B&W Skógafoss

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a few a recent trip to Iceland but I'll start with this one as I think its my favourite currently. Still have a few to edit amongst the rest of my Iceland pics but yeah for now.View attachment 34782

Looks so different without snow!

TBH, the B&W conversion hasn't worked too well. It's lost the rainbow's colours and they would add so much to the shot, even if it would then look like so many others of Skogafoss. You did well to get there when there were few other people around - whenever we were there, there were hordes of people wandering round with selfish sticks.

Hi Will.

Lovely waterfall, isn't it? Was full of snow last week and full of tourists!

In respect of the shot, nice composition, would like to see it in colour too. As far as the mono conversion is concerned, image looks very underexposed and lacks any punch to make it stand out.

Really, I quite like it. Feels kinda moody and dramatic. Perhaps I'm deluded, wouldn't be the first time, ha. Horses for courses I guess. Here it is in colour. Thinking now though that this could do with a bit more brightness. Yeah it is a lovely waterfall. Hired a car after first seeing it on a coach tour littered with people and then had to be patient which paid off in the end. :)View attachment 34788

Last edited:
Definitely better in colour imo.
The bw conversion definitely seems too flat.

Fair play. How would you fix it? Is it a case of having to up the whites/ highlights and a bit more contrast to fix the flatness?

I too prefer the colour - lots more detail comes through.

In B&W I think you have to go high contrast with the water fall needing to be brighter and pull some texture into the rock face and foreground.

Rainbows just look weird in B&W! I've got several shots of the falls there without a rainbow and they convert reasonably well - although TBH, they're almost monochrome anyway - snow and water against basalt. You could try playing with the contrast to see if that lifts it but I think it'll always look better in colour.

Fair play. How would you fix it? Is it a case of having to up the whites/ highlights and a bit more contrast to fix the flatness?

I had a play but don't know how to upload (other than via flickr).
black and White levels, clarity and a bit of shadows is all you need to fix.

Definitely better in colour imo.
The bw conversion definitely seems too flat.

I too took the colour jpg from here and played.
Converted to BW....Curves....USM.
There is so much detail in those cliffs Will, honest.

Back