So Very Sad

It is a very sad story and I agree those lanterns should be banned, even if they did not cause this disaster.

Think of the reaction if you walked down the street throwing lighted bundles of paper around, but apparently sending a lighted device aloft with no idea where it might land is OK.

Dave

There is a big problem with those infernal devices landing in fields many miles from where they are launched, leaving the wire frames for horses and cattle to get their legs caught up in and injuring them. One of our horses some years ago had this happen, cost me a bit in vet fees but more importantly the poor horse was hurting.

There is a big problem with those infernal devices landing in fields many miles from where they are launched, leaving the wire frames for horses and cattle to get their legs caught up in and injuring them. One of our horses some years ago had this happen, cost me a bit in vet fees but more importantly the poor horse was hurting.

Awful. I've heard similar accounts by people, like yourself, Lindsay, who have cattle and horses. I think horses are wonderful animals..not part of this discussion but I can't help thinking about the way nations took them to war...of course it was recognised in the film War Horse.In the article below(link) it states that an estimated 6 million horses/mules used by the combatants .Other animals are listed too. The folly of man imposed on animals.

A memorial to them https://heritagecalling.com/2017/02/28/8-memorials-to-animals-in-the-first-world-war/

@JohnC6 Indeed John. I went to see the play War Horse twice and cried my eyes out both times, for the horses and also the men.
Any form of hurt to defenceless animals touches me deeply, the moreso when it is due to human cruelty or (as in this case) irresponsibility.

@JohnC6 Indeed John. I went to see the play War Horse twice and cried my eyes out both times, for the horses and also the men.
Any form of hurt to defenceless animals touches me deeply, the moreso when it is due to human cruelty or (as in this case) irresponsibility.

Well, you're more stoic than me..it's exactly why I couldn't bring myself to go to see it despite my wife wanting to go. She went with a friend.

Back