Solomon's Seal

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Solomon's Seal (Polygonatum x hybridum), a small plant growing in my garden.

I propped a piece a black card behind the plant to avoid a confusing background. The light was ideal - overcast but bright, producing little or no shadow.

Solomon's Seal by Tim Heathfield, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good idea the black card. I sometimes wear a black scarf when photographing plants for the same reason. Nice photo of an interesting flower. I'm still waiting for the Solomon's Seal to flower in my northern garden. Given the good subject isolation you got from the black card, why not shoot with a smaller aperture to get the whole bract of flowers in sharper focus?

Good idea the black card. I sometimes wear a black scarf when photographing plants for the same reason. Nice photo of an interesting flower. I'm still waiting for the Solomon's Seal to flower in my northern garden. Given the good subject isolation you got from the black card, why not shoot with a smaller aperture to get the whole bract of flowers in sharper focus?
Thanks Chris, I did try a few different apertures and in hindsight would agree that it may have been better with more depth of field as you say :)

Back