Critique Skye and NW road trip Saturday into Sunday

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Left work on Saturday and went up to Skye via Glencoe.

Obligotory Torren Lochan reflection image

_DSC2796 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Made it with some committed driving to Eilean Donan to catch the blue hour. Managed to grab a nice reflection and the castle illuminations that are turned off at 12am

_DSC2803 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Made it to Trotternish. Sadly a completely undramatic "Skye" and I didn't quite make the best of the vantage points.

_DSC2902 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Number 1 is the best of the bunch. The seaweed always annoys me at EDC, not that there's anything you can do about it. With 3, you should have kept walking along, to open up the view along the Trotternish ridge and separating Cleat from the rest of the landscape. Still nice early light though, so it wasn't a complete bust, I've had MANY complete busts standing on various parts of the Quairaing!

Reactions: ST4
I also particularly like 1 and 2, a lovely pair of reflections, great light in 2 as well. The sky in 3 for me just lacks that 'pop'.

1 is very much you Steve and I love it
2 is very nice
3 well it has been said by you and others

1 is very much you Steve and I love it
2 is very nice
3 well it has been said by you and others

Cheers. Reflections are really my thing, it is my favourite type of landscape image by an absolute mile. On another forum someone said to me shame about the reflections in two. Reflections are never a shame. Had there not been reflections I think I would have just pulled out the car park at EDC and moved on. Same with 1. No reflections, camera no leaves bag....I love this warm light and still waters. It is just what I like to see and be around. Its so still, so uplifted. It is just me.

Three, well, I ballsed it but the sky wasn't that great. I was tired and just happy to get there after an allnighter straight after work. Will go up and explore the day before so on sunrise I get it better.

Last edited:
I like the first 2 Steve. For me, the reflections take the shots to another level.
Careful with the committed driving though :p

Cheers. Reflections are really my thing, it is my favourite type of landscape image by an absolute mile. On another forum someone said to me shame about the reflections in two. Reflections are never a shame. Had there not been reflections I think I would have just pulled out the car park at EDC and moved on. Same with 1. No reflections, camera no leaves bag....I love this warm light and still waters. It is just what I like to see and be around. Its so still, so uplifted. It is just me.

Three, well, I ballsed it but the sky wasn't that great. I was tired and just happy to get there after an allnighter straight after work. Will go up and explore the day before so on sunrise I get it better.

If you walk further along the Quairaing, you'll normally get a nice reflection in Loch Cleat, obviously not a full reflection of the whole scene, but @nickjohnwatson got some nice reflections when we were up in March.

good shots Steve
did you use a nd filter for the night shot or just a long exposure

Love all three. If you are not a professional photographer I'd love to know what you do for a living to get out this often!

good shots Steve
did you use a nd filter for the night shot or just a long exposure

Actually I tried to shorten the exposure for the night shot so bumped the iso up and opened up the lens a little and cropped wide taking some oof foreground out.

The reasoning was simply to stop any blur in the seaweed. The tide was slowly getting lower and there was slight movement. 4sec exp was long enough to get it ok, at 8sec it was all blurry

Love all three. If you are not a professional photographer I'd love to know what you do for a living to get out this often!

I do sell the odd image and do the occasionally workshop but I don't get back financially nearly what I spend.

But I love it and I have an easy job and work now just 4 days per week and live life to the fullest and for me that means road trips at god awful times of day to great places

Back