Smoke Photography

Really like this, I do prefer the once where you can see the cigarette in them, correct me if that isn't a cigarette.
But yeah, very well done. Sorry I can't give any more feedback, I am learning here too. :)

Really like this, I do prefer the once where you can see the cigarette in them, correct me if that isn't a cigarette.
But yeah, very well done. Sorry I can't give any more feedback, I am learning here too. :)

I used incense sticks

I really like number 2. They all seem very good - I had a go at this a few years ago, also with incense, but didn't manage anything as good as your shots. Excellent first effort!

I really like number 2. They all seem very good - I had a go at this a few years ago, also with incense, but didn't manage anything as good as your shots. Excellent first effort!

I really like the second one, how'd you get the light to catch each area so smoothly?

I think its because I positioned the flash under the smoke! And ofcourse some editing I guess :)

I always prefer to see the source of the smoke either cropped or cloned out.

Notwithstanding that these seem to be a good first go. It may also be worth trying to invert the colours in Photoshop (or your preffered editing software) as well and see how they look, i.e dark smoke on a white background.

I really like it. All of them are cool but being super picky in picture one the ash has become long and curly at the top. I usually just give them a tap so that the old ash falls off.

I always prefer to see the source of the smoke either cropped or cloned out.

Notwithstanding that these seem to be a good first go. It may also be worth trying to invert the colours in Photoshop (or your preffered editing software) as well and see how they look, i.e dark smoke on a white background.

Thats actually a good idea, I have to try it out.

I really like it. All of them are cool but being super picky in picture one the ash has become long and curly at the top. I usually just give them a tap so that the old ash falls off.

I didnt notice it till now, thanks

I really like that last one.
How on earth did you manage to write sham - photography in smoke like that :D

This is my first visit to this particular forum,I'm mainstream and not into the creative photography that's presented here but I have to say I'm really impressed with these, they're superb and very skilled too.

I like no 1, the twists and simplicity of the shot, also great lighting on the ins stick. Good effort for a first go, I'd say you have it! How did you setup etc? Flash under smoke, f stop, shutter? Always like to be nosey on settings :D

Last edited:
Like the inverted colours alot.

This is my first visit to this particular forum,I'm mainstream and not into the creative photography that's presented here but I have to say I'm really impressed with these, they're superb and very skilled too.

I like no 1, the twists and simplicity of the shot, also great lighting on the ins stick. Good effort for a first go, I'd say you have it! How did you setup etc? Flash under smoke, f stop, shutter? Always like to be nosey on settings :D
Thanks guys... :)
For the camera settings you can check them in Flickr (sorry but it would take a bit of time to write them for each picture)
But for the setup, unfortunately i have no picture of it and as its for a long time ago i cant remember :banghead:

I love this set especially the first one - must try to have a go at this one day :)

With the originals the fourth is my favourite. I like the way it looks like it fills the image whilst still leaving space, if you get what I mean. There's a nice balance between the amount of smoke and black background, with the trail of smoke leading you up and across the frame. The second image to me looked way to busy, too much smoke and not enough background. However the version where you've inverted the colours seems to have a completely different feel. It's gone from being my least favourite to my most favourite.

Love them, I've got to give this a go when the weathers bad.

Brilliant idea, guess what I'm trying next time the weathers too bad to shoot:banana:. Great images, no.4 my favourite, not sure why. Would love to see more.

Yeah a cool set of images - I've never tried this myself. Four and five work best for me and I prefer the originals to the inverted versions.

Back