Scotland Skye/ Ardnamurchan

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off on a photo trip to Harris & Lewis in early May. Will be getting the ferry from Uig on Skye and on the way back should arrive early afternoon to Uig and I've booked in overnight at the Uig hotel on the Thu and have the Friday to myself

For those who do Skye and Ardnamurchan regularly, I'm interested in what is sensibly achievable and any tips on what to be looking out for to make a trip worthwhile for landscapes.

Was thinking off heading down to Elgol for sunset on the Thu- is this a trip that's only worth doing if the tide's in, out or halfway between. Neist point (which I've been to but didn't get the shot I wanted) would be my other sunset option on the Thu unless I get a recommendation for something else that takes my fancy perhaps somewhere nearer Uig.

Thinking of Quirang/ Old Man of Storr for sunrise Fri then back to hotel for breakfast and checkout. Is this the right order for them or is it Storr/ Quirang better. I've got the rest of the day to lazily head down south of Oban so...

I could do Eilean Donan but it doesn't really float my boat

W therefore thinking of heading down to Armadale, taking the ferry to Mallaig then glenfinnan, loch shiel, corran ferry and down through oban to ardfern. Lot of driving on the friday and a lot of it likely to be in wrong time of day for landscape- you know the harsh blazing sunchine with bright blue skys day after day after day that we get in Scotland in May. Worst that would happen ferry times allowing is that I might get to scout out some future locations and get somewhere towards subset worth shooting.

DOn't know the area well and dont have a lot of time to scout it out- also not the fittest of blokes so want to keep the humphing gear to within 15-20 mins of car.

Seen some really good stuff from Skye on here and would appreciate thoughts/ advice.

Evening Jim

Im over on Harris from the 7th till the 12th May. Looking forward to it :)

With regards to Skye locations. I would consider Neist point perhaps for the thursday evening once you land back on Skye. Its not to far from Uig so would be quick to get there and not far to get back to your hotel. I would say head to Quirang for sunrise if your not a big walker. Storr is a bit of a trek whereas Quirang is nice and simple. Unless you go up the Storr in the dark, get a few quick shots, then get moving back down, you aint gonna get both for sunrise.

As Richie states, you definitely wont do both for sunrise and then back for breakfast. You probably want to allow a good hour or so to get to one of the high points for the Old Man of Storr before sunrise. Elgol is a cracking place but not sure how the tide works there for best results I was there at hide and was ok except it was meh day :(.

Im over on Harris from the 7th till the 12th May. Looking forward to it :)

I'm in Harris and Lewis from 4-10th. Might see you there. Also really looking forward to it.

Had similar thoughts about 2 hr e/w to Elgol. Might hope for stormy PM on the Friday and catch something on the way down to the ferry

Ardnamurchan - it's a long slow road to the superb beaches at the western tip of the peninsula. The Sunart oakwoods at the very east of Ardnamurchan are pleasant enough. The Ardnamurchan caldera is very interesting and impressive but the good bits are well off the road - and rather hard to photograph.

I'm in Harris and Lewis from 4-10th. Might see you there. Also really looking forward to it.

Had similar thoughts about 2 hr e/w to Elgol. Might hope for stormy PM on the Friday and catch something on the way down to the ferry
@Jim_Tod
Hey Jim,

I'm off to Harris and Lewis next week for 4 days.
Any tips or recommendations? Must see/avoid etc?
Cheers

Must sees.....
Luskentyre
Northton saltings
Scalpay
Callanish Stones
Scarista Beach

Overrall, I found Harris a lot more interesting than Lewis and the west coast a lot more interesting than the east coast
Great, thanks for that.

Back