Sitting cub

I bet you could sell that image to greeting card companies, etc.? Not sure how to do that though. A bit of a shame about that strand of rye grass across the front leg, but the eyes still carry the shot.

I bet you could sell that image to greeting card companies, etc.? Not sure how to do that though. A bit of a shame about that strand of rye grass across the front leg, but the eyes still carry the shot.

Jules, at some stage soon if the consequnces of C19 continue, I'm gonna need all the help from the business lads I can get. I've have never sold an image. I haven't a clue how to?? Your words above are humbling bro,being a photographer is something I aspire to I want it like a B............. but no one has ever said the above to me before. Thanks man that kind !!!!!

I can hold up my hand to the grass head mate that's me, I don't want it to look like my hand placed everything here,but it pretty much did. , I don't want to hide the how's of this mate,but the choices and failings i'll own, It needs to be rough and scraggy like nature and me buddy, I don't know how else to express this. :D

Lovely capture Stu - that stare is great, I can almost see your reflection :)

Russ

Do you really think it's ok Russ? I had a few niggles in post, especially the last sharps stage. Lord only know how many times I went back not happy you'ld spot if it was wrong I guess, our recent chat on Mikes thread tells me that. But yeah not quite sure on this one ;)
Ha mate up close their eyes just mess with me, they are fantastic At times they have given me goose bumps, they stare especially" PK" and it goes right through ya to your soul, giives me the hebegebees at times :LOL:

cheers both

stu

That's a fantastic photo Stuart, I cant believe how sharp the details is, it's incredible. love the stare and the glint in his eye.

Lovely pal deffo a print for your wall, the only thing I would do is crop a little off the bottom of the image, the oof brown soil/grass then it perfection

That's a fantastic photo Stuart, I cant believe how sharp the details is, it's incredible. love the stare and the glint in his eye.

thanks Mick He's been jumpy as hell these last days,nice to catch him, cheers for the lovely wordsand your time

stu

Lovely pal deffo a print for your wall, the only thing I would do is crop a little off the bottom of the image, the oof brown soil/grass then it perfection

thanks buddy. I keep forgetting to water the edge of the pond, my bad, that's what you have spotted at the base of frame

many thanks mate
stu

I also read the rest of the thread too after seeing this, what a treat for you and what an experience, I think they a beautiful creatures even though folk some regard them as vermin. fantastic pictures Stuart.

Thats ace Stuart, the eye contact makes it so personal.

lads bless ya both call me stu, lol I only get stuart when I'm in the dog house :LOL:

I also read the rest of the thread too after seeing this, what a treat for you and what an experience, I think they a beautiful creatures even though folk some regard them as vermin. fantastic pictures Stuart.

It's been amazing Mick, hard but amazing . I adore our red fox Mick but over the years they have caused me some sorrow. They will never be vermin to me , I sort of hate the word ,

Sadly Mick with no real apex predators here, no wolves bears lynx, there is nothing to keep our fox population in check bar disease, Disease is the most horrible form of population control I've seen this, a sick fox riddled with mange barely able to walk it's deeply harrowing .

We will also need some form of fox control ,it's simply trying to keep a balance within an ecosystem. It's hard Mick ,you don't do what ive just tried to do without being sllightly besotted with the subjects . This is why I've tried so hard not to humanise them, I wouldn't have a chance with mum ,but the cubs could be influenced. and that might make then vunerable especially here where I live .

A very difficult subject to talk about without getting emotional Mick, When say a farmers lively hood is being trashed say lambs being killed, or an extremely rare bird being predated, sometimes steps have to be taken. It will never sit easy with me ,by the same token, I'd rather a quick clean death than the horrors of mange and the like,

We live in a world that we dominate, we breed more an more and there is less place for everything else, our ecosystem is almost artificial now, most of the things we don't like we have eradicated externminated. Bears wolves lynx all wiped of the face of these isles

Yet old charlie fox has run rings around us and is still here, I have so much deep respect for that ,

Mick thanks again, the tough gigs sometimes are the most rewarding, i'm still as bewildered now as when I saw that first set frames .

Thats ace Stuart, the eye contact makes it so personal.

cheers Steve nice they came back for a couple of days I wondered !!

Ha mate up close their eyes just mess with me, they are fantastic At times they have given me goose bumps, they stare especially" PK" and it goes right through ya to your soul, giives me the hebegebees at times :LOL:
- those eyes are just spot on, mate - they just held my gaze so that I never even noticed the rest of the animal!!! Altogether a cracking shot Stu (y)

Russ

- those eyes are just spot on, mate - they just held my gaze so that I never even noticed the rest of the animal!!! Altogether a cracking shot Stu (y)

Russ

forgive me buddy:rolleyes:. cheers for coming back . My mate,:), said cub, is that tad darker than mum 'n' cubbinm's When you are playing with fire, techs wise, ie iso 16000 that nudge on EXP made him really hard for me to process. . I went back on this edit for hours Russ, hours an hours that's why I asked .:)

Their eyes bewilder me they enchant...... I f fee like a duck on a decoy...... I can;t really put that into words, I try to not see them when making images...... just put a red box on one. frame it make make an image best not stare at that right now :LOL:

Russ do you understand "duck in a decoy" i'm a bit vague at times:rolleyes::D ,if not have a dig centered around fox coloured dogs emulating the behaviour of a fox hunting waterfowl. Now used as a conservation tool for ringing,

The behaviours, the sheer intelligence of " charlie". it really graphically illustrates how a fox can hunt !! .I find it stunning.

A fox is able to lure water fowl into striking distance by playing hide and seek.. it is beyond QED

I've watched this just once Russ, I'll not see it again in my lifetime

.have a dig if you don't already know. Tis a thing of beauty mate..................slimbridge have a duck decoy, betcha 99 % of folks walk past without ever knowing;)

thanks for the comeback Russ I'm too close now,just head down graft, revue tomorrow

Russ do you understand "duck in a decoy" i'm a bit vague at times:rolleyes::D ,if not have a dig centered around fox coloured dogs emulating the behaviour of a fox hunting waterfowl. Now used as a conservation tool for ringing,
- Hi matey - no! New to me I'm afraid, so I'll do a spot of research - thanks for the pointer Stu :) (y)

Russ

Sorry Russ, I spent so so much time, working with birds.................... well birds were my life for years, and I've played around with our wildlife,an little animals all me life. So I forget some of what I know is not so widely known.

It's completely fascinating Russ, one of those things that if it came from the wrong source( IE someone like moi:D:runaway::LOL: folks might laugh at it and def not believe me.I mean a fox coloured dog being used to emulate a fox hunting technique. Where the ducks swim towards the fox not away..it's not terribly believable is it

It's curiosity on the part of the ducks Russ and ol charlei has learnt how to use that curiosity to advantage . As I say bud, I've been incredibly lucky to watch a wild fox do this just once it's remarkable

Rather than me waffling bro, hear it from a proper source :)

Here's something for you from the WWT. https://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/slimbridge/experience/duck-decoy/

Hi Stu, good to see that you're making progress with the foxes! Not so keen on the stare of this one but that's no one's fault! The colours looked a tiny bit washed out but I suspect that's to do with the high ISO. This may be remedied in post. Settings and the WB are spot on though.

On a side note - having large predators would certainly keep their numbers in check, though not necessarily through killing like one would expect, but rather providing competition to food source. Most population growths are due to suitability of environment, On the top of this list is the availability of food - in this case it can be sheep, game birds, or simply the enormous food waste we now generate.

Would love to see the day we have wolves, bears and especially lynx, again - but I'm biased! Having been absent of them for so long, we would have to make huge changes to adapt to their return, if that was at all possible.

Des I haven't understood you, can you elucidate on "not so keen on the stare but that's no one's fault" please for me. Sorry for being dim Des it's flying over my head up there somewhere :LOL:

I struggled Des ,with post processing, this one., I found really difficult compared to so many other images, in the same situation intial file isn't as good, my failing !!

I agree completely on the side note Des, I am very simplistic, the situation I mused above is just that me trying to get a base message out. ecosystems are not simple things, Frankly science barely scratches the surface to me. We seem though to be starting to realise we can put them back...or again simplistically give mum nature a chance, get out of the way and she will do it for us

If one has no habitat one has no fauna

No ecosystem works well ,with out the apex being fulfilled, I stand by the disease comment, not every one here will know what mange can do to a fox, I'd rather they were predated

but yes it's way more complex than just not having apex predators here.

My friend,
to see wolves bears and yup lynx here, oh buddy , I can't tell you or put into words what that would mean to me. We have little to no chance though Des, that little nugget of a behaviour change again just the simple answer we need to think about not breeding, that's the big one

After that ,well We kill an escaped lynx in my country 'cause it got out of a cage, we do the same with a snow leopard. i'm yet to find a proper recorded case of either harming a human. Other humans live with these guys,there's a bit of conflict, but they live together. On my island we kill 'em cause they....erm have teeth???????????????????

I'm a BRIT Des, I morn for what my kin did to my island what my fore fathers took from me. I know damn well lynx can live here, there will be this report of a beast and that odd sheep kill but it probably wouldn't amount to much more as they are so secretive. Having seen one so called wild ( itwas living that way but , it was captiive first, no doubt!! Having bumped into that fella at a few yards.......... way long ago, , I know they could be here and know what was being reported at the time.. I'd suspect that if their were more in captivity when the 1981 wildlife and countryisde act came in we might just have sneaked a viable population under the radar as it were. I suspect they are gone now,but who knows.??

Of those three predators Des, the lynx might be the one apex pred we could get back, to me a simple man that's the one there is hope for.

Mate, my countyman can't even think of their own human vunerable and make a few changes to protect them

My countryman won't be making no changes for a bear or wolf.

We could sneek a few lynx around though :)

Back