Sirch 52 in 2018, third time lucky, week 52, Showcase

Hi Chris,

Derelict - I would go more with ruin than derelict, as derelict to me says uncared for, and I would say that the theatre is cared for. So a bit of a shoe horn, but who am I to say anything about that? ;)
It is a interesting counterpoint of the old and very new (masonry vs props).

Home - This says derelict more to me than the previous shot (infact until I read the blurb, I assumed it was a second derelict shot). That said, bang on for the theme and evocative of a time when nimbyism didn't prevent progress.
I bet it must have been an interesting explore.

Home
Well, no one said it had to be your home. I recon you could have gone a bit wider, to give it a bit more context.
I like the textures in the stone and having the green in the top, sort of holds the whole photo together.
Thanks Dominic, needless to say I took plenty at different focal lengths and to me this seemed best to draw the eye into the remains of the home.

Hi Chris,

Derelict - I would go more with ruin than derelict, as derelict to me says uncared for, and I would say that the theatre is cared for. So a bit of a shoe horn, but who am I to say anything about that? ;)
It is a interesting counterpoint of the old and very new (masonry vs props).

Home - This says derelict more to me than the previous shot (infact until I read the blurb, I assumed it was a second derelict shot). That said, bang on for the theme and evocative of a time when nimbyism didn't prevent progress.
I bet it must have been an interesting explore.
Thanks Tim, I like your definition of derelict, it amused me that the stage set appeared to be a ruin being built in a ruin. Mardale was interesting and quite poignant

Home - What a cool place, I'd never heard of this before. Great details and textures in the stones. Id like to have seen it in a wider context too though.
Thanks Ross, the buildings had been so thoroughly demolished that going much wider they just looked like piles of stones. Here's an example...

IMG_9200.jpg

I had an idea for a shot this week but the skies here have been plain white all weekend so I shot an alternative... this little Sterling engine is going round

GoingRound by Chris H, on Flickr

That a nice little bit of tech there - and nicely togged withthe reflection :)

lovely clean pic of a nice bit of engineering good reflection too

Nice shot, well exposed and good clear composition, different for the theme but fits it perfectly. Interesting subject I think.

Nice shot, well exposed and good clear composition, different for the theme but fits it perfectly. Interesting subject I think.
Thanks Roger

One thing that struck me is you've got the piston blurred through movement :) but the wheel at the bottom looks stationary which seems a bit odd.
Lovely bright crisp shot and reflection :)
Thanks Tim, the wheel at the bottom is a featureless plastic thing so nothing really to indicate that it is rotating really.

I meant the larger one behind it with the holes, it appears to be on the same axle.
Ah, that's the body of a motor that is run as an alternator to make a little LED flash, so it's not going round

Reactions: LC2
Nice find for the theme Chris, good reflection beneath it too. Good work

A different take. Nice piece of mechanical machinery and I've never come across this before. How does it work? Is it just by the hot air or is there water in the glass tube being heated?
Thanks Stan, it's just hot air, there is a displacer in the glass tube that moves the air from the hot end to the cold end and back again so it expands and contracts and that drives the piston, which drives the displacer. Google probably does a better job of explainig it :)

Last edited:
Round
A nice reflection, some movement and I really like the purple (is it methylated spirit?).

I did some cooking this afternoon but it wasn't very photogenic so this is a bit of a cheat in that the onion bread is shop-bought but I did "cook" it...

Cooking by Chris H, on Flickr

Smack on theme, well composed, exposure spot on, I might of gone for a touch more DOF myself.

Looks very nice and tasty Chris. Lighting looks good, I like the composition and nicely in focus where it needs to be.

Smack on theme, well composed, exposure spot on, I might of gone for a touch more DOF myself.
Thanks guys. I took several at different apertures and this seemed like the best balance between a nice OOF background and enough detail in the subject.

Tight in the frame seems to be a thing this week, DoF is fine for me just needs to be presented a little better not sure the baking tray was the best thing

Tight in the frame seems to be a thing this week
:) It does doesn’t it, I did shoot one wider but I could hear the comments about the tray edge and background. I thought I was being hip and trendy including a well-used baking tray, also it gave a good neutral background, but maybe not. Thanks for commenting.

Hi Chris

Round - Nice little engine with a round bit.Image is nice and sharp and good colours.

Cook - I like the picture overall apart from the front edge of the baking tray covering a bit of that tasty looking bread. DOF works for me.
Colour is very appealing.

Pete

Last edited:
Looks good enough to eat - nice one :)

Hi Chris

Round - Nice little engine with a round bit.Image is nice and sharp and good colours.

Cook - I like the picture overall apart from the front edge of the baking tray covering a bit of that tasty looking bread. DOF works for me.
Colour is very appealing.

Pete

Looks good enough to eat - nice one :)

Tight is the new Wide Chris :)
I like the idea of the tray, but surely to be hipster it needs to be wood and covered in germs ;)
nicely exposed, bang on theme and tasty looking too boot.

Thanks all, as is so often the case it's hard getting good composition whilst keeping out distracting elements, but then I guess that is the trick ;)

Cooking
Well exposed, lit and the colours are good, I would like to see the bread as part of a meal (a bit of context).

Cooking
Well exposed, lit and the colours are good, I would like to see the bread as part of a meal (a bit of context).
Thanks Dominic, I was going for a kind of straight out of the oven, just cooked, king of thing.

And here's some shortbread, this was a fallback idea because some others I had, including a bit of street, just didn't work out

Shortbread by Chris H, on Flickr

well composed I like the OOF partial cup its a nice touch, very good indeed

Short, really well composed and the use of Dof is excellent, smack on theme and yummy!

well composed I like the OOF partial cup its a nice touch, very good indeed

Hi Chris, really like that, great colour across the scene, I like the inclusion of the cup in the background and great dof.

Short, really well composed and the use of Dof is excellent, smack on theme and yummy!

Thanks all, that makes it worth while, that was the second cup which I dug out of the back of a cupboard and I ended up using f7.1, having started at f2.8 so there was a lost of experimentation. Seems to have paid off and a good learning exercise.

Very yummy looking shortbread!

Hi Chris, Some great shots from you, as always, since last I was on but skimming through the comments, everything seems to have been said so just going to comment on the last one! Great idea for a start, the textures in the shortbread are really nice, you've made it look very tempting and I like the oof cup adding to the temptation with a cuppa :D

Very yummy looking shortbread!
Thanks Dave

Hi Chris, Some great shots from you, as always, since last I was on but skimming through the comments, everything seems to have been said so just going to comment on the last one! Great idea for a start, the textures in the shortbread are really nice, you've made it look very tempting and I like the oof cup adding to the temptation with a cuppa :D
Thanks Georgina, please don't feel you have to comment on everything.

Back