Skye and the Highlands

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I spent a few days last week in Skye and managed to take some shots in between the rain, storms and wind! Never the hint of a sunrise or sunset! A lovely place and I'll be back again and hope for better luck with the weather.

Anyway, here are some I like from the trip. I've moved over to Capture One and am trying to familiarise myself, so any thoughts and advise on the processing would be appreciated. I'd recommend a trip to anyone.

Thanks
Steve

1)

The Quiraing

The Quiraing by Steve Babb, on Flickr

2)

Old Man of Storr

The Old Man of Storr by Steve Babb, on Flickr

3)

More Storr..

The Old Man of Storr by Steve Babb, on Flickr

4)

Sligachan

Sligachan Waterfall by Steve Babb, on Flickr

5)

Storm over Skye

Skye Storm by Steve Babb, on Flickr

6)

Elgol rays

Elgol Beach by Steve Babb, on Flickr

7)

Cuillin Stars

Cuillin Hills at night by Steve Babb, on Flickr

8)

Cuillin Hills Star trails by Steve Babb, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
ABSOLUTLY STUNNING how can you criticise they are perfect,''' just wish i was that good'''

Hi all,

Thank you for the very kind comments. I was quite pleased with the results as the weather was shocking in the most. We got lucky one afternoon for a couple of hours and tried to make the most of it. How do you feel they are for sharpness? I want to make sure I've not overdone the clarity / sharpness?

Thanks
Steve

All great photos love them all and makes me really excited as we leave for the highlands in the morning :) (only 12+hrs with a couple of stops!)

All great photos love them all and makes me really excited as we leave for the highlands in the morning :) (only 12+hrs with a couple of stops!)

Thanks, and enjoy the trip. It is a bit of a drive though. 11 hours for me with only a quick stop!

Really lovely set, with the exception of number 5...that one, for the time of day, (even in a storm), is too underexposed.
My favourite has to be number 9 :)

Beautiful, dramatic images. Really like #10 with #9 coming a close second.

Thanks for all the kind comments, I'm glad you have enjoyed them.

Ruth, with regard to your comment below, I'll have another look. It does look rather dark, I tried to underexpose a little to add some drama as it was absolutely pouring and winds over 50mph and it didn't really show that as shot. I'll have a tweak though and see if I can find a halfway house!

Really lovely set, with the exception of number 5...that one, for the time of day, (even in a storm), is too underexposed.
My favourite has to be number 9 :)

The elgol beach ones stand out for me. I've been there a couple of times now but for some inexplicable reason I've never actually gone down onto the beach to get the boulders in the foreground of my shots. Next time its a must do.

There's nothing like some stormy weather to bring out the drama in these beautiful places - if you can keep your camera dry long enough to get the photo. I really like the B&W waterfalls too but I'm not keen on the star trails. Perhaps a crop to lose some of the left hand side and a longer exposure to give more trails.

I can imagine the weather curtailled many of your ideas.

Back