Skippers...both Grizzled and Dingy...more images added.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
After a long hibernation(for me) of 7 months, it was great to finally get out with the cameras, an shoot some Butterfly images.
A strange start to the season so far, because of the unusual cold/weather/climate weve had in the UK.
Also, ive lacked motivation to actually pick up a camera, but hopefully after a few sessions out in the field(chasing these rapid little swines) my motivation has returned.
Grizzled Skippers wingspan is 23-29mm.
Dingly Skippers wingspan is 27-34mm.
Whilst these Skippers appear "Mothlike", they are some of our Smallest Butterflies in the UK.

Some images then, cheers Paul.
PS. most of my images are not cropped (just downsized) but i may crop an image occassionally. The 2nd image down, is the only one cropped.

Grizzled Skipper Butterfly. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Dingy Skipper Butterfly. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Grizzled Skipper Butterfly. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Grizzled Skipper Butterfly. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Grizzled Skipper Butterfly. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

A great set to come back too, I really like the BG`s on these shots, nice and dreamy :)

Well I should hope these help you get your enthusiasm back. I think they look really good, particularly to my eye #3, #4 and #5.

Cheers Nick, i think we all go through a stage at some point, when we lack motivation...it happens to us all.

Because i know you like some details about images ;)...3 and 4 were shot using Panny FZ330/500D close up filter. With 5, i used Panny G80/45-150mm lens/500D close up filter.
This season, im shooting at f/8 (for the most part) with FZ330. But with the G80, im shooting up to f/16......The reason is - when the Butterflies have their wings open, i want to capture as much of that butterfly in focus(focal plane). In past seasons, i would not go beyond f/5 for my FZ330. I would also rarely go beyond f/8 for the G80 set up. This is fine, when shooting butterflies, when their wings are closed (less to get in focus) but to try an capture all 4 wings/body/head/antennae/eyes/hair, all in focus, ive had to have a re-think, an up the apertures.
Not forgetting both camera set ups always have 500D close up filters attached.

A great set to come back too, I really like the BG`s on these shots, nice and dreamy :)

Cheers Graham, im always chasing that uncluttered background, which is going to be harder this season, because im shooting up to f/16.

Cheers Nick, i think we all go through a stage at some point, when we lack motivation...it happens to us all.

I think so. It certainly happens to me. The first three months of this year for example!

Because i know you like some details about images ;)...

Yes I do, so thanks for that.

3 and 4 were shot using Panny FZ330/500D close up filter. With 5, i used Panny G80/45-150mm lens/500D close up filter.
This season, im shooting at f/8 (for the most part) with FZ330. But with the G80, im shooting up to f/16......The reason is - when the Butterflies have their wings open, i want to capture as much of that butterfly in focus(focal plane). In past seasons, i would not go beyond f/5 for my FZ330. I would also rarely go beyond f/8 for the G80 set up. This is fine, when shooting butterflies, when their wings are closed (less to get in focus) but to try an capture all 4 wings/body/head/antennae/eyes/hair, all in focus, ive had to have a re-think, an up the apertures.
Not forgetting both camera set ups always have 500D close up filters attached.

Interesting. That is very similar to setups and settings that I've used. Going for greater depth of field - that I understand well of course!

Fabulous Paul, you really do make some wonderful wonderful flutterby images,

I guess we all get times when the image making bug isn't really there, if it helps get you fired back up you really helped me last year,

Sure I didn't go on that many deadicated butterfly shoots but some of them were magical : as well as chasing skippers I finally saw my first large blues and also lucked into a common blue colony ...well maybe colony maybe just a roost ? it was astounding they were everywhere mating and courting all around me,it was just magical Paul. I truly don't think I'd have had these experiences without you teaching me about the grizzled skippers mate .

Thanks for sharing bro not only the above images Paul, which, as always, are an inspiration in themselves but your knowledge it was priceless to me

take care

stu

Wonderful shots well done getting them these little butterflies are tricky to photograph and the grizzled are not very common

I think so. It certainly happens to me. The first three months of this year for example!

Yes I do, so thanks for that.

Interesting. That is very similar to setups and settings that I've used. Going for greater depth of field - that I understand well of course!
I agree, the 1st 3 months of this year were hard going!
Yes Nick, i know you strive for greater depth of field. Its not something i really have done in the past, but this year, its time for me to try some new settings.

Fabulous Paul, you really do make some wonderful wonderful flutterby images,

I guess we all get times when the image making bug isn't really there, if it helps get you fired back up you really helped me last year,

Sure I didn't go on that many deadicated butterfly shoots but some of them were magical : as well as chasing skippers I finally saw my first large blues and also lucked into a common blue colony ...well maybe colony maybe just a roost ? it was astounding they were everywhere mating and courting all around me,it was just magical Paul. I truly don't think I'd have had these experiences without you teaching me about the grizzled skippers mate .

Thanks for sharing bro not only the above images Paul, which, as always, are an inspiration in themselves but your knowledge it was priceless to me

take care

stu
Cheers for that Stu, its really appreciated mate. I was only too glad to offer you help in your search for your local colonies of Grizzled Skippers.
I think its great that we can all inspire each other (at one point or another) in our journey with wildlife photography, i know ive been inspired by other peoples images in the past.
Its always great to experience some "small wildlife moments in time" an glad you had some butterfly moments yourself last year (i had a few of em myself too).
Im almost "back in the saddle"...just need this darn weather to sort itself out, so the butterflies can do what they do. Once i get some more sessions in out there, im sure my mojo will be full steam ahead mate. Even just being out in the field, its so rewarding for your health...i dont think it can be beaten. Cheers Paul.

Beautiful shots as always Paul, and I hope you've got your mojo back so we can see plenty more of them!

Cheers,

Dave
Cheers for that Dave.
A strange start to the butterfly season so far...i reckon we are approx 2 weeks behind, what is thought to be a "normal season".
Im going further...im saying we are close to a month behind...Im saying May is like April...so June should be more like May!!...if that makes any sense.

Wonderful shots well done getting them these little butterflies are tricky to photograph and the grizzled are not very common
Thanks mate. Yes these Skippers certainly keep us on our toes. They are rapid, low flying little jewels, for the most part.

Stunning Paul getting them to sit is an art form on its own
Cheers for that Kev.
If its wall to wall sunshine, at the warmest part of the day, then its a real struggle to capture any half decent shots of these low flying speed demons...So you have a few choices...either real early in the mornings(silly oclock) which ive not done! Or late in the afternoon/early evening (which is what i do)..............or a cool mostly cloudy day, with some small bursts of sunshine.

Mate you are so welcome but the thanks are mine :) , Aye weather is all over the shop it's such a PITA Agreed bumbling about in the field tis food for the soul only been out a couple of times by god I miss it !!

Paul female top because of the width of abdomen?

Lovely frames !!

Mate you are so welcome but the thanks are mine :) , Aye weather is all over the shop it's such a PITA Agreed bumbling about in the field tis food for the soul only been out a couple of times by god I miss it !!

Paul female top because of the width of abdomen?

Lovely frames !!
Cheers mate, yes the size/shape of her abdomen(much larger than the males) also look at the tip of her abdomen, then look at the tip of the males abdomen. The male has longer/more hair to his tip/end too, an its a different shape. Both of these show a difference in colouration too, but as they start to wear/age, it gets harder to tell the sexes apart. These 2 are good examples, because they are super fresh(probably not long emerged) therefore they are at their best overall condition. They are both showing very little (if any) wear/loss to their tiny wing fringes, the wing fringes are generally the 1st areas to start to wear away.
Im still learning about "visual sexing" all the different species out in the field myself, so if ive got this wrong, im happy to be corrected!...every day is a school day.

Super set of images Paul.
Thanks for that David.

Back