Sirch 52 in 2018, third time lucky, week 52, Showcase

Nice technique, spot-on panning. Looks like he's going quite fast too.
Thanks Stan, it was quite fast and agressive

Can`t beat a good bit of lawnmower racing, good panning skills Chris really do like it but my only nit pic is the blurred bit coming off the top but still a great shot imo.
Thanks Dave, I agree about the flag but I thought it was a bit too big to clone out.

And on to bright, not quite sure this really expresses what I was going for but you get the idea ;)

Bright by Chris H, on Flickr

I really like the shot Chris even if it's not what you were going for

I really like the shot Chris even if it's not what you were going for
Thanks Tilly, it is sort of what I had in mind but I suppose I wanted a bit more alternating light and shadow from the blind.

I like it as it stands but I do see what you mean, I take it you tried opening and closing the blinds to various degrees

you did didn't you :shifty:

:)

I like it as it stands but I do see what you mean, I take it you tried opening and closing the blinds to various degrees

you did didn't you :shifty:

:)
:D I actually did, that arrangement, darker at the bottom and lighter at the top felt best. That is the only window at which we have a venetian blind It and would have been better with the sun further round I think but then it is shaded by a tree

Bright
It's got a bit of a minimalistic look to it.
I would have liked to light hitting the floor or a chair.

Bright
It's got a bit of a minimalistic look to it.
I would have liked to light hitting the floor or a chair.
Thanks, I think that is more what I had in mind but the sun just doesn't hit that window at the right time

Contrasty. Bright yet Mono. Clever take I feel.
Thanks Tim

Bit of a rushed one this week because I'm going away and got loads to do, so I did this last year I think but practice makes perfect. ETA, just for clarity when I say "did this last year" I mean it's a reshoot, tonight, of the same idea that I did last year, not that this is an old photo (tick on the spreadsheet please Dean :) )

elegant by Chris H, on Flickr

Last edited:
I thought it looked familiar. I'm sure i liked last year's effort and this year works really well for elegant.
Just being a bit nitpicky here, but if you had time (and I guess you don't, because you said you were busy) I think it would be better with the lines of the floor tiles cloned out.

I thought it looked familiar. I'm sure i liked last year's effort and this year works really well for elegant.
Just being a bit nitpicky here, but if you had time (and I guess you don't, because you said you were busy) I think it would be better with the lines of the floor tiles cloned out.
Thanks Dominic, I agree about the grout lines and nearly had a go at cloning but that would just be a distraction from the other stuff

Nice elegant foot. I bit "hot" on some of the shiny bits perhaps. I like the cold slightly blue toning.

I like it Chris, nice choice of b+W, interesting choice to just concentrate on the foot, grout lines, agree with the above.

It’s better than last years excellent idea too

Nice elegant foot. I bit "hot" on some of the shiny bits perhaps. I like the cold slightly blue toning.

I can't remember your last year's shot but it is an excellent image. Mono colour works perfectly too but, personally, I prefer to clone out the lines.

Thanks all, I'll clone out the lines next time. :)

Great high key shot for elegant. I being super picky as I really like this but the only line I'm not keen on is the one which goes through the foot. The others I don't mind. And there are a couple of loose threads on the pump, near where the lace attaches to the shoe. But its a super shot mate.

Great high key shot for elegant. I being super picky as I really like this but the only line I'm not keen on is the one which goes through the foot. The others I don't mind. And there are a couple of loose threads on the pump, near where the lace attaches to the shoe. But its a super shot mate.
Thanks Ross all fair comments the only excuse being it was a rushed job

Not derelect yet! The theatre at Taormina, Sicily, which is nearly 2000 years old. OK I'm shoe horning in a holiday snap but it's interesting to ponder when something is derelect or a monument or a ruin or a working theatre?

20180709_161833.jpg

don't think its a shoehorn its certainly not in the state it was once in

No not derelict as it's obviously being preserved as is and not left to rot.

It's a nice snap still though :)

Derelict
I would say ruin, but it's not a shoehorn.
Is good that it's got some people in there, if gives it a sense of scale.

No not derelict as it's obviously being preserved as is and not left to rot.

It's a nice snap still though :)

Derelict
I would say ruin, but it's not a shoehorn.
Is good that it's got some people in there, if gives it a sense of scale.
Thanks guys.

Given that is has been so dry we decided to go up to Haweswater today to see the remains of the village that was Mardale before the people were moved out and the village destroyed and flooded to make a reservoir So when "home" came up as a theme I thought it would kill two birds with one stone nicely. But they certainly made a good job of destroying the buildings, Apparently the church was completely dismantled and the stone reused elsewhere, the bodies exhumed and reburied, the other buildings where blown up by the royal engineers. And of course after all this dry weather it started raining this morning, still plenty to see but it made the 'togging a bit more challenging. So here we are, this was a corner of someones home in a pretty lakeland village 80 years ago.

Home by Chris H, on Flickr

Last edited:
Elegant, really like this shot and a clever idea for the theme.

Derelict, Great holiday shot but not sure it is really derelict, it does beg the question what is derelict though.

Home. Like the texture in the shot and the back story is fascinating.

Elegant, really like this shot and a clever idea for the theme.

Derelict, Great holiday shot but not sure it is really derelict, it does beg the question what is derelict though.

Home. Like the texture in the shot and the back story is fascinating.
Thanks Roger

Chris

Bright
For the theme it works, but a lot of it is dark. Well handled exposure for the trees outside and the woodchip in the window.

Elegant
Enough details in the shoe and leg against the lack of detail in the background.

Derelict
Interesting question, I think that a lot of Ruins are not derelict, they are just not allowed to be repaired nor get worse.
Exposure is good on what must have been a hot day. Lots going on but no Tourists.

Home
I think your home is more derelict than Taormina Theatre. Nice find, plenty of detail and contrast is good.

Pete

Hi Chris, a good idea to revisit last year's subject for Elegant and it's spot on for the theme. Very elegant lines of the the foot and ankle, and in the neatly tied tapes around the ankle. A slight shame about the lines in the pavement behind but if you weren't short of time you would have dealt with that, and the B&W toned PP works well to bring out the shapes.
Derelict - I'm not sure of the definition but it works for me and I like the inclusion of the people to add a sense of scale and show how huge the old structure is.
Home - what a great idea and it must have been a fascinating visit. Lots of texture in those old stones and you can see the layer of dried mud on the surfaces. I also like the colour contrast between the fresh green grass on the far side, above the mud and stones that would normally be underwater. It wouldn't be half as effective without that contrast (y)

Hi Chris, a good idea to revisit last year's subject for Elegant and it's spot on for the theme. Very elegant lines of the the foot and ankle, and in the neatly tied tapes around the ankle. A slight shame about the lines in the pavement behind but if you weren't short of time you would have dealt with that, and the B&W toned PP works well to bring out the shapes.
Derelict - I'm not sure of the definition but it works for me and I like the inclusion of the people to add a sense of scale and show how huge the old structure is.
Home - what a great idea and it must have been a fascinating visit. Lots of texture in those old stones and you can see the layer of dried mud on the surfaces. I also like the colour contrast between the fresh green grass on the far side, above the mud and stones that would normally be underwater. It wouldn't be half as effective without that contrast (y)
Thanks Andrea, it was quite poignant walking around those old buildings.

Interesting take which does need the explanation I feel, is it still underwater most of the year? I know they did a similar thing in North Wales so they could supply Liverpool with water. Would they be able to justify it now I wonder

Interesting take which does need the explanation I feel, is it still underwater most of the year? I know they did a similar thing in North Wales so they could supply Liverpool with water. Would they be able to justify it now I wonder
Thanks Allan, the buildings only emerge in real drought conditions, they are normally underwater year round. Water levels must have been at least 10m down from normal

Home
Well, no one said it had to be your home. I recon you could have gone a bit wider, to give it a bit more context.
I like the textures in the stone and having the green in the top, sort of holds the whole photo together.

Back