Skin and ink

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Managed to get a little time shooting this week to preserve my sanity. Got a few to work through.

Small.jpg

WOW, almost like a different person.

Great example of how pose/expression can effect the photograph.

Cheers.

Yes, as you say it's quite striking how much of a contrast in how the subject comes across can be achieved. Something I do try to work on with each person I work with.
I also varied the lighting a fair bit, and quite liked working harder light with this subject.

Headshot small.jpg

Make me wince but well photographed images. I might have cloned out the white stripes on his pants in the first.

Thanks for your time, yes I have pondered the stripes too. I'll do and edit when I have some free time. My only hesitation was that they provide enough information to enable one to grasp the form of what is otherwise a dark area in the image.
I will have a go at cloning them out but may pull some more detail out of those dark areas first.

Many thanks

Regards

Tim

I love these, especially the one of him smiling, although all 3 are spot on!

Thank you Claire, I very much appreciate you taking time to look and your comments. We were fortunate to get a good range of shots while working for a couple of hours. I'm trying to be more disciplined and work through more variations with my subjects. We did quite a lot of work which I can't really post here for one or other reason. He really is a character. Here's another from the session.

Many thanks

Tim

Don Mono small.jpg

Really like this series. The BG in the first is a little distracting and the 3rd is my favourite. Looks like quite a character!

Yes, as you say it's quite striking how much of a contrast in how the subject comes across can be achieved. Something I do try to work on with each person I work with.
I also varied the lighting a fair bit, and quite liked working harder light with this subject.

View attachment 116778

For me this is working much better than the earlier shots of this subject. I'd be tempted to go even more dramatic with the light - but then I always am.

Really like this series. The BG in the first is a little distracting and the 3rd is my favourite. Looks like quite a character!

Thank you very much Graeme, really appreciate your input, I shot against a few background and changed things around a fair bit and agree the first background didn't suit what we were doing. Yes he is very much a character.

For me this is working much better than the earlier shots of this subject. I'd be tempted to go even more dramatic with the light - but then I always am.

Thank you Simon, I'm really chuffed that these are working better than the initial images I did with this subject. I'm trying to be bolder with the lighting :). I think the image below is perhaps a step closer to dramatic in terms of lighting.

Much appreciated.

Regards

Tim

Don 6 small.jpg

Thank you very much Graeme, really appreciate your input, I shot against a few background and changed things around a fair bit and agree the first background didn't suit what we were doing. Yes he is very much a character.

Thank you Simon, I'm really chuffed that these are working better than the initial images I did with this subject. I'm trying to be bolder with the lighting :). I think the image below is perhaps a step closer to dramatic in terms of lighting.

Much appreciated.

Regards

Tim

View attachment 117970

This is very nice!

I know you want to create portraits where you can see the subject but I think with a model like this you could go much further and merely hint at what's going on

Here's a rather old selfie which sort of explains what I mean:

Self
by Simon Carter, on Flickr

or another oldie..

Roo III
by Simon Carter, on Flickr

This is very nice!

I know you want to create portraits where you can see the subject but I think with a model like this you could go much further and merely hint at what's going on

Here's a rather old selfie which sort of explains what I mean:

Thank you Simon, that's really good of you to post some examples. A picture speaks and so on as the cliché goes. In may cases it does so thank you. I´m not tied to seeing all of my subject as such, more a case of having acquired the tools and my own space and working through various styles and ways of using the kit to tailor my own approach. Nice images by the way. I´m fortunate in so much as I get to work with some interesting people and that´s my passion in terms of portraits for their own sake. Obviously I like to factor in creativity and different ways of capturing and delivering my subjects in finished pieces. Here´s another from the same shoot. I've been busy since the start of this month so still working through what I did with this subject and finding a few gems along the way.

Once again, thank you very much.

Regards

Tim

Don 8 small.jpg

Great set of portraits. I like 3rd and 6th shots you have posted - the more 'thoughtful expression' ones. Definately a character; he has a face that makes you (me) want to know a bit more about the person and you have captured that well. Not sure the pose with the duster 'works'. Sorry i can't add much technically.

Just what I was thinking.

Thank you very much Gremlin for taking a look, much appreciated. I'm going to sort the stripes and pull out some more detail in the pants so as not end up with just a dark area devoid of detail.

Great set of portraits. I like 3rd and 6th shots you have posted - the more 'thoughtful expression' ones. Definately a character; he has a face that makes you (me) want to know a bit more about the person and you have captured that well. Not sure the pose with the duster 'works'. Sorry i can't add much technically.

Thank you Biker, really appreciate your time and comments. I really enjoy trying to get something of the person to come across in my people pictures. Sometimes a delicate balance depending the subject and circumstances of the shoot.

Many thanks

Tim

I love the last one. Did youo get any with the cigarette lit? I imagine smoke wisps would add to it nicely

I love the last one. Did youo get any with the cigarette lit? I imagine smoke wisps would add to it nicely

Thank you Nick for looking and replying. Much appreciated. We got a couple with smoke and with hindsight maybe something we could have done more with.
I'm also doing some full on edits for the subject, one of which I've also put below. Thank you.

Regards

Tim

Don Smoke small.jpg

Don Skull Small.jpg

Yes I hear you Simon, these are all from the same shoot, I will go for the dramatic lighting very soon. As always your thoughts are appreciated.

Regards

Tim

Love the new additions Tim, that guy has such character and I think you've really captured it well. I love the smoke one, I tried this with my hubby a few times and it really can add something to the shot. Keep up the good work!!

Back