so... once printed how do you actually hang stuff on a wall?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I just picked up an A4 printer (a Canon Pixma ip7250 not even out of its box yet) and it occurred to me, once I have my 100 wonderful borderless prints (yeah I know optimism!) what then...

How do I magically get these things to hang in my stairway?

As its a bit of a budget exercise for now, what options do you guys use for basic round the house stuff? Mount boards and frame, a4 clips?

Anyway suggestions welcome :)

Cheap, mass-produced frames and mounts. Actually, I exhibit the same way on the basis that the buyer will want to frame according to their decor/tastes.

Any specific suggestions? - I guess you'd use a fair few.

I'm half planning to fill a wall (spaced out a bit) so will be looking for quite a lot.

I have a negative suggestion and that is not to buy the very cheap frames from Wilko. Dusting was sufficient to dislodge the glass. Other than that, it depends on what is available in Mansfield. I use a local shop in Lincoln who is happy to give me a discount if i buy 20-odd frames at one go.

Frames from Wilko and The Range are cheap and easy to get hold of, but I find the Ikea frames are much better made. I prefer the Virserum (link), but the Ribba (link) are also very good.

I don't print as prefer ordering from DSCL, but I do mount and hang on the wall.

I buy big sheets of black foam-board, spray mount the image then cut the board down to leave a black border.

Thanks all

A few options to play with - ranging from my local scrooges :) to Ikea.

Thanks again, looks like these might be the part of least resistance.

Edit: @Wissel You've never seen me with steel rule and knife, I could host a fly on the wall documentary on rage ;)

Last edited:
I don't print as prefer ordering from DSCL, but I do mount and hang on the wall.

I buy big sheets of black foam-board, spray mount the image then cut the board down to leave a black border.

Actually quite curious on this, what thickness do you use and once cut with a border to suit how do you actually hang it?

I like to chop and change and re-mounting/framing is a pain.

I've got a couple of 2x1 batons screwed horizontally to the wall, with a length of string running end to end. I then peg my prints up for a while to see if they either look good enough to frame, or grow on me sufficiently. It doesn't look pretty, and the prints cause the string to sag, but it's really easy to replace 'em and it's a very very cheap solution. If I was permanizing it, I'd varnish the batons and replace string with picture wire and maybe paint the pegs, but having seen these picture rails at Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...s/mosslanda-picture-ledge-black-art-70292104/), I think I'll replace the batons with those and just stand my prints on them with maybe a foamboard backing.

Curious too...

I like to chop and change and re-mounting/framing is a pain.

I've got a couple of 2x1 batons screwed horizontally to the wall, with a length of string running end to end. I then peg my prints up for a while to see if they either look good enough to frame, or grow on me sufficiently. It doesn't look pretty, and the prints cause the string to sag, but it's really easy to replace 'em and it's a very very cheap solution. If I was permanizing it, I'd varnish the batons and replace string with picture wire and maybe paint the pegs, but having seen these picture rails at Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...s/mosslanda-picture-ledge-black-art-70292104/), I think I'll replace the batons with those and just stand my prints on them with maybe a foamboard backing.
Those do look pretty nice and doubled with the foamboard, but my wifes not keen and thinking about it I'm thinking of a more higgldy piggldy look.

The more I think about it the more David's idea appeals, or maybe a mounting frames if I can find a good (read cheap but not poor quality) source - once the matter of how they stay on the wall is figured out.

Actually quite curious on this, what thickness do you use and once cut with a border to suit how do you actually hang it?

I use this board:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cn/West-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8SPBB3NT24XX2K7WJJ0T

once spray mounted a place a metal ruler against the side of the image to get and even boarder, cut with this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foamwerks-...=1492972392&sr=8-1&keywords=foam+board+cutter

Then hang on the wall using these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HWZP5RO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're really light, so I use a tiny pin into the wall. Can post an image of a wall with these hanging if wanted.

You are a god to me - I do like a good link :)

Presumably the 3M mount spray is the one to go with too? (link)

I was just looking up 3M Command Strips (link) thinking they might work, but a pack of 50 hangers is even better.

If you don't mind putting up a pic that would be great too - I'd have a much better idea although I think I can picture it pretty well, but it would really round it off if thats cool.

You are a god to me - I do like a good link :)

Presumably the 3M mount spray is the one to go with too? (link)

I was just looking up 3M Command Strips (link) thinking they might work, but a pack of 50 hangers is even better.

If you don't mind putting up a pic that would be great too - I'd have a much better idea although I think I can picture it pretty well, but it would really round it off if thats cool.

Yep, I use the 3m stuff (on newspaper upside-down, outdoors lol)

Here's a quick mobile phone image from a wall in my living room. I need to straighten them :)

wall by David Black, on Flickr

That looks spot on - thank you

Advice, a shopping list and an example - your work here is done :D

Here's a quick mobile phone image from a wall in my living room. I need to straighten them :)

Looks really nice. Do you have a secret to cutting them straight? (I'm thinking straight edge damages print, black = difficult to mark etc) I'd like to try this but my wife (correctly) says I have no in-built spirit level. She does all the straightening in our house.

Looks really nice. Do you have a secret to cutting them straight? (I'm thinking straight edge damages print, black = difficult to mark etc) I'd like to try this but my wife (correctly) says I have no in-built spirit level. She does all the straightening in our house.

Yep. once the image is mounted I place the ruler against each side of it, then use the width of the ruler as the border width.

The knife I linked to keeps the actual cut nice and square, but the blades don't last long.

:plus1:

I used to do that and since I have gone digital for a couple of years it is not worth bothering any more :dummy: ... first you mount with spray glue, then cut but I was cutting wider. A quality stainless steel ruler (engineers measuring ruler) and olfa knife and a good surface to cut against.

Once you've mounted and/or framed them, have you given any thought as to how you're going to hang them?

I think the STAS rail hanging systems are great.

Why spraymount when you can get self adhesive mount boards very reasonably?

These can be any size and can be got from a local framer precut.

I hang mine in my study, as the wife isn't hugely keen on having Monochrome industrial landscapes and urbex scenes around the house.

I have a variety of frame sizes and they're in a 'salon style' hang (google it!). As they're all black and whites, I go for the classic white mount and black frame - mounts I either cut myself or buy from Cotswold Mounts, and frames are from Hobbycraft. I've got a separate stash of frames for my exhibitions, although I'll be using some of the ones from my study for my next exhibition as it's quite a big venue and I won't have enough.

I'll post a picture later in the week, I'm away currently.

I llike that look, sort of the idea I was going for, with the offset higgldy piggldy arrangement, guess its got a real name :D

Salon Style is a new term to me but as a NT and occasional gallery visitor I have seen such arrangements without realising it.

Though a quick speed read via Google informs me that such a hanging is not entirely random, it still has emphasis and pattern.

Just a thought - an entirely valid one, but maybe not for stairwells. A very shallow shelf (say 45mm) can support pictures and allow them to be easily swopped about, though obviously all their bases will be aligned to the shelf-line. A customer of mine came up with this and I've since used it for myself. A 'gutter' mould along the top surface of the shelf should stop the pictures slipping off since they can rest in it.

I've used clip frames (real glass) with matted prints - the clips have just enough give in them to accomodate that. And they're cheap. But with no frame, the edges aren't dust-proof.

Nice, should look good.

Well after all this (and still with every intention of using foamboard) I found myself in Ikea and saw some nice black bordered frames for £1.50 - amazingly 20 fell into my little bag... seemed rude not to ;)

Another thought (especially for foam mounted pictures) ... foam sticky pads. Sellotape brand them (I think still) as Sicky Fixers. Not sure what damage it will do to the pain though when I remove them.

Are the frames about A4 sized? I've got some of those. So far the Sticky Fixers are working well to hold them.

Yeah A4 so spot on for the new toy

If you look round the charity shops you can buy pictures in real good quality frames for a couple of quid :), and there is always a chance of picking up a masterpiece worth thousands :ROFLMAO:

Work in progress in my study. I've got a bit distracted of late with doing some prep for an exhibition and stuff, so still have some more frames to hang to fill in some of the gaps. I've also got some paintings / prints in there as well.

View media item 12730View media item 12729

Thats very nice - really clean

Just one comment on the IKEA frames, the frames themselves are a nice matt black, bust the glass is a thin plastic that's a little cloudy, good for the price but it does dull the image... I might see what they're like without.

Just one comment on the IKEA frames, the frames themselves are a nice matt black, bust the glass is a thin plastic that's a little cloudy, good for the price but it does dull the image... I might see what they're like without.
Just in case you've missed it... there is a thin "anti scratch" film on both sides of the Perspex glass. If you look carefully one corner on each side is folded to make removal easier.

Lol, really... I did miss it, I'll take a look :)

Edit: Yep there was, much clearer now!

Last edited:
Back