Week / Themes

0 - NEARBY
1 - FRUIT
2 - Dirty
3 - Rock / Stone

Last edited:
Week 0 - Theme Nearby.

Parish Church in Cirencester.

Pushing my luck a bit with the slow shutter speed and high iso on this one.

Theme%20-%20Nearby%20--%20Parish%20Church%20Nightime%20Jan%202021-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Taken with Sony A7R2 with Loxia 21mm Lens 1/10 sec at 6400 iso at F4

Last edited:
I can't see any noise or shake so you've definitely "gotten away with it" :)

The starburst on the streetlight looks like you might have been using quite a tight aperture? For me - there's a little wasted space at the bottom, and I might have been tempted to go just to the other side of the "humps for 110 m" sign, accept that the verticals won't be, and the correct in post? You might be able to use the tree and the night sky to then nicely frame the tower?

The exposure is spot on and it looks like a lovely area - I think there's a great photo to be made here and I'm envious that you have some proper history on your doorstep!

@Shugpug thanks for the comments.

Good point i forgot to add that bit in the info, now corrected it was F4.
The loxia does produce lovely sunstars / starbursts.
I have already cropped a bit to get rid of cars at the bottom of the frame.

I tried taking it around the bend on the right hand side and it made the verticals all weird which i could not correct in post.

Last edited:
@Pinkbikerbabe

Thanks Mandy, yes i saw your lovely image, i have tried the view you took before but i have never managed to get the verticals to look right, but you certainly did.

Last edited:
Good image! I can't see any evidence of shake or noise on that at all. As others have said, if you could have found a way of not having the street clutter, that would be nice.

Cirencester, I know that place. I didn't recognise that church from the other side, in Mandy's shot.

That's a nice exposure Simon, nicely framed. (y)

I like it. I hate the council though, for those road signs.
That said, 5 minutes in PS gets rid of them.

I had to google for the Loxia lens. Looks good. Quite pricey though, but on your evidence it produces the goods.

I love the lighting and the feel of the shot.
The streetsigns are a bit annoying (damn council!), but I wouldn't even know where to start cloning them out.

A good low light pic and I like that you've kept the verticals straight. Signs spoil it a bit though.

I struggled with the fruit theme photos this week, this is the second time i have shot the fruit pics and i am still not sure about them.
I do not have an external flash or know how to use one if i did, so these were taken with the rx100`s in built flash as when i tried it just with natural light it was way too dark.

But i guess that`s the whole point of the 52 to get you out of your comfort zone and taking these it did, my preferred genre is landscapes i know what i am doing with them :D

They work for me :)

I agree with your choice of #1 over #2, as you've successfully hidden any hard edged shadows in #1 whereas they are more obvious in the second.
I do feel that the plate is a bit grey. Obviously I don't know for certain, but that type of plate in my experience is white (I'll be wrong now won't I).
So either the flash could have been upped a bit, or, in pp the whites could be boosted to give a more contrasty white feel.

You are correct the plate is white, I will have a go in LR

Last edited:
Are the plates grey? If they are then these clever photos are well taken. If they are white then you need to over expose like you would if you were photographing snow. Camera meters want to turn everything grey, indeed, if you had an old camera with a simple under/correct/over exposure meter, they way to check for correct exposure would be to use an 18% grey card, or in emergency, the palm of your hand to check the available light. If you try to photograph a very white scene without adjustment, the meter will under-expose the picture leading to grey whites. People often make the mistake of reducing the exposure when confronted with snow when in fact they should be over-exposing. Your plates, if indeed they are white, may be causing the greyness.

Edit:
Sorry, I'm repeating things as I've just read the post above mine.

Last edited:
I think i set the rx100`s in built flash at -1 exposure to not be too bright but as pointed out it needs a bit more tlc in PP now to fix

Hi

The second one works better for me, and they say three is the magic number.

I think whatever BG you use, plate/chopping-board, it's generally best it fills the frame (nothing to do with the current technique), and perhaps your picture could be cropped to do so. Just a thought.

Nice fruit art.

I'm with @d00d odd numbers seem to work better, but both nice in their own way.

both very creative I like the simplicity of the second one

I like the crabs, they are so sweet.

Great take on a subject, I love the crabs as they are fun and funky but the butterflies are stunning. Great start to the 52, I look forward to what you come up with in the future.

Both very creative. I'm with you.. landscapes are my bag - lighting, flash etc is beyond my roll call ;)

Week 1 - Fruit

Converted to black and white for a bit of fun in Lightroom

Week%201%20--%20Theme%20Fruit%20%20--%20Butterfly%20B%2BW--2-X2.jpg

Week%201%20--%20Theme%20Fruit%20%20--%20Butterfly%20Negative--X2.jpg
Week 1 Fruit

Again just for fun -- Converted into a negative

Last edited:
The flies for me too - although I prefer the first version I'm afraid (or the very surreal negative!) The tweaks look a little generally overexposed to me now - might be worth tweaking the whites and highlights sliders?

You've got "Edit Images" as Yes, so I've had a quick play with it - let me know if this isn't OK and I'll take it down? It's on my Flickr account as a private photo.

Week 1 -- Theme Fruit -- Butterfly orig--X2 - sjh2008
by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

Your edit looks better than my efforts, thanks for taking the time to tweak it
I can see my version is too bright

Last edited:
It's mucky for sure!

I think I would be climbing over the fence rather than using that gate ! (Even though that does look like barbed wire).
Very on theme. I do find teh background a bit busy though. Potential for a crop?

Yes I went over the fence, I did think afterwards about a crop of the trees in the distance but not sure if it will feel a bit too tight at the top of the frame. It's one to try tomorrow on pc and see how it looks

Back