Singapore Grand Prix

Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking of going to this event this year. I was wondering if anyone has been before or knows what restrictions there are on cameras and lenses.

My sister has been last 3 or 4 years, I will ask her.

Firstly no selfie sticks but I suspect you aren't interested in that. Also no large camera stands. There is restrictions on large lenses especially the sort that a media pro would be using. You should be able to find details @ www.singaporegp.sg under Circuit Access on what spectators can and can't take into the circuit. My sister did note that she didn't see any spectators with large lenses at last year's meeting, but that could have been down to the area of track she was viewing from.

Firstly no selfie sticks but I suspect you aren't interested in that. Also no large camera stands. There is restrictions on large lenses especially the sort that a media pro would be using. You should be able to find details @ www.singaporegp.sg under Circuit Access on what spectators can and can't take into the circuit. My sister did note that she didn't see any spectators with large lenses at last year's meeting, but that could have been down to the area of track she was viewing from.
That's news to me. Gotta be the first gp not allowing you to take long lenses. I've been to loads and they all allowed me to take my 100-400

From the Singapore F1 site:
PHOTOGRAPHY

With its stunning backdrop of downtown Singapore, the Marina Bay Street Circuit is a photographer’s paradise. There are plenty of locations where you can find that perfect shot – go out and explore the Circuit Park!

All equipment brought into the Circuit Park should only be for personal use and not for commercial purposes.

To avoid hindering patrons' view of the race and to ensure an enjoyable experience for everyone, please refrain from using the following items at Grandstands, Viewing Platforms and the Padang Stage fanzone:

Tripods

Monopods

Cameras with telephoto lenses

http://www.singaporegp.sg/eventguide

I attended the 2016 race and whilst I enjoyed the city, the atmosphere and seeing the cars under the lights, from a spectating (and photography) point of view, it is as challenging as you might imaging a street race to be. I'll not be rushing back.

Whilst the event guide mentions not using 'camera's with telephoto' lenses (as PaulF notes above) I used a canon 100-400mm lens over the 3 days from the grandstands without any problems (to me nor those sitting adjacent to me).

Its a great shame that Sepang is no longer on the calendar....a tremendous race track with wonderful viewing facilities.

2016:
2R4C3046 by Whyone, on Flickr

Smoke1 by Whyone, on Flickr

Smoke and flames2 by Whyone, on Flickr

2017:
2R4C6423 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C6403 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C6570 by Whyone, on Flickr

Last edited:
From the Singapore F1 site:
PHOTOGRAPHY

With its stunning backdrop of downtown Singapore, the Marina Bay Street Circuit is a photographer’s paradise. There are plenty of locations where you can find that perfect shot – go out and explore the Circuit Park!

All equipment brought into the Circuit Park should only be for personal use and not for commercial purposes.

To avoid hindering patrons' view of the race and to ensure an enjoyable experience for everyone, please refrain from using the following items at Grandstands, Viewing Platforms and the Padang Stage fanzone:

Tripods

Monopods

Cameras with telephoto lenses

http://www.singaporegp.sg/eventguide
So you can bring and use them. Just not in the grand stands. That's fine

Or the viewing platforms and fan zone, not sure if that realistically means it's pointless taking one., it's a bit vague on where you could use a telefoto lens

Back