Snowboarding and skiing in Laax

The wide angle stuff definitely works best. Showing the context and magnitude of the riders definitely accentuates the shot imo.

Question: wide angle positioned close or say 200 mm from further away. Compared where the size of the subject on each would be the same just the angle / perspective distortion would be the differentiation?

Question: wide angle positioned close or say 200 mm from further away. Compared where the size of the subject on each would be the same just the angle / perspective distortion would be the differentiation?

Keeping the subject the same size, the 200mm shot will have much less of the scene in the shot due to its narrower field of view. There are some example pictures to illustrate here http://learnmyshot.com/telephoto-lens-perspective-compression-and-the-angle-of-view/

… just can't resist the well placed
shadow in the second take! (y)

That was so lucky :)

I guessed so…
but to be so lucky, one has to be at the right place,
at the right time, doing the right thing! :cool:

Did you use flash?

Yes the last two are with flash. I didn't use HSS as it was very bright and didn't want to loose power. This meant I was limited to 1/200th syncs speed as above which was a bit slow to freeze the action.

with HSS you shouldn't lose power, it just won't recycle ready for the next flash quickly enough... you want to be hitting around 1/1000 really to get rid of any blur on the riders...

In all honesty, looking at your pictures, it looks bright enough to just be using the flash for fill on the riders faces... with the half pipe stuff I've found with skateboarding that for the frontside stuff you want to be shooting higher up (above waist) to get the riders faces in and for backside stuff shoot down low close to the lip looking up... you end up with loads of pictures of peoples arses otherwise! Oh, and with a wide angle get closer!!

You also want to be catching them when they're at the apex of the air, you'll find their tweaking each trick more just before they start coming down.... the more exaggerated their movements the better the shots!

Great shots!

Last edited:
Back