Smoo Cave, Durness

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
Yes
On Holiday in Durness i went a long to Smoo Cave, Smoo Cave is quite large - 200 feet long, 130 feet wide, and 50 feet high at the entrance.I shot this pic hand held View attachment 44617 with my Fuji X100T.Just wish i had a tripod with me

Great place, couldn't stop saying 'Smoo' afterwards :)

That's pretty damn good for handheld in a cave!
Smoo...what a great name :)

Well done on getting this one Allan. I've been there and it isn't the easiest place to get a shot like this!

Nice one! BTW I have been up and down the North-West coast often, Durness included, and of course wandered among the wonderful expanses of sand and dune while enjoying the superb sea-scapes, but was blissfully unaware of the existence of this cave until now:jawdrop:

Nice one! BTW I have been up and down the North-West coast often, Durness included, and of course wandered among the wonderful expanses of sand and dune while enjoying the superb sea-scapes, but was blissfully unaware of the existence of this cave until now:jawdrop:
The Sango sands Oasis camp site is pretty good. The site is just above a beautiful beach and a few hundred yards from Smoo cave.

The Sango sands Oasis camp site is pretty good. The site is just above a beautiful beach and a few hundred yards from Smoo cave.
It is the Balnakeil peninsula, a little bit off to the West, that I tend to gravitate towards. My camping days are over:coffee: That campsite recommendation will be appreciated by others, but the Cruachan Lodge B&B, just north of Stoer, fits the bill for me (y)
PS The walk out to the Stoer lighthouse is amazing, and full of great land- and sea-scapes:)

Last edited:
Busy as usual...

:)

It's an amazing cave. The last time I was in Smoo cave the Quarrymen were playing a concert. I could have done with a tripod or monopod too.

I recently bought one of 7dayshop walking sticks with a camera thread on it to use as a steady in places where tripods and monopods aren't welcome or too much trouble to carry. It turned out to be very useful and well worth a fiver but only really suitable for smaller cameras with standard lenses.

Was over there a couple of years ago, feels like a bit of an adventure just getting into the place and the guide is funny and informative. Tough location to get a good shot so well done

Back