Siskin

sawman

Private James Frazer
Edit My Images
No
Caught this one in the rain this morning.
Siskin5.jpg

So sharp - what lens?

Sharp enough isn't it. Have you done much / anything to the background? It looks.. almost time-tunnelish.

Jamie.

:D Yes, it looks like the aurora borealis .. specially the one in The Snowman!

Is it a female or a young/un , sawman?

Nice capture well done.

Thanks for the comments. As to the background. It is as was in the camera. The green at the bottom is just grass & the dark at the top is a thicket of young Birch. Just shot out of focus.
The bird itself is an important find for the hill as until I put up the hide & started to really study what was coming I had never seen a Siskin on the hill before. To find they have bred (yes its a young un) is even more exciting.

How can you tell the difference between a female and a youngster. It looks exactly like the female that I photographed earlier in the year.

How can you tell the difference between a female and a youngster. It looks exactly like the female that I photographed earlier in the year.

It's a Man thing , we're trained from an early age ;)

Ps. Excellent shot (y)

A fair clue would be the male was feeding it

Dont the males feed the females too around mating time... perhaps they have a second brood.

Nope you are right. They DO have a second brood, but this is a juvenile as they have more streaks on their breasts than the females.

Mightve known youd be right!! (y)

Last edited:
Just for you Janice. I think you will agree this is a young bird. Look at the base of the beak. Looks like a young bird to me.
Juv_Siskin.jpg

Nope you are right. They DO have a second brood, but this is a juvenile as they have more streaks on their breasts than the females.

Mightve known youd be right!! (y)

Wonder why the male was feeding it when it can sit at the feeder and feed itself :shrug:

Here is my female... looks the same to me.. but I will bow to your superior knowledge :D

siskinf.jpg

Last edited:
yes, I agree! (y)

Good & dont believe all you read in bird books either. There is only one young one coming to the food so I am assuming thats all there is. As to a second brood I would think that would depend very much on weather & if there is enough food about. But I am just a Hillbilly what would I know.

lol nice one Charlie, another bird i havent knowingly seen before

Thanks Ian. On the subject of feeding. I watched a Blue Tit putting food into a fledged Gt Tit that just happened to be handy. Was not fast enough to get a shot though:shrug:

That is an excellent sharp capture Charlie ... (y) ... really lovely birds and we were so surprised to see them in such large numbers on our recent and just finished trip to Loch Awe ... :eek:

BTB ... if you saw it being fed there is no question it is a youngster ... :D

Yours is definitely a female though J ... ;) ... absence of streaking to the under belly would be a clincher added to the fact yours was probably captured a few weeks ago before any young had hatched/fledged ... :shrug:

:p

That is an excellent sharp capture Charlie ... (y) ... really lovely birds and we were so surprised to see them in such large numbers on our recent and just finished trip to Loch Awe ... :eek:

BTB ... if you saw it being fed there is no question it is a youngster ... :D

Yours is definitely a female though J ... ;) ... absence of streaking to the under belly would be a clincher added to the fact yours was probably captured a few weeks ago before any young had hatched/fledged ... :shrug:

I am saying no more on the subject of Juv Siskins. Oor Janice will be after me!
Hope you had a good time at Loch Awe. South side?

I am saying no more on the subject of Juv Siskins. Oor Janice will be after me!
Hope you had a good time at Loch Awe. South side?

:LOL: at you and Janice ... :cautious: ... she must have really scared you during her visit ... :eek:

;)

The opposite side to where the Ospreys are nesting ... :shrug: ... but we did get some awesome views of them fishing and soaring and even hovering ... :D

We were close (1 mile) to Dalavich if that means anything to you ... :thinking: ... but suffered from bleedin' midges when it wasn't blowing a hooley or raining stair rods (every day but at least not all day ... :shrug:)

What a little beauty :D Not seen any Siskins around here for a while now. I think they head up your way for the rest of the year though :shrug:

Aye I am richt feert of Janice. She isnae really a bad auld thing though.
I know your area well enough Though it has been a year or two sice I last worked over there.
Next time try the East coast. No midges!

Aye I am richt feert of Janice. She isnae really a bad auld thing though.
I know your area well enough Though it has been a year or two sice I last worked over there.
Next time try the East coast. No midges!

She just likes to give that impression ... :cautious: ... right ... :D

Seriously though ... :thinking: ... no midges on the East Coast ... :cautious: ... how does that work ... :shrug:

I have to say I have done the Grampians around Aviemore, Eagle Valley, Inverness, Loch Ness and stuff before and certainly don't recall any of the little blighters but that might have been time of year ... :shrug:

We get the odd midge but nothing like as bad as the west. Its all that moisture & warm air they get. They usually start about May till it gets colder.
As to the J woman. She is not that bad really. I just let her think I am feert. Truth is I usually canna get a word in when her & Mrs Sawman get started. I usually find it best to take dog for a long walk.:LOL:

Back