Snowpocalypse 2017

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
[url=https://flic.kr/p/RFpecR]
Snowpocalypse2017 by Paul, on Flickr[/URL]

We don't normally get a lot of snow in southwestern British Columbia. This past week has been an absolute departure from that. Over that last few days we've probably gotten a good 40cm or more. Being in a moderate climate, of course, not many people put snow tires on their cars for the winter. On Friday I had to go out to an event (that I found out was cancelled once I got there) and the carnage on the roads was priceless! I live in a fairly hilly section of the city and all the bozos stuck on hills in their cars with all season tires was a wonder to behold. It took my sister in law an hour and half to do a usually 20 minute commute. (She has snow tires.) It's so nice to be retired and not "have" to go out.

We have relatives in Fredericton NB & also friends In Ottawa, who only yesterday sent an email about all the snow they'd had.

...... just wanted to show you what I was doing on Saturday .
It snowed every day last week so firing up the snowblower was a necessity! Thankfully the previous week was very mild and the snow bank melted by about 2 feet . Getting harder to see out of the kitchen window though lol !

I asked him a few years ago what 4X4 he drives & was surprised when he said he just had a normal 2 wheel drive saloon. He'd only missed getting in to work a handful of times in the 20 odd years he's lived there.

Last edited:
New Brunswick and Ontario definitely get more snow that we do in southwest BC. If we got their amounts of snow or, if this was a common occurrence, I would have a snow blower in the garage. As it is, I've been relying on relatives and neighbours to do our shovelling as, due to medical reasons, I can't do it. Everyone has been most helpful.

I suppose as long as it's expected & is planned for, there won't be too much disruption. It's when it's un expected, or worse than expected, that it can cause major disruption.

Crikey, here in the UK if we get 2" of snow (inches that is, not feet) the bloody country grinds to a near halt! :rolleyes:

Glad you're getting some help Paul. (y)

Well, we got more snow overnight but it was a reasonable amount. (Friday we got 20cm, the old record was just over 7.) However, it was enough combined with the sad state of road clearing to have schools closed a second day. The closures extend throughout the Fraser Valley from Surrey to Hope - a huge area - as well as some school districts on Vancouver Island. Surrey hasn't closed all schools for snow in more than 20 years. We have more snow in the forecast but by the weekend it's supposed to get mild and turn to rain. We should be ok with that as we live near the top of a hill but the rapid switch from freezing to rain is going to put a lot of people under threat of flooding. Oh boy, the fun continues.

Thank you! I'm thinking that there's a goodly amount of weight up there. Fortunately, houses/roofs are built with a certain amount of structural weight in mind. Also, it's perhaps a bit hard to tell but the roof sections you're seeing are fairly steeply pitched. I'm just hoping that once the thaw/rain begins that the gutters will be able to stay attached. :eek:

Well, the snowpocalypse has turned into an icepocalypse. Lots of freezing rain overnight. Environment Canada and local police urging everyone to stay off the roads today as just to dangerous to drive. I'll walk about the neighbourhood and hope to show a few photos later on today.

A few more...

Ice Storm 2017 by Paul, on Flickr

The yellow blob in the middle of this one is a playground sign on the next street.

I uploaded this one to Flickr in full resolution. Looking at it in a small size just doesn't do the scene justice.

Not going anywhere any time soon.

Back