flow of the chocolate, but it's no big deal either way.

Yeah I spotted that after I posted the picture. I had even removed other highlights but didn't see this one!

Looks tasty! And smooth [emoji6]

It was! I shall make another!

Smooth
Are you being ambidextrous holding both the camera and the coffee pot? I tried capturing a pour, it wasn't as easy as I anticipated and changed my mind

Nah I employed the wife again! It would be tricky on my own I'd only make a mess!

Smooth
I do like a good hot chocolate. I like the way you've caught the chocolate pouring into the cup and the background is good too.

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out :)

Quite enjoyed this theme, I was trying to think what would fit the theme for a while. However that was the whole point of starting this 52 challenge to get the creative juices going. So I decided I wanted a picture of something alive ideally on a plant. So I went for a very long walk around the local village and it’s amazing what you can find sometimes.

This ladybird gave me a challenge as she would not stay still and definitely didn't want a picture taken. It probably doesn’t help when someone has a lens in your face!

Ladybird
by Simon Brown

Saw lots of busy bees, this is the best of the bunch as again they wouldn’t keep still and the wind was blowing the branches quite a bit. I like the colours and sharpness with this picture, I wonder if a macro lens would have done it better justice? There was a lot of focus hunting taking these pictures.

Busy Bee
by Simon Brown

My favourite one has to be the butterfly, which I saw as I was getting ready to pack up for the day. The colours in my opinion contrast great with the butterfly and the depth of field works too. You may notice that the poor butterfly has one antennae missing along with a damaged wing.

Lucky to be alive perhaps?

Butterfly
by Simon Brown

Let me know what you think. :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Surprised that you got a butterfly and a ladybird at this time of year although the bumblies have been out for weeks. Fits the theme well.

A nice little selection there Simon

Butterfly is the winner for me too Simon. Also like the imprefection of the creature. A lucky escape perhaps? Battle scars to tell a story?

Great colours in the image and well done getting the focus spot on. A worthy entry!

Alive
I do like the butterfly, although I do find it a little bit too central in the frame. Good simple background, with nice vibrant colours.

I'm liking your set for alive. All very sharp and vibrant. I think the Butterfly is the one for me though. It really stands out.

Thanks it was the picture I was hoping for after a long walk/hunt for it.

Surprised that you got a butterfly and a ladybird at this time of year although the bumblies have been out for weeks. Fits the theme well.

Yeah I didn't see many through the day. I only saw the ladybird by chance really.

A nice little selection there Simon

Lovely shot of the tortoiseshell butterfly. Great colours. My favourite of the bunch.

Butterfly is the winner for me too Simon. Also like the imprefection of the creature. A lucky escape perhaps? Battle scars to tell a story?

Great colours in the image and well done getting the focus spot on. A worthy entry!

Thanks everyone, I definitely think the butterfly is the winner here. It flew off at one point before I could get shot. I must have looked like a right loon willing the butterfly to come back again!

Alive
I do like the butterfly, although I do find it a little bit too central in the frame. Good simple background, with nice vibrant colours.

Thanks for the comments, yeah I did play around with cropping the picture and trying out different positions. Settled for that in the end :) (y)

Gorgeous colours Simon! The depth of field in your butterfly shot really adds so much. I did notice his wing but not the antennae, poor thing! Also the detail in the wing of the bumble bee is incredible - so interesting to see :)

Last edited:
Easter, well who doesn’t like chocolate at Easter! The Easter bunny was replaced by a cat toy, I had a play arranging the bunny and eggs with the flowers until I felt it looked about right. I have recently purchased a macro lens, which is something I’ve been after for a long time. The forums were very helpful in that regard.

So here are my favorite two from the pictures I took.

Happy Easter
by Simon Brown

Spring is here
by Simon Brown

I also saw a ladybird in the garden and tried out the new lens. The detail that can be captured is quite amazing really, no more focus hunting from the old lens. What do you think?

Ladybug
by Simon Brown

Cheers

I think your main thread choice was the correct one. The DoF is deeper and I think that works for this.
It would need to be very shallow otherwise.
The vibrancy of the yellows and purples do it for me.

I really like "Spring Is Here". Big bold beautiful colours and right on theme. The positioning of the toy bunny looks a bit awkward to me in the 1st shot. No clue how it could be bettered though.

Choccy, flowers and a bunny - Nailed it :)

Back