Skies like smoke

Both are good; the first wins for me. I think it's because in the second, the big tree and sky fight for attention, whilst in the first the sky dominates and the trees provide a setting for it.

I like that sort of sky. Usually with the sun behind me poking through a gap....still...both nicely seen and taken. Re 2 - might have timed that for the bird to be out the frame - you can easily remove in PP.

For printing - I'd suggest a light mid tone boost. The sillhoutte is fine but overall it's a shade dark

Both are good; the first wins for me. I think it's because in the second, the big tree and sky fight for attention, whilst in the first the sky dominates and the trees provide a setting for it.

Thanks for taking the time to comment John. I quite liked the tension between the 2, and it was the 'obvious' stronger of the 2 images when selecting what to process, but I can quite see what you mean and the first image is distinctly more harmonious.

I like that sort of sky. Usually with the sun behind me poking through a gap....still...both nicely seen and taken. Re 2 - might have timed that for the bird to be out the frame - you can easily remove in PP.

For printing - I'd suggest a light mid tone boost. The sillhoutte is fine but overall it's a shade dark

Thanks Steve. Good tip about the mid-boost, I appreciate it. As for the bird, that was a choice too, and I nearly used that image first with the title 'fleeing the scene' although it's just a little small to easily carry that off. Without it everything is a bit more comfortable, but I just like the touch of imabalance it brought.

Back