Beginner Sizing for presentation question

Name
Bruce
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to find out if i need to resize various images landscape/portrait to display them as a slide show from laptop to projector onto an 8ft x 8ft screen,Im assuming the size on screen is dependant on distance between the projector and the screen,Any input appreciated.

What software are you using for the slideshow? Some (eg PPT?) will resize everything to the dimensions of the projector, IIRC.

The size of the physical screen is irrelevant. What you need to know is the resolution of the projector, in pixels. 1400x1050 and 1024x768 are quite common resolutions.

Some software will resize images as and when needed, to fit the projector resolution. But that can make the presentation run quite sluggishly if the software needs to do a ton of work every time an image is required to be resized.

I have not been able to discover the projector type as it will be at the venue of the presentation and acquired by others,i have assumed 1034 x 768,Does it need to be altered for Landscape/Portrait orientation? As far as sharpening is concerned the pics are not original files and may already have had processing,So maybe avoid all but possibly sizing.

i have assumed 1034 x 768,Does it need to be altered for Landscape/Portrait orientation?
If it is 1024 [sic] x 768 then 1024 is the horizontal resolution and 768 is the vertical resolution. So landscape images can be projected up to 1024x768, square images will be 768x768, and portrait images might be something like 576x768 or 512x768.

Note that most projectors have a 4:3 aspect ratio, whereas most SLRs are 3:2. So you can't use the full resolution of the projector without cropping your images to make them a different size. If you want to keep the images the same shape as they came out of the camera, then your maximum resolution for projecting is 1024x683 landscape or 512x768 portrait.

Thanks Stewart,I will adopt your suggestions, Do you agree that sharpening can be left? It will be very time consuming to adjust each one and these pics will be shown in a loop in the background whilst guests gather for a separate video presentation,Thanks Bruce.

Do you agree that sharpening can be left? It will be very time consuming to adjust each one and these pics will be shown in a loop in the background whilst guests gather for a separate video presentation
Sounds to me like image quality isn't necessarily the highest priority....

Back