Sirch 52 in 2018, third time lucky, week 52, Showcase

Ooh, I really like your Autumn image! There still seems to be a lot of green around here at the moment so maybe we're running late with the full Autumnal colours, but yours is spot on with the rolling hills, yellowing leaves and grasses, and of course the brooding sky. Spot on!

Either image would be fine for Hollow, but you know the winner has to be the "obvious" hollow in the tree with the very un-obvious stack of blue buckets. Good colours in the moss and the dead leaves, which sets off the blue very nicely :D

More buckets, the new trains it would seem

Ooh, I really like your Autumn image! There still seems to be a lot of green around here at the moment so maybe we're running late with the full Autumnal colours, but yours is spot on with the rolling hills, yellowing leaves and grasses, and of course the brooding sky. Spot on!

Either image would be fine for Hollow, but you know the winner has to be the "obvious" hollow in the tree with the very un-obvious stack of blue buckets. Good colours in the moss and the dead leaves, which sets off the blue very nicely :D
Thanks both, I went out to shoot the cave but saw the tree and thought it was quite good.

Love the Autumn shot, very Scottish Highland scenic.

I prefer the cave hollow shot and those buckets get everywhere now. :)
Thanks Stan, the colours in the Highlands were lovely this year.

Autumn
There's a nice contrast between the bright foreground and dark sky. I also like the layering effect of yellow, brown and dark grey.

Hollow

Them buckets get everywhere, they're becoming more of a problem than plastic pollution.
I prefer the cave photo.

Hi Chris.

Autumn - No blue buckets, I'm disappointed. Good colour matching. well taken, but somehow it doesn't have the impact that many of your shots do.

Hollow - Good to see the buckets back. I'm not going with the flow here, I prefer the tree shot. I think because the greens are bright along with the buckets.

Autumn
There's a nice contrast between the bright foreground and dark sky. I also like the layering effect of yellow, brown and dark grey.

Hollow

Them buckets get everywhere, they're becoming more of a problem than plastic pollution.
I prefer the cave photo.
Thanks Dominic, I'm busy herding the buckets into winter pastures so they shouldn't be a problem :D

Hi Chris.

Autumn - No blue buckets, I'm disappointed. Good colour matching. well taken, but somehow it doesn't have the impact that many of your shots do.

Hollow - Good to see the buckets back. I'm not going with the flow here, I prefer the tree shot. I think because the greens are bright along with the buckets.
Thanks Tim, I do agree about the autumn shot, I was away in the highlands with the F&C crowd from here and it was just a bit of grab shot to get something in for the week. I did shoot a blue boat (as in blue vessel) against some autumn trees but it wasn't worth publishing.

On no! It's a train shot :D

This loco, Princess Elizabeth, was my Dad's and was last run by my son a few years ago. I shot this on a view camera on 5x4 Ilford HP5 film. The use of movements in the camera means that I could keep the whole loco in focus even though it is not square on to the camera and is a macro shot.

PrincessElizabeth by Chris H, on Flickr

Chris

Autumn, lots of lovely golden colours all together. Nice bold sky.

Hollow, two more blue bucket shots, of which I prefer the tree due to the green moss on the bark.

Model, That must have taken some fiddling (or twiddling) to get the model all in focus.
How old was that HP5, I assume you keep it in the fridge. Good job. How do you get that size negative as a positive, back in the day my 35mm film when into an enlarger.

Pete

The Princess looking good despite no coal supply!

I was going for model train (City of London) engine shot too but like you the tender is missing and I just can't find it anywhere. The mono works well and the model buildings add interest to the shot.

I thought about one of my model trains or cars, but changed my mind. A good image well taken and it looks great in the grainy mono.

Chris

Autumn, lots of lovely golden colours all together. Nice bold sky.

Hollow, two more blue bucket shots, of which I prefer the tree due to the green moss on the bark.

Model, That must have taken some fiddling (or twiddling) to get the model all in focus.
How old was that HP5, I assume you keep it in the fridge. Good job. How do you get that size negative as a positive, back in the day my 35mm film when into an enlarger.

Pete

The Princess looking good despite no coal supply!

Thanks all, yes, couldn't find the tender, I've no idea where that has gone since all the other bits were in one box. The film is only a few months old, you can still buy 5x4 but it is a bit pricey.

I do like the 5x4s you have put in previously, the bin and camera, this is no exception, do you normally clean up the negatives I can see some dust and scratches on this one

I do like the 5x4s you have put in previously, the bin and camera, this is no exception, do you normally clean up the negatives I can see some dust and scratches on this one
Thanks, yes I normally clone out the dust in LR and should have done here but I was obviously going a bit cross-eyed on Sunday because it didn't seem too bad after I'd scanned it but looking at it again it does need some work.

Model

Choo chooooo
Black and white works well, the dark train against the light bg.

Chris, what does "The use of movements in the camera" mean? It's not a term I've come across before, but whatever it is, I like how it allows you to keep the whole model in focus.
I love the pizza cutter wheels on the train. It really dates it. They don't make them like that anymore!!!

Model

Choo chooooo
Black and white works well, the dark train against the light bg.
Thanks Dominic :)

Chris, what does "The use of movements in the camera" mean? It's not a term I've come across before, but whatever it is, I like how it allows you to keep the whole model in focus.
I love the pizza cutter wheels on the train. It really dates it. They don't make them like that anymore!!!
Thanks Tim, I wonder if the "Princess Elizabeth" was ever renamed after her coronation? I suppose the "modern" term for it is tilt-shift. With some view cameras, including the MPP, you can tilt and swing (vertical and horizontal rotations) both the lens plane and the film plane making it possible to change the angle of the plane of focus so that subjects that are not normal to the camera axis can be kept in focus - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheimpflug_principle

Corner

Yup, I think it's pretty self explanatory.
The socket and plug do give a bit of a sense of scale.

Certainly fits the CURRENT theme :)

Chris

Corner, very clean, no hairs which is good. Image does not look straight due to the perspective (but is)

Pete

Ok big comment catch up

Low - nice empty beach
Match - aw cute pair I like that you are not looking down on them.
Music - you say cliche I say classic its a great shot.
Hard - hard poppies works for me still an impressive display despite the diminished numbers
Creature - well focused and good timing to capture that one.
Synthetic - great shots I remember spending ages trying to get bubble photos before not as easy as I thought it would be.
Bright - works for me.
Elegant - Ballet certainly fits the bill great shot.
Derelict - great ruins .
Home - more ruins but it fits I like the textures in the stones.
Round - lovely little engine, I like the reflection too
Cooking - looks tasty good food shot
Short - I like the inclusion of the cup in the background.
Forked - the b/w works I like the clouds.
Refuse - that is one very old bin with lots of character.
Dark - Great work on the selfie the empty space works well.
Splash - Works well geed feel of movement, I agree if you lost some of the top it would enhance it.
Art - I agree it is not art.
Bizarre - hmm
Wild - more blue buckets but I like this one its fun.
Autumn - great colours spot on for the theme and a lovely view
Hollow - those buckets are having quite an adventure I like the cave picture best.
Model - spot on for the theme
Corner-
Certainly fits the CURRENT theme :)
Groan but he is right

Too the point and on theme.

Chris

Corner, very clean, no hairs which is good. Image does not look straight due to the perspective (but is)

Pete

On theme Chris ;)
Verticals seem vertical. Er, not sure what else to say.

Thanks all, I don't know what to say about it either :)

Ok big comment catch up

Low - nice empty beach
Match - aw cute pair I like that you are not looking down on them.
Music - you say cliche I say classic its a great shot.
Hard - hard poppies works for me still an impressive display despite the diminished numbers
Creature - well focused and good timing to capture that one.
Synthetic - great shots I remember spending ages trying to get bubble photos before not as easy as I thought it would be.
Bright - works for me.
Elegant - Ballet certainly fits the bill great shot.
Derelict - great ruins .
Home - more ruins but it fits I like the textures in the stones.
Round - lovely little engine, I like the reflection too
Cooking - looks tasty good food shot
Short - I like the inclusion of the cup in the background.
Forked - the b/w works I like the clouds.
Refuse - that is one very old bin with lots of character.
Dark - Great work on the selfie the empty space works well.
Splash - Works well geed feel of movement, I agree if you lost some of the top it would enhance it.
Art - I agree it is not art.
Bizarre - hmm
Wild - more blue buckets but I like this one its fun.
Autumn - great colours spot on for the theme and a lovely view
Hollow - those buckets are having quite an adventure I like the cave picture best.
Model - spot on for the theme
Corner- Groan but he is right

Wow, really appreciate you taking the time to go through them all, thanks, :)

Not really "filthy" and it is a bit of shoehorn because I shot this for other reasons but it's close enough and I am not going to get anything else now for this week.
Far Arnside Rubbish by Chris H, on Flickr

Back