Skye Panoramas

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
I took the opportunity to make a trip up to Scotland for the Bank Holiday, I'd never been north of Glasgow before, so it was a real treat to witness the amazing landscapes from Loch Lomond and up.
I did three days of wild camping, walking and photography, and have come back with a tonne of images to work through. I processed the panoramic shots first, and have been quite happy with the outcome.
Really looking forward to heading back up in June for 9 days, where I intend to hit Skye again, as I was gutted not to make a shot at Elgol
Any thoughts, comments or feedback would be much appreciated.

1) The Quiraing, with the first bursts of light of the day.

16761977634_86b4034913_b.jpg

2) The Old Man of Storr. I waited for quite a while for the light to hit the pinnacle, but it never happened. Would have made for a better shot I think

17195315288_5d3299777a_b.jpg

Cheers

Are they letter box crops of one file, or stiched. There is no distortion in either which is good leaving me to believe its a wide crop of one file.

Nice lihgting conditions but this sort of conditions leads to blown sections of sky, not a bad thing as that is what its like and the shadows and contrast make up for a good image

The light on the first one is beautiful and contrasts nicely with the dramatic sky.

Are they letter box crops of one file, or stiched. There is no distortion in either which is good leaving me to believe its a wide crop of one file.

Nice lihgting conditions but this sort of conditions leads to blown sections of sky, not a bad thing as that is what its like and the shadows and contrast make up for a good image

Thanks very much. These are both stitched panoramas, Storr is comprised of 7 portrait shots at 70mm on FF, and stitched in Photoshop, Quiraing is a 2 shot stitch of 2 landscape shots at 17mm, with lens correction to eradicate any distortion. Balancing the light was quite tough, but Skye is a challenge for most photographers I guess!
I went for the pano option as I would kinda like one of these printing pretty large to hang, and I think the first may represent quite well in print.
Thanks for your input though - with reference to the blown sky... are you suggesting that there should be blown sections of sky in for realism? I think i managed to capture the shot without clipping any highs.

The light on the first one is beautiful and contrasts nicely with the dramatic sky.

Thank you very much. It was a welcome surprise to see a bit of light, we wild-camped high in order to make for a nice sunrise, but instead, we were greeted with gale force winds and driving rain. Ahhhhh Scotland!!

Last edited:
Back