Sirch 52 in 2018, third time lucky, week 52, Showcase

Now that IS sharp...both in focus and subject matter.

Sharp is a well taken shots Chris, great bit of sharpness in the stem and thorns. What is the blob thing halo though ?
Now that you mention it, Bugger! I guess it is a stacking artefact and it seems to be a lot more noticeable on the jpeg than it is in LR, probably due to a bit of compression and reduction in the number of rendered colours. Thanks for commenting Dave, appreciate it.

Agree - nice and sharp (shot and thorns)
Thanks Ian

Now that IS sharp...both in focus and subject matter.
Thanks Martin

A very sharp stack, black line at the top lets the BG down a bit, very minor point though

Once @Dave70D had pointed out the halo/blob thing I couldn't un-see it so here is another stacking attempt. Some of it still there as it is in the background but I think this is a bit better

Sharp2 by Chris H, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not a lot else I can add really Chris what an incredibly sharp shot stunning detail.

Ooooft! That's sharp for sure. Cracking shot.

Once @Dave70D had pointed out the halo/blob thing I couldn't un-see it so here is another stacking attempt. Some of it still there as it is in the background but I think this is a bit better

Sharp2 by Chris H, on Flickr

Think this is better now Chris, good job done.

Nice, very sharp image Chris well done!

Age(ing) - both are good images for the theme and each have a good story to tell in the image, nice work.

Sharp - ah yes it would seem I got my inspiration from you ( honestly I hadn't looked at the site when I shot my image ), I think I prefer yours to mine, nice and sharp and colours work well.

Nice, very sharp image Chris well done!
Thanks Daniel

Age(ing) - both are good images for the theme and each have a good story to tell in the image, nice work.

Sharp - ah yes it would seem I got my inspiration from you ( honestly I hadn't looked at the site when I shot my image ), I think I prefer yours to mine, nice and sharp and colours work well.
It's bound to happen with a number of people thinking of ideas for a theme, personally I like to see the different ways people treat the same subject, thanks for dropping in Mandy.

Age - I like the Old Fox shot better
Sharp - very sharp and it really stands out from the background

Hi Chris,
Age - The Old Fox for me too, it feels like there is history to it. Though the gravestone has it too... 2 deaths 3 months apart, both at the same age (which we would consider young these days really).
Sharp - Cool piece of stacking. One day.....

Aging - prefer the film shot, not sure why really.

Sharp - ooo, thats definitely sharp....

Hi Chris,
Age - The Old Fox for me too, it feels like there is history to it. Though the gravestone has it too... 2 deaths 3 months apart, both at the same age (which we would consider young these days really).
Sharp - Cool piece of stacking. One day.....
Thanks Tim, are we looking at the same grave stone shot? Son dies in Aus in the 70's, farther is buried with him 3 decades later?

Aging - prefer the film shot, not sure why really.

Sharp - ooo, thats definitely sharp....

Thanks Mark,

A bit meh but things will be a lot easier when the nights get lighter. I've found this weekend and this theme a bit frustrating, tried lots of things but they didn't work for one reason or another so here's something with the word "guard" in it anyway...

CoastGuard by Chris H, on Flickr

I know what you mean about the weather, though it has been a bit lighter here today !!!

Theme wise the image works, though maybe closer in on the sign so losing the bright blue railings would work a bit better, or close in with blue railings leading up and then down... Sorry I am getting carried away :D

Agree with the above, it's on theme and well exposed given the conditions. I actually like the blue railings as they act as bookends, for want of a better word, for the coastguard sign in the same colour
Yep, the weather has been, and continues to be, cack here as well hence my indoor effort for this week's theme.

I know what you mean about the weather, though it has been a bit lighter here today !!!

Theme wise the image works, though maybe closer in on the sign so losing the bright blue railings would work a bit better, or close in with blue railings leading up and then down... Sorry I am getting carried away :D

I do like your take on sharp Chris, nice colour, and well done sticking with the stacking! Guard, is on theme, hate those frustrating days! Always a re shoot in the future.

Agree with the above, it's on theme and well exposed given the conditions. I actually like the blue railings as they act as bookends, for want of a better word, for the coastguard sign in the same colour
Yep, the weather has been, and continues to be, cack here as well hence my indoor effort for this week's theme.

The thing that is not obvious from that shot and that I did not realise until I got down there, is that the corners of the building either side of the Coastguard sign stick out so I couldn’t get a tighter angle on it, I did try but it just meant losing letters at the ends of the sign. So short of a very dull, square-on shot of the sign that was about the best I could do and it was about 4pm and about to go dark, then it’s back to work for the week and no chance of daylight.

Anyway enough whinging, thanks for taking the time to comment

Image fits the theme well Chris, I like the moody sky! I seem to be having similar problems with this one this week, tough one!

Nice take on Guard(ed) Chris love the moody sky. I wonder what it would look like as a mono?

Certainly on theme the dark patch on the right looks a little odd

Nice take on Guard(ed) Chris love the moody sky. I wonder what it would look like as a mono?

Certainly on theme the dark patch on the right looks a little odd

Thanks both, hadn't noticed that dark patch, I pushed it a bit to get some detail in the sky so could be due to that. I did try a few mono conversions but preferred the colour, but then I usually do

Last edited:
Id agree that Guard isnt the most immediate subject, but yet you still went out witht he camera and took a picture, therefore the 52 works.... lol

Im also looking forward to spme daylight again.

Id agree that Guard isnt the most immediate subject, but yet you still went out witht he camera and took a picture, therefore the 52 works.... lol

Im also looking forward to spme daylight again.
Thanks Mark, I think we've all been in the same situation at some point :)

Well on theme Chris, shame about the weather which we are all getting.

Nice colours to the building and the guard is on a 3rd so in the right place.

The yellow on the step and blue on the handrail catch my eye.

A bit meh but things will be a lot easier when the nights get lighter. I've found this weekend and this theme a bit frustrating, tried lots of things but they didn't work for one reason or another so here's something with the word "guard" in it anyway...

CoastGuard by Chris H, on Flickr

I feel your pain Chris - not been easy so you've not done too bad at all mate. You managed to get a bit of cloudy, moody bits in too

Back