B&W Sky clearing over a wee croft

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Another grey overcast sky today in the North of Scotland, I was going to do a few jobs at my parents and thought I'd take the camera to see if I might be able to squeeze something out at this old ruined croft.
3 hours later it was still flat grey so went inside for a coffee before heading home. It was still looking dull as I left the house and was delighted to see on the other side of the house it was starting to clear.
I don't normally know what suits B&W but looking through the camera I straight away thought B&W.
Critique and comments welcome as always
Sky clearing over the croft by andrew simpson, on Flickr

Wow, who did you want to hate today?
I think… your sky… maybe… a tad…!

What, the sky? euuuuh… found no word
for it… ya know, my english!!!

I think you should go back to your converter,
take a deep breath and start from scratch!

What, the sky? euuuuh… found no word
for it… ya know, my english!!!

I think you should go back to your converter,
take a deep breath and start from scratch!
OK will post the colour shot before this effort with the Nik B&W effects

Apart from the processing aspects, I like the composition and the feel that these mad clouds are somehow escaping from the ruin with no roof! ;)

Apart from the processing aspects, I like the composition and the feel that these mad clouds are somehow escaping from the ruin with no roof! ;)
Sorry Peter but I can't take any credit for that thought in your mind but I see what you are saying :)

I've never seen any thing like that in nature!
Could I see the original, Andrew?

Were you using a polarizer or else?

Colour without Nik Silver Effects
_MG_9416 by andrew simpson, on Flickr

This is a suggestion based on DRL for the whole picture and
the "Color Editor Advanced Selection" tool for the sky in Capture One.

wee%20croftpp.jpg

This other suggestion is based on DRL for the whole picture and
tonal tweaks for the sky in Capture One.

wee%20croftpp%201.jpg

The differences are subtle, granted but the adverse capture was brutal.
Neither approaches come to results that satisfy me and will lead the
shot directly to the imagery department!

Last edited:
Cheers QC, I see what you are saying about the harshness but with your tweaks I might as well have taken the snap when it was still a flat grey featureless sky :)

I think the subtle approach is a better balance Andy as the first one the sky and ground are kind of competing with each other and it's a bit distracting. I quite like the colour one to be honest

I think the subtle approach is a better balance Andy as the first one the sky and ground are kind of competing with each other and it's a bit distracting. I quite like the colour one to be honest
Cheers Stu, Subtle? Not a word I'm accustomed to I'll look it up in Wiki :) B&W remains a mystery to me I guess, and now it turns out a polarizer is wrong too!

Cheers Stu, Subtle? Not a word I'm accustomed to I'll look it up in Wiki :) B&W remains a mystery to me I guess, and now it turns out a polarizer is wrong too!
Haha I know what you mean, I'm by no means an expert with mono but I'm finding through experience the less distracting parts the better. Don't think a polarizer is at fault as you can get nice black results with a polarizer, for me it's more that there's lots of patterns in the sky with also a lot of pattern in the brickwork which confuses the eye a bit. It might have looked a little better with a long exposure to blur the clouds a little and soften them?

As others have mentioned I think the sky is just a tad ott Andrew, and if it was toned down just a smidge, I think it would be ok. I love dramatic skies especially in a B&W conversion and this sky is definitely dramatic.

As others have mentioned I think the sky is just a tad ott Andrew, and if it was toned down just a smidge, I think it would be ok. I love dramatic skies especially in a B&W conversion and this sky is definitely dramatic.
Cheers Steve, I'll have a look at toning it down or start again without the Nik input

Back