Solar eclipse question

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Taken on the day of the solar eclipse.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to be asking this but can anyone explain what/why/how there is a moon-like object captured on the photo but nowhere near the sun?

Obviously you can see where the soon is. As this was only a few minutes away from 93% eclipsed, I would have though that if it was the moon it would be a lot closer. Also, there is a shadow cast on the (moon?)... How?

This was by know way meant to be a serious photograph, I hasten to add; I was just using the front-facing camera on my iPhone to keep track of what was going on.

Cheers, Sam View attachment 35526View attachment 35527

Methinks you are a bit confused!

The sun is totally blown- not surprising really :)
The moon would, at this time, be in front of the sun- blocking the direct view to a great extent (well, 93% actually)
So there would be a big chunk missing, in effect a crescent sun.
The object high in the pic that you think is the moon is a reflection of some sort, and shows what is happening in the main sun blob.

Hi

Thank you both for your replies. Yes, I didn't expect to capture anything really (it was more a case of just seeing what was behind me without frying my eyes) but I just couldn't figure out what that moon-looking thing was or how it got there. What would it be reflecting off? - It was taken with a camera phone

Cheers, Sam

Presumably just bouncing between the front and back of the lens. It is probably several lenses, not a single lens.
Strange things happen within...

Back