Sky-Watcher sk-avant-102 m retroreflecting Telescope worth it ???

I've only had a quick look but I don't think it's driven on either axis, although an RA drive does seem to be an optional extra though not if you buy from Amazon. Also the mount payload is only 3 kg. So is it a decent scope for dSLR astrophotography......... almost certainly not.
Things to look for:
Driven on at least the RA axis
Mount payload enough for scope + finder + camera + a bit more so the drive doesn't have to work too hard
Ideally a 2" focuser, which may or may not have the option to be sleeved down to take a smaller diameter eyepiece. The smaller (old) standard of focusser (could be 1.25") can cause vigneting in prime focus photography, but doesn't always.
I'd buy from a proper telescope retailer rather than Amazon. You can always ring them and ask their advice.
As to attaching a dSLR - you get a tee ring the correct size for the focusser. That screws into an adaptor specific to your camera's lens mount (Canon, Nikon etc). The nose piece of the tee ring slides into the focusser tube. Make sure the grub screw(s) that hold the eyepiece in the focusser tube are man enough to hold the weight of a dSLR. It's easiy enough to prevent the camera crashing to the ground if it comes loose but if the focus shifts due to it just slipping slightly it'll really ruin your night.
I'd also recommend Go-To as the idea of astrophotography is to spend all night imaging, not all night trying to find the object you want to image.
Are you going to get something under £350? Dunno. Astrophotography isn't really something you can do well on the cheap.

Certainly for a reflector scope you're going to be looking at upwards of a grand.

That'll give you a decent OTA (telecope tube) and a pretty good mount.

HEQ5Pro is probably what you'll need in a mount.

Why not give FirstLightOptics a call and discuss with them?

They really know their stuff.

I bought our 8" Dobsonian reflector from them.

Thanks both, I'm going to give them a phone tomorrow.

It's my girlfriend that wants a telescope but we want to use my cameras on it as well.

Cheers,
Dougie.

Back