So I went on Safari ...

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
At the back end of August and into the start of September I went on safari to Kenya's Maasai Mara. It was a recce for some guiding I'll be doing there next year but the aim this year was to get as many photos as possible and basically learn about the place. I took around 5000 shots in the time we were there as I wasn't quite prepared for the amount we'd see haha.

Anyways, here's a few from the trip :) Let me know what you think!

Nick

1 - Kisaru and her cubs. We saw this family of Cheetahs most days as they were in the closest conservancy to where we were staying, so on our way out or back we'd detour to go see them. She had 6 cubs and we're still seeing photos of her online now and all 6 cubs are still with her which is amazing :)

2 - Young Bull. This young bull Elephant was wandering about the plains by himself, not a care in the world. The guides reckon he's potential to become a Tusker later in life as the Tusks are well developed and large in comparison to his size.

3 - Barrikoi. Dominant male of the Lemek pride.

4 - Lioness from the Lemek pride. You can't really prepare for the feeling and adrenaline of seeing a wild lion wandering towards you for the first time!

5 - Enonkishu Giraffes. After we'd spent some time with conservationists from the Mara predator project we headed out on a game drive and came across a large group of Giraffes chilling out in the early morning sun.

6 - Female Leopard. After spending the week without seeing a Leopard we'd resigned ourselves to not seeing one, but on our last morning we struck lucky. Our guides heard a Jackal barking and tracked the sound for about a mile through undergrowth and trees and eventually when we found it she was sitting barking at this amazing Leopard just sat in a tree. The jackal buggered off when we arrived in the 4x4 and after a few minutes the Leopard came down from the tree and had a wander about. She even stopped to pose for us which was nice of her :D

Top notch shots, but that first one is a competition winner... Very well done [emoji106]

1st class shots..

Well done! The cheetah cubs are very young, and stay with their mother for around 18 months, so I'm assuming you were quite surprised that none of them had been taken by predators? The mortality rate is high.

Brilliant shots and a good advert for your next trip! Reminds me of my own safari in that area (though we didn't see any leopards except at long distance). I'll never forget my own experience of being in close proximity to lions (10 ft) on foot! Thanfully they had just feasted on a zebra

Beautiful beautiful set, but the first, imo, is the shot of a lifetime.

A great set. The first one is outstanding as is the lioness. Kisaru looks a proud mom.You mentioned Kisaru‘s cubs still online so I’ve had a look. Lots of photos. There were other related YouTube videos as per usual and one was about lions killing one of three cheetah cubs and how the mom searched for and ,after 24 hours, found the other two. I didn’t realise that lions attacked cheetah cubs. Seems, as purely carnivorous animals, they kill just about any other animal.

I see there are only 7100-7500 left. I saw these there two numbers ..different sources ..it’s soul-destroying that they are considered to be in danger of extinction..no guesses as to what/who is responsible.

A great set. The first one is outstanding as is the lioness. Kisaru looks a proud mom.You mentioned Kisaru‘s cubs still online so I’ve had a look. Lots of photos. There were other related YouTube videos as per usual and one was about lions killing one of three cheetah cubs and how the mom searched for and ,after 24 hours, found the other two. I didn’t realise that lions attacked cheetah cubs. Seems, as purely carnivorous animals, they kill just about any other animal.

I see there are only 7100-7500 left. I saw these there two numbers ..different sources ..it’s soul-destroying that they are considered to be in danger of extinction..no guesses as to what/who is responsible.

Lion, leopard, hyena and some eagles are all known to prey on cheetahs and their cubs. I suppose you can put crocs into that category too, they'll take just about anything within reach!

Fantastic images. I just have to say what everyone is saying in this thread. Top notch.

I actually have a question for picture number 1: the cheetas look very clear, but the background is very blurry. Is this natural or did you do something post-photography work to make this happen? The more I look at the picture, the more "unnatural" the background becomes (yet, its a beautiful and powerful shot!).

QUOTE: I actually have a question for picture number 1: the cheetas look very clear, but the background is very blurry. Is this natural or did you do something post-photography work to make this happen? The more I look at the picture, the more "unnatural" the background becomes (yet, its a beautiful and powerful shot!).

It looks exactly how I'd expect with a 400mm lens at f8 and a background which is some distance away from the subject

Top picture

Last edited:
Great set of images, I love African wild animals.
See my photo:

Botswana_Single-Safari-June-17-1-1200x800.jpg

source: https://wildencountersafaris.com/destinations/botswana/

Last edited:
Back