Snowdon from Llynnau Mymbyr

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Back in the UK on holiday in North Wales, I made 2 trips to this spot, the first morning was a write off with low cloud but a useful scouting trip. The next morning worked out nicely. I stayed in pretty much the same spot and shot a variety of wide and closeup compositions, it was nice to just take in the view rather than running around shooting lots of different angles, although it would have been very easy to do so on such a lovely morning.

I think these are my favourites from the morning.

Many thanks to Simon Kitchin for his excellent book on photographing North Wales!

Constructive C&C welcome.

Purple Snowdon by Alan, on Flickr

Snowdon Mirror by Alan, on Flickr

In the Air by Alan, on Flickr

Mymbyr Mist by Alan, on Flickr

You got some nice conditions - (nearly) still and some mist. It’s always looked like the North Sea whenever I’ve been there. :) Hard to choose a favourite as I like them all but the colour of the first is very appealing.

The middle two images are utterly sublime but the nod goes to two as it is the most ripple free - I'd have gone a bit higher to seprate the foreground and the reflecton, actually I'd have avoided the rocks altogether like the last :D
Thanks Steve, I admit we have different styles, I like a bit of something in the foreground, but that's what makes this photography thing so interesting I sort of settled on a view and didn't mess around too much, it was such a spectacular morning I wanted to enjoy it as much as take images.

You got some nice conditions - (nearly) still and some mist. It’s always looked like the North Sea whenever I’ve been there. :) Hard to choose a favourite as I like them all but the colour of the first is very appealing.
Cheers Jason, the day before was definitely the North Sea! But a worthwhile scouting trip. I admit I like the first, the pre dawn hues are a draw for me, even if the reflections isn't perfect at that time.

A pretty nice selection at a challenging location for sure.

I like the ones with the light ON, so that's the first one out personally. Processing is best on 4 and I do like that image. Just as Steve said the ripple is just a tad too visible. I would be almost tempted to try and cheat a little with the bottom part of the reflection in PS. Just try all the blending modes and maybe that will just click. If not - not a big deal.

2 and 3 are great shots. Maybe 3 just edges it out for me, but then I keep coming back to 2. I am sure the decision should be based on a large print, not a web sized preview. However I would certainly want both more contrast (+10-20%) and more brightness in both images (0.5 to 1 stop). You may even throw in 5-10% more saturation, because why not. Even if you blow a tiny highlight somewhere (local adjustments are there for it) the majority of the shot gets the priority treatment.

Awesome the sort of shots I’d like to achieve

Checking weather forecasts and getting up stupidly early is the way to do it (y) You need like 0-1m/s wind, no more.

Back