Small beetle

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a small garden and although I am trying to make it more interesting (winter flowers etc). I don't get many new insects. Here is a small beetle that I saw for the first time the other day.
Tachyporus 3.36 Magnification size 3.4mm
Tachyporus by davholla2002, on Flickr.
Sadly a bit of reflection on it, I need to get some polystyrene in front of my speedlite to try to deal with this.

Nice shot and find, but as you say you need some diffusion on your flash, easily made.
As for your Garden, try to make it for Bees/butterflies and the like for the summer, they will like you for it and if you can make/buy a Bee Hotel, they are very interesting.

Nice shot and find, but as you say you need some diffusion on your flash, easily made.
As for your Garden, try to make it for Bees/butterflies and the like for the summer, they will like you for it and if you can make/buy a Bee Hotel, they are very interesting.
Well when I was using a ring flash, it was not that easy but hopefully with a speedlite it will be. I have got a bee hotel but only had for a little while.

Well when I was using a ring flash, it was not that easy but hopefully with a speedlite it will be. I have got a bee hotel but only had for a little while.
There is a sticky on the top of the Macro thread, it shows what people (and me) have done/made, if you have not seen, do take a look.
Oh and congrats on the Bee Hotel, I live in a flat so no chance lol

There is a sticky on the top of the Macro thread, it shows what people (and me) have done/made, if you have not seen, do take a look.
Oh and congrats on the Bee Hotel, I live in a flat so no chance lol
Did you have a balcony? I did when I lived in a flat and I should have done so.

Did you have a balcony? I did when I lived in a flat and I should have done so.
Actually, yes but it's a closed terrace, inner and outer glass so it's not practical enough to have one [emoji36]

BTW do people think this is lacking contrast? I am not sure.

Well done capturing that David.

Yes, it does look a little lacking in contrast to me, a bit "misty". However, when I worked on it I found my usual approach didn't work - I ran into noise issues. Was it a big crop?

I'm not sure how reflective that beetle was, but you may find that even with good diffusion you get reflections of the flash with shiny subjects like that.

Back