Small black dots on matt paper? Fotospeed/Marrutt

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I am new to printing my own stuff and have been experimenting with paper.

I first tried Marrutt matt https://www.marrutt.com/inkjet-pape...rrutt-230gsm-archival-matt-single-sided-paper the print quality/colours are great but then noticed little black dots/marks on nearly every sheet of the paper (see below for pictures). I messaged them and they said there can be inconsistencies, I thought I better try another brand then as I can't be inspecting every piece of paper and sending them back all the time.

I did some research and found Fotospeed Matt ultra. I messaged Fotospeed to ask if they have any consistant issues / black dots/marks and they said no. So I went ahead and ordered https://www.fotospeed.com/Matt-Ultra-240-Photo-Quality-Paper/groupproduct/1188/

After reviewing this paper, it has the same marks!

Is this the same with all paper and I have never noticed it before? Maybe I am being too picky and most people won't notice it... If not, would appreciate any matt paper recommendations great than 200gsm.

See below the dots/marks.

20191216_131617.jpg
20191216_131552.jpg

What size paper is this?

I've never noticed it on matt papers I've used. Occasionally my printer marks the paper, but I check each piece before it goes in so I know it goes in clean.

My recommendations after testing, to get as neutral tones as possible would be Permajet Photo Art Silk (290gsm) or my current favourite St Cuthberts Satin Bright White (300gsm). The majority of my matt printing is black & white (can't remember when I last did a colour print for me) though.

Edit to add that I ran through some Marrutt archival matt quite exhaustively because I think that's a very decent paper - especially for the price. I never noticed the markings. I'm guessing you're sure this is pre-printing.

Last edited:
What size paper is this?

I've never noticed it on matt papers I've used. Occasionally my printer marks the paper, but I check each piece before it goes in so I know it goes in clean.

My recommendations after testing, to get as neutral tones as possible would be Permajet Photo Art Silk (290gsm) or my current favourite St Cuthberts Satin Bright White (300gsm). The majority of my matt printing is black & white (can't remember when I last did a colour print for me) though.

Edit to add that I ran through some Marrutt archival matt quite exhaustively because I think that's a very decent paper - especially for the price. I never noticed the markings. I'm guessing you're sure this is pre-printing.

I have both A4 and A3, both have the same marks. I first noticed it after printing and thought it was the printer.

After looking at the printer and not resolving the issue I looked at the rest of the unprinted paper which is when I discovered the issue.

I do find it odd you can't find any marks, they are very small. I even ordered a sample pack of different papers from Marrutt and they also had these marks visible.

I might try ordering some more premium paper such as Hahnemühle and see how this compares.

I do find it odd you can't find any marks, they are very small.

Well I am a pedant, but I also have pretty bad eyesight. However dark on white usually stands out. Can you see them with the naked eye under normal daylight conditions without close (<12") scrutiny?

Well I am a pedant, but I also have pretty bad eyesight. However dark on white usually stands out. Can you see them with the naked eye under normal daylight conditions without close (<12") scrutiny?

Yes, it isn't an issue if a dark ink goes over it but that isn't always possible.

I have been viewing them under a bright artificial light/by the window natural daylight. In these conditions, it is possible around 12" once your eye catches them and focuses on them. In "medium" light conditions >12" I don't think so.

Likely 99.9% of people wouldn't bat an eyelid, but it's in the back of my mind constantly :cautious:

Is this on unused sheets? Not all papers are created equal.

If you don't want to mess about I would recommend getting Canson papers. Their Rag photo is arguably better than Hahnemuhle and QC is very reliable.

Back