Snow drops, processing advice?

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
it might be a bit cliched but I was out shooting snowdrops this morning and I am struggling to find processing that I like, Too bright and it blows out the flower but the alternative seems to be a bit flat.

DSC05074.jpg

Genuine question (still new here) - how much processing are you comfortable with ? Do you prefer to stick with changes that could have been made in camera (global brightness, bit of contrast, white balance, etc), or are local edit layers with different adjustments and layer masks acceptable to you ?

I agree that just using global changes it's going to be hard to make this pop as the lighting is diffuse and even, and you're going to end up with the choice between blown & flat you mention.

With more rework it'd be possible to create a bit more dynamism in the lighting, but it'd not be the image that you shot - I'm happy to give it a go if you wanted an alternative take.

I tend not to do a lot of processing, mainly just whatever can be done in Lightroom but do occasionally use PS and as long as the processing is subtle I don't really have any concerns about the amount an image is processed. To some extent I did deliberately leave the above a little flat and I can get a bit more punch in LR but if you haven't got anything better to do you are welcome to have a crack at it.

Right then - hopefully this isn't too much !

Slight warming of the overall WB, then a midtones and shadow brightness reduction and desaturation (to counteract the darker tone making the colours more vivid).

Painted top left corner to darken and desaturate to try and keep the snowdrops as the centre of attention, and a second milder darkening along the bottom and up the righthand side.

DSC05074-edit.jpg

Taking the colour out of the top left really helps to bring the attention back on the snow drops

Thanks, I'm still thinking it's a bit dull but at least there is detail in the petals whilst the background is less distracting. I might have another play tomorrow

Back