Sober NY Eve - am I alone

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
One glass of wine at the restaurant with our meal tonight and soft drinks thereafter.
I stopped drinking any meaningful amounts of alcohol this year, I used to drink a modest amount of red wine over a weekend, a bottle or two and maybe a glass occasionally mid week but I went off it late summer and haven't fancied any alcohol at all really since. I used to drink the odd glass of G&T or a single malt but no more.
No real reason other than I just don't fancy it, so tonight marks probably my first truly sober new year's eve for close on 50 years, not that I was hammered ever before, probably just mildly merry, anyone else kicked the habit recently.

Happy New Year to one and all, sober or otherwise, I am not being judgemental here.

I am reasonably merry, pint in a local hostelry this afternoon. during my walk. A bit of whiskey (blended) in all my coffees this afternoon. Me and the missus have just had a bottle of mulled wine between us and will be having a port to see in the New Year. Definitely the most I have drunk on New Years Eve for a few years.

Happy New Year to all who frequent this website.

Last edited:
Been away up norf for a few days, had one pint in Leeds at about half three before getting the train home.
Just a few cuppas this evening since we got back, tend to have a beer when I fancy one.
Never been a problem, went five years without alcohol trying to get my cluster headaches manageable

Totally sober, I have to pick my daughter up from the station at 1am............partying in London, but she has promised me a roast lamb dinner tomorrow;)

Did some one mention Gin.......... Not a heavy drinker by any stretch - my days off are too precious to be hung over through them - ive had a few G&T. Not into New Year, dont really get what the fuss is to be honest. Until we got a Greyhound that is petrified of Fireworks often would be in bed by 11pm. Got the music playing loud and wont be going anywhere to well after midnight

Been off alcohol here since surgery in May.
Just don't care for it anymore.

Just got in - I was 'Des' for an hour's drive, so completely sober tonight, not that I'm usually piddled.

Happy new year everyone.

Sober here, gave up alcohol a few months ago (getting too old for hangovers) also stayed home and watched a couple of films* rather than brave the noisy pubs and drunk mates.

*John Wick 3, disappointing.

Sober - working (aviation) and then a 45 minute drive home to the city of lights, so really not a choice to do anything else! Not a big drinker anyway - I will happily admit that I quite like being mildly drunk, but absolutely hate a hangover...

My wife has always dislike alcohol due to having an alcoholic mother, though she will have the occasional small wine with a meal and a sherry before Xmas dinner as an aperitif. Hence I rarely drink although I never did drink much except with meals, but whereas in the past I might share a bottle, or two, with a friend over a lengthy restaurant meal, now it's rarely more than one glass, and the occasional shandy in the summer with lunch. I am very fussy about wine anyway, not that I know much, so I feel no particular desire to drink anyway.

Sober here, gave up alcohol a few months ago (getting too old for hangovers) also stayed home and watched a couple of films* rather than brave the noisy pubs and drunk mates.

Yes we watched that as well last night it was disappointing just a string of shoot outs maybe expected but the storyline was weak too

I thought it was OK. Ends wide open for John Wick IV eh? ;)
I Stayed in, never bothered with alcohol and watched "Polar" with Mads Mikkelsen
Very much in the style of John wick maybe a tad more violent though ;)

just a string of shoot outs maybe expected but the storyline was weak too
But as everything come in "six" these days, they needed a link to the next two :D

I thought it was OK. Ends wide open for John Wick IV eh? ;)
I Stayed in, never bothered with alcohol and watched "Polar" with Mads Mikkelsen
Very much in the style of John wick maybe a tad more violent though ;)

But as everything come in "six" these days, they needed a link to the next two :D
Yes that’s what I thought definitely four on it’s way :)

We didn’t go out last night too couldn’t face packed pubs
Am not a big drinker either but do like a pint or a glass of rum , has to be neat though no coke :)

Yes that’s what I thought definitely four on it’s way :)
Release date May 21 2021...same day as Matrix 4, starring...you guessed it.

Gave up alcohol almost 3 years ago to help with weight loss. The weight loss was successful and, as a bonus, I have never since felt any desire for booze (or soft drinks). Loads of unsweetened tea and coffee throughout the day.
I suspect that for most folk alcohol has just become a habit that once broken is not missed.

I stopped drinking 20 odd years ago when I realised that I wasn't enjoying it any more. Funnily enough, I don't regard myself as teetotal and I would have a glass of wine or a whisky (never liked beer) if I wanted one, but I have no desire to.

My wife doesn't drink because it's a migraine trigger for her.

Don't drink, haven't in about 30yrs. Haven't celebrated the new year in years neither. Last night I was watching The Inbetweeners movie.

First sober NYE for me (as an adult, obviously). I now have a young daughter so I just can’t be doing with a hangover - she wakes fairly early so I can’t even lie in. I did stay up until 2ish and for some reason I still have a headache... maybe my body just thinks I ought to have a headache on 1st of Jan!

I lost my dad far to early and drink played a big part in his death. I’ll have a glass of fizz with the wife at new year but I could easily manage without it

Not just you, I'm a lifelong teetotaler and have stayed indoors with the cat last night but watched the (rather underwhelming) London Eye fireworks on the telly. Besides, I live on the coastal part of the town full of pubs and a night club all within 5 mins walk from my house and it becomes a no go zone after 9 pm! Even though I'm in my mid 50s, I value my life and health too much.

Don't drink, haven't in about 30yrs. Haven't celebrated the new year in years neither. Last night I was watching The Inbetweeners movie.

Me neither on both counts. A few years ago I told my doctor that I didn’t smoke, never have unless you count those few smoked behind the bike shed at school which made me feel awful..sick..I don’t drink alcohol and don’t eat meat. He laughed and said I’d live forever..lol.

I lost my dad far to early and drink played a big part in his death. I’ll have a glass of fizz with the wife at new year but I could easily manage without it

‘That‘s very sad. So unnecessary too. I loathe the way the alcohol industry push sales of alcohol, It’s the industry’s lobbyists that have fiercely and successfully fought against any reduction in the current drink/drive limit of 80/100mgs in blood 35/lt in breath. They claim it would hit their rural sakes very hard.

Have a read of paragraph 7..re heavy drinkers. https://www.theguardian.com/society...e-13bn-if-drinkers-in-england-stuck-to-limits

‘That‘s very sad. So unnecessary too. I loathe the way the alcohol industry push sales of alcohol, It’s the industry’s lobbyists that have fiercely and successfully fought against any reduction in the current drink/drive limit of 80/100mgs in blood 35/lt in breath. They claim it would hit their rural sakes very hard.

Have a read of paragraph 7..re heavy drinkers. https://www.theguardian.com/society...e-13bn-if-drinkers-in-england-stuck-to-limits

The limit has been 50/100mgs of blood in Scotland since Dec 2014. I don't know if it's made any difference though.

Not just you, I'm a lifelong teetotaler.
Wife and I were teatotal for umpteen years but we started drinking moderately about fifteen years ago. No ill effects so far.
:tumbleweed:

I went to bed at 11pm as I'm massively tired all the time since the last MS relapse. Didn't drink as I didn't want to, but I still like alcohol and still enjoy consuming it on occasion, I'm just careful about how much.

Saw the New Year in sober. Not teetotal, but over the years we have gradually drunk less.

Recently attended an NHS health check and asked about alcohol intake.... did I drink less than 2 bottles of wine a week? Recommended limits have been reduced following research. Research has shown that smoking ban in pubs has reduced lung cancers, but mouth and throat cancers still high due to alcohol consumption.

My view only in moderation. I don't need hangovers.

Hardly any for me as where I work they do random breath testing , anything other than 0.00 is a fail

The limit has been 50/100mgs of blood in Scotland since Dec 2014. I don't know if it's made any difference though.

Looks like it has not helped.
https://discover.dc.nihr.ac.uk/cont...drive-limit-reduction-did-not-lower-accidents

Alcohol price increase Scotland:-
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...tland-worked-slashed-alcohol-purchased-8.html
Scottish drinkers buy far LESS alcohol under minimum pricing plan, new figures show
  • Scottish adults bought one unit less of alcohol each week than they did before
I don't follow the dailyfail statement. Drinking 1 unit per week less is not remotely significant.

The winos favourite tipple escaped the minimum price increase therefore:-
From THE SUN - JUST THE TONIC Scots downing an extra 3,600 bottles of Buckfast a day since minimum pricing as sales of tonic wine soar by £5million

Last edited:
I gave up drinking 12 years ago, have never taken 'drugs' and the good lady wife stopped all that sex malarkey many years ago!

Can't think why I bother carrying on really :thinking:

I gave up drinking 12 years ago, have never taken 'drugs' and the good lady wife stopped all that sex malarkey many years ago!

Can't think why I bother carrying on really :thinking:
It's ok - you will live much longer... but wonder if it's worth the effort ;)

Back