Critique Smallest yet!

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I was able to meet up with Andy Murray (no not that one) this afternoon as he was around my neck of the woods. For those that don't know, Andy is a fellow collembola enthusiast, but I think the term collembola fanatic is more appropriate for him. He scours the world looking for new species and has managed to build up a very large collection of a wide variety of springtails. You should definitely check out his flickr stream if you haven't already...

He had promised to find me some neelidae to add to my list, and he didn't fail to deliver. This is Megalothorax minimus, a juvenile specimen and around 0.3mm long:

Megalothorax minimus by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

I shot it at around 7 or 8 x magnification (I can't remember what my current full kit gives me), but it's obvious I need to buy some more extension tubes as I still had to crop heavily to get this close.

This image (not mine) gives a better idea of the size of this creature:

img1.jpg

Here are some alternate frames, chosen mainly because they were in focus but again, heavy crops:

and this is an uncropped frame (the width of which represents just under 3mm)

Overall I was very pleased with these, but I'd like to be able to resolve more detail and get a closer look!

Edit: just noticed I failed to clean up the dust spots on that last image. Oh well, screw it, it's late now and bed time for me!

Last edited:
I thought the dust spots were the Megalothorax minimus :D:p joke aside now..
Now thats really small , I thought globies were small to photograph but this is ridiculusley small and well done for getting what you did.
PS, this guy has some crazy looking critters on his page :wacky:

My my my.... 0.3mm I don't know;

1. how you even saw it (even through lens)
2. shot it so well

Contrast has been lost a little so a different lighting solution may be required for these very very tiny critters.

Now going to have to look for more translucent objects occasionally I shoot random translucent stuff or stuff that may be something in the hope it is beasty (never is though so far) normally just poop or a small crystal/rock.

So Andy is back in UK at the moment.

I thought the dust spots were the Megalothorax minimus :D:p

Have a look through your shots you may have some yourself :p (if not just claim the dust spots are something) ;)

Some "Excellent" work Tim, of something that must be extreemly dificult to see yet alone photograph.(y)

George.

The company you keep Tim.

A veritable who's who of macro wizards. Very jealous.

Fantastic shots, would love to see some of these. First shot is awesome in particular.

Back