Slimbridge

nc_killie

POTY (Joint) 2016
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking about going to Slimbridge on New years Day - Does anyone have any advice - Busy or Quiet? Best places??

Thanks in advance

Always something to see and photograph at Slimbridge, even if it gets busy :)

Rushy Hide: See Pintails, Bewicks Swans, Tufted Ducks and possibly some waders quite close ... Wagtails and Goldfinches often visit to drink and Goldcrests can sometimes be seen in the hedge at the side of the hide.
Martin Smith Hide: More Pintails, resident Water Rail, occasional Little Egret, Grey Heron and Buzzard again quite close, occasional Kingfisher.
Robbie Garnet Hide: More Pintails, Bewicks Swans, Shovelers and gulls ... some small birds in the reeds and Cranes farther out across the field.
Willow Hide: Small birds using feeders, inc Sparrows, various finches and occasionally a GSW ... and rats and mice!
Knott Hide: Grazing Wigeon, small birds in the trees and hedges.
Holden Tower: Small birds in the Hawthorne/Blackthorn in front, Cranes often in the field to the right and sometimes a Buzzard or two ... Peregrines quite often and occasionally a Merlin and a Kestrel. Pool to the left with Wigeon, Shovelers and various other species inc occasional Kingfisher.
Discovery Hide: Great Crested Grebe, Cormorants, gulls, Shovelers, Tufted Ducks, various waders.
Van de Bovenkamp Hide: Look straight across to the reedbed to watch out for the two Bitterns ... Wigeon & various duck grazing in front of the hide or in the water.
Kingfisher Hide: Small pool with Little Grebe, Gadwall, Shoveler, occasional Heron and Sparrowhawk ... in the reeds a resident Water Rail and possibly one of the Bitterns and currently a regular Song Thrush searching for food in the grass near the metal gate. In the field more Wigeon, Lapwing, Dunlin and occasional Peregrine. Feeders with selection of small birds, occasional visit from a GSW and regularly passed by Roe Deer.
Zeiss Hide: Most things a bit far off for photography but occasionally a Heron, Reed Buntings and a Water Rail close in front of the hide.
Around the grounds: Goldfinches, Goldcrest, Wrens, Dunnock, Long-tailed Tits etc plus 'captive' species eager to be photographed from Avocets to Flamingos.

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:
Cooked food in their restaurant used to be very good. Not eaten there in the last year, so I am not up to date on this.

Other best local food is the Highfield garden centre on the A38 (3 mins away from the Stroud junction of the motorway). Lovely restaurant, friendly staff and all food is made on site, not bought in. Its not far from Slimbridge. Slimbridge being so close to the river can be very very cold, so take lots of clothes and have lots of fun. :)

Always something to see and photograph at Slimbridge, even if it gets busy :)

Rushy Hide: See Pintails, Bewicks Swans, Tufted Ducks and possibly some waders quite close ... Wagtails and Goldfinches often visit to drink and Goldcrests can sometimes be seen in the hedge at the side of the hide.
Martin Smith Hide: More Pintails, resident Water Rail, occasional Little Egret, Grey Heron and Buzzard again quite close, occasional Kingfisher.
Robbie Garnet Hide: More Pintails, Bewicks Swans, Shovelers and gulls ... some small birds in the reeds and Cranes farther out across the field.
Willow Hide: Small birds using feeders, inc Sparrows, various finches and occasionally a GSW ... and rats and mice!
Knott Hide: Grazing Wigeon, small birds in the trees and hedges.
Holden Tower: Small birds in the Hawthorne/Blackthorn in front, Cranes often in the field to the right and sometimes a Buzzard or two ... Peregrines quite often and occasionally a Merlin and a Kestrel. Pool to the left with Wigeon, Shovelers and various other species inc occasional Kingfisher.
Discovery Hide: Great Crested Grebe, Cormorants, gulls, Shovelers, Tufted Ducks, various waders.
Van de Bovenkamp Hide: Look straight across to the reedbed to watch out for the two Bitterns ... Wigeon & various duck grazing in front of the hide or in the water.
Kingfisher Hide: Small pool with Little Grebe, Gadwall, Shoveler, occasional Heron and Sparrowhawk ... in the reeds a resident Water Rail and possibly one of the Bitterns and currently a regular Song Thrush searching for food in the grass near the metal gate. In the field more Wigeon, Lapwing, Dunlin and occasional Peregrine. Feeders with selection of small birds, occasional visit from a GSW and regularly passed by Roe Deer.
Zeiss Hide: Most things a bit far off for photography but occasionally a Heron, Reed Buntings and a Water Rail close in front of the hide.
Around the grounds: Goldfinches, Goldcrest, Wrens, Dunnock, Long-tailed Tits etc plus 'captive' species eager to be photographed from Avocets to Flamingos.

Hope that helps. :)
THANK YOU! Thanks for taking the time for providing such a detailed response. Very kind and truly appreciated! Now just to catch some birds!

Cooked food in their restaurant used to be very good. Not eaten there in the last year, so I am not up to date on this.

Other best local food is the Highfield garden centre on the A38 (3 mins away from the Stroud junction of the motorway). Lovely restaurant, friendly staff and all food is made on site, not bought in. Its not far from Slimbridge. Slimbridge being so close to the river can be very very cold, so take lots of clothes and have lots of fun. :)

Thank you! I have eaten more in the last few days to last a week......now off for a bacon sandwich!

Cheers!

THANK YOU! Thanks for taking the time for providing such a detailed response. Very kind and truly appreciated! Now just to catch some birds!

You are welcome ... keep an eye on this page for updates on bird sightings at Slimbridge: http://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/slimbridge/wildlife/
The restaurant has just been refurbished and there's plenty of choice inc bacon or sausage butty and other 'breakfast' bits before 11am (my favourite a chocolate danish & americano £3) ... main meals a bit more limited and IMO a bit pricey for what they are. :)

what a great and informative post. Think I will keep it for next time I go. i usually miss at least a couple of hides.

Regen

Just been to Slimbridge today. If the weather stays cold it'll be mainly ducks, geese and swans as there's ice on all the shallow (wader friendly) water, but there are plenty of lapwing and the odd snipe. There are lots of shelduck, pintails and teal - so many they were performing right in front of the South Lake hide. The bacon sandwiches were better than ever but there was no carrot cake :(. Avoid the restaurant at lunchtime. It'll probably be busy on New Years day but the majority of people will be around the collections not in the hides.

Back