Slingsby at Bruntingthorpe

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I am new to this type of photography, but I was pretty happy with this shot (wide and cropped versions).
Any helpful advice, tips or comments welcome (y)

IMG3_1234.JPG IMG2_1234.jpg

Wow, nearly a hundred views and no comments? Please allow me to change that with some inane ramblings......

First shot has quite a pleasing composition and there is a nice amount of prop blur, but its very soft and underexposed. Looks like its been curve hammered as well and the shimmering creates an odd look. Fettled white balance can be used for some great shots in the right environment, the clouds at the top of the frame have some lovely tones to them, but the lavender clouds and cast don't really work for me.

The mustard and black scheme isnt the easiest to get good results with though and the light at the time was probably quite challenging as well, so all in all imho its a good effort.

Both shots are a little on the dark side.
Otherwise a good effort.

Thanks guys. Sorry it has taken a while to respond.
The shot was taken quite late in the afternoon, so as you say, it was challenging. I decided to keep it fairly dark because of the lights on the aircraft. I thought it would add to the ...... (can't think of the word :D).
I can understand why you think I have hammered it on curves, but I usually just use levels, and slide each end up to meet the data, and then tweak the mid tones. Is it because of the darker areas on the fuselage?
If I get time, I will try a lighter/brighter version :)
I think the thing I did hammer was saturation. It looks a bit orangey instead of yellow, or maybe it 'was' a white balance thing. I shoot in RAW and tweak during conversion. .
The thing that has surprised me most, is that you think it looks soft?
Anyway, I will see what I can do :). Thanks for the input. Appreciated (y)

Soft - look at the cowling and light surrounds, and the door handle and the fin. If you are editing from a raw file you'll get much better results tweaking the curves to give a gentle "s", but dont be tempted to lift the shadows too much as it'll lose definition, and keep a bit of contrast. The glint on the side of the nose will be a nice shape defining feature, rather then giving a shimmering effect by being saturated, same as the highlights on the turtledeck.

Back