Skies printing Pink?

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have an Epson R1900 and for some reason I cannot figure out why skies are printing pink. I have run a nozzle check three times and ALL print out correctly/perfect.
I have tried printing with Qimage and Photoshop Elements with the same results.
Ran an unglog patern from Qimage came out perfect.
All carts are more than half full.
Any advice please?
Thanks
Russ

Hi, I don't have the calibration equipment for the printer but I do keep my monitor calibrated with the Xrite Pro1. Use an ICC profile from Qimage especially made for the printer to Epson gloss paper for the Gloss prints and one provided by the paper supplier for my Pearl paper. I have tried printing via two differant computers with the same result!! Pink skies instead of blue.
Tried letting the printer manage colours rather than turning off ALL printer driver input via Qimage and PSE.
What I cannot understand is how the nozzle check both with Qimage and via the Epson check all show as they should especially the Epson as it shows no breaks at all in the print out lines just smooth colours. Thank you for the reply. Russ

All a nozzle check will do is show if any colour isn't printing correctly - i.e. the nozzle for that colour is blocked up or not. It won't do anything for colour matching. It would suggest that the printer is working as it should.

It sounds like a mismatch between paper and ink combo and icc profile for that paper and ink, that or both PSE and the printer are trying to manage colour. I haven't used PSE in ages so not sure where the info will be but am pretty sure you will be able to tell it to manage colour and which profile to use and which intent (hint, usually best to use Perceptual). Turn colour management off in the driver and set the paper type as appropriate.

Windows or Mac btw? (not that it matters much)

Also are you using Epson inks?

Hi, No to Epson ink I use Marrutt ink and carts.
On a windows machine.
Tried on Two seperate computers and also printed with a Canon IX6850 and that gave prints as should.
Got a screen capture here just incase someone can see something I am missing?
Qimage.JPG

The likelyhood is that it is the ink that is the issue. If you are using Epson papers then you will need a profile created for the paper and the Marrutt ink, if it is a Marrutt paper they should be able to supply a profile for that paper & ink combo for the R1900, if not they should be able to create one for you. Looking at the screen grab, the print driver looks to be set correctly though I'm not sure what the Photo RPM bit is about ... in PSE the Prtr ICC setting, is that supplied by Marrutt?

Hi, the Prtr ICC setting was compiled by the admin of Qimage and to quote another member on the site "Hell it even works with Staples Premium Gloss"
I have tried printing to Epson Gloss paper but still get the same result.
Again thank you for the input on this. Russ

Sadly I have no idea who the admin of Qimage is or what Qimage is (sorry ...). But one thing is for sure, there is no such thing as a one size fits all profile. Each type of paper has different properties, from its own colour, to the way the surface takes ink and how the coatings react etc ... through to the ink itself in terms of its colour, density and a whole host of other things that go way above my head. Then there is the way that your printer lays down ink. So basically you need a profile for each type of paper and ink combo you will use on that printer. Marrutts will almost certainly either have a generic one for that paper/ink combo for your printer or make you one specifically for your printer with that ink & paper combo and at no charge - well other than a piece of paper, postage and an envelope ;) Definitely worth contacting them imo.

Tried on Two seperate computers and also printed with a Canon IX6850 and that gave prints as should.

If you're keeping everything the same, and it's fine on one printer and not the other, this sounds suspiciously like the profile as that's the only thing that will change as it's printer dependent. The only other thing it could be is ink contamination somehow (highly unlikely-impossible)
I find Epson profiles quite shocking (oddly they give a massive magenta caste to their "press" papers) but you say you're using a Qimage one so as Paul has said, I'd approach Marrutt for a new profile for their ink with your printer on your paper choice. Go from there.

Hi, The good news is I have sorted the problem, it was ink contamination so I cleaned everything (took most of the day to do) but the printer seems to be working OK at this time however
I intend to buy an extra set of refill carts for the Epson R1900 but while looking online there seems to be two kinds or at least the seller/s on some sites state for Pigment or for Dye and to me I cannot see it unless it is in the chip? So anyone tell me is it just selling hype to maybe get more money for stated Pigment or is there differance in the carts?
Thanks,
Russ

there are two types of ink for the Epson photo printers, and there is a difference between the two, Claria type of ink, which is more liquid and penetrates deep inside the paper providing a better image quality and a vast range of colors (as you need to print a good photo). the others are for everyday printing.

Hi, Thank you for the quick reply. The R1900 uses Pigment ink but do the empty carts work on both types of ink or is there differant make up in the carts? Thanks again. Russ

I'd be surprised if you can get dye type inks for the R1900 as it is designed to use pigment based inks. If they are from Marrutt then I'm fairly sure they only supply pigment based inks for that printer.

Back