Sko77y - Automotive Shoots/Lightpainting

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Not put anything up here for a few months now, had a steady flow of shoots since starting the facebook page, now it's getting towards the lightpainting season I thought I should update with what I've been doing.

As always, open to critique both good and bad.

#1. BMW Z3MC
BMW Z3MC #4 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

#2.Mazda MX-5 NA Turbo
Jiri's NA Turbo #3 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

#3. Nissan GTR R35
#4 - Merged by Scott Reid, on Flickr

#4. Jaguar XFR
#6 XFR by Scott Reid, on Flickr

#5. Subaru Classic Time Attack
#61 Edit by Scott Reid, on Flickr

#6. Mazda MX-5 NC
NC1 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

#7. Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
Hawkeye WRX Wagon #3 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

#8. Nissan GTR R34 M-Spec
Nissan Skyline GTR M-Spec #4 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Will try and update this thread instead of making several,

Thanks,
Scott

Update #1: IRN-BRU GTR

Well with shoots getting moved about until the weather clears, I've been going back and re-editing shots from a few years ago. The first of which is a snap shot of this unique GTR from Knockhill last year.

R35 Knockhill by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Only thing I will say is WB was fine on my laptop, but when uploading to Instagrump, it got far too warm, so something to look out for in future.

As always critique welcome (good/bad/indifferent).

Really like #6 just wish it had a different car like the Nissan or Jaguar

Not really my thing, but I do like the processing in most of them and can appreciate the skill involved, 4, 6 & 9 being my favourites.

Thanks Neil, much appreciated.

Really like #6 just wish it had a different car like the Nissan or Jaguar

Thanks Baz, #6 was actually a test shot for #3, but he turned up too late and I couldn't get the flash to replicate the shot.

I'll need to go and try again!

Not my thing either but 3 & 6 stand out, great work.

Cars aren't my thing, nothing wrong with the processing, just cool highly polished work.

The better you are the less comments you get sometimes. Reality!
Great work man, keep it up!

Thanks Reinis, much appreciated.

In the spirit of keeping this up to date, here's another from me at my first drift event as media:

DriftlandUK 01.11.2015 #6 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Couple more on my Flickr/Facebook Page, but this is one I'm quite happy with.

As always critique welcome.

Great set there. Particularly like the R34 one, but then I bloody love the R34 GT-R!

Really like the Honda the red light painting picks mirrors the red under bonnet components. With regard to the Porsche I think the problem is the background is more brightly lit than the car and your eye goes there first, also the pole sticking up is a little distracting. Perhaps you may be able to adjust in PP ? or put it down as one of those things

Wow, you've captured the Z3M brilliantly - this was my al time favourite car and the one that got away, I should have bought one when I could and now its just regrets :(

Thanks for bringing back some great memories :)

Really like the Honda the red light painting picks mirrors the red under bonnet components. With regard to the Porsche I think the problem is the background is more brightly lit than the car and your eye goes there first, also the pole sticking up is a little distracting. Perhaps you may be able to adjust in PP ? or put it down as one of those things

Thanks taxboy, I understand what you're saying with the Porsche shot, hadn't noticed the pole myself (oops!) I think I'll try the combination of strobe/lightpainting again somewhere with less ambient as I really struggled in this spot.

Wow, you've captured the Z3M brilliantly - this was my al time favourite car and the one that got away, I should have bought one when I could and now its just regrets :(

Thanks for bringing back some great memories :)

Thanks Gsrai, certainly was a lovely example, couple of AC Schnitzer parts. They really are something special, far better looking than both the Z3 and Z4 soft tops.

Thanks Gsrai, certainly was a lovely example, couple of AC Schnitzer parts. They really are something special, far better looking than both the Z3 and Z4 soft tops.

I have one of the last E36 328i's - would be so awesome to have it captured in pics like that Z3M!

On the Cayman R if I was to criticise anything its the front wing (drivers side) is too dark compared to the rest of the car, you kinda expect this leading wing to be the focal line if that makes sense. I also think the background is too light (the greys etc.), that Peridot colour really pops so against a blackish background the car would just stand out amazingly - otherwise its a brilliant pic so do take whatever I say with a huge bucket of sale as I don't even know how to light paint so always admire you guys :)

Not a lot has happened since May, shoots gradually picking up now the nights are getting darker and being more proactive in contacting people.

Busy working away on S14 Kouki and Rx-7 shoots as we speak.

In the meantime here's a capture from a recent trip round the NC500:

NC500 #1 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

For anyone that's not heard of it yet: www.northcoast500.com

Well worth the trip! Should add I borrowed the Boxster from the in-laws and it's not mine :(

As always CC welcome, always interested to hear what I've missed/could do better.

Last edited:
some epic shots dude!! I'm a huge petrol head also and go to most shows throughout the year i appreciate a good Car shot!

keep them coming dude!! :)

will watch this thread :) !!

Cheers mate much appreciated, like I say a few things still to come. Hopefully generate some interest locally and save me having to spend so much time chasing people.

Back