Some basic editing help, please

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
No
Despite having been an IT god in my working life, my PP skills are minimal, mainly due to lack of interest. But I now have a few shots where I think it will be worth learning the necessary skills rather than set everything up again. As you'll see on the shot below, there's a horrendous hot-spot in the top r/h corner where the flash has bounced off the wall more than the ceiling as intended. I'm sure this is straightforward to remove but would appreciate some guidance as to method. I'll be using PSE 19 to do the job.

02s.jpg

Make a new layer (CTR + J), then make a selection around the top right hand corner, with the lasso tool, then go to fill in the toolbar, then scroll to content aware fill,, and click on that, then enter it, that normally does it for me, if you find it's bringing in bits of the house, then go back, and try selecting making smaller selections, and then just keep repeating, however normally with white it works first time.

Make a new layer (CTR + J), then make a selection around the top right hand corner, with the lasso tool, then go to fill in the toolbar, then scroll to content aware fill,, and click on that, then enter it, that normally does it for me, if you find it's bringing in bits of the house, then go back, and try selecting making smaller selections, and then just keep repeating, however normally with white it works first time.

I agree - well explained Tel :)

Reactions: TG.
Thanks very much, both of you. As you'll see, it's made a vast improvement. It possibly could be improved further but it's no longer offensive.

View attachment 312891
On the right hand side (looking face on) the grey background colour changes shade, is that caused by the shadow from the house, as it's difficult to tell.

Yes, definitely a shadow. I was working in quite cramped conditions and, although the flashes were pointing up at the ceiling, I probably could have used barn-doors on them to stop any horizontal spill. I haven't used my AD200s much so I'm still getting used to where the light goes.

You could try a layer mask...

Create a new layer of the same colour as the wall. Then paint out the buildings.

I just tried a quick edit and managed to remove all the problems, took about 2 mins so an easy task. Was about to post the results and a run down on what I did when I saw his preferences as No to editing images. Oh well.

He probabley won't ask again-I sent him my edit via a PM - he appears to have ignored it

So, I won't be helping out again anytime soon

Les :)

Apologies, Les. I didn't get notified about the PM and only noticed it was there when I saw you mention it here. I'm not getting notifications about the updates to this thread either, despite having set the Watch option to do so. I think I need to check my preference settings.

Is that a confession? ;)
As I've said, I didn't get a notification of Les's PM and replied as soon as I knew about it.

I don think the comment was aimed at you :)

I'm set as 'No' for editing my images, but that's in general. If I'm asking for help with editing an image I would state that it's ok so that I could see people's results and then ask the process for the one I liked the most. Seems logical to me, but each to their own and it's obviously each person's prerogative what they choose. I'll need to remember to check first as well next time.

Might be a good idea for people who are not commenting on the thread title, to not come in trolling

Oh I do love a good bit of Irony :)

Apologies, Les. I didn't get notified about the PM and only noticed it was there when I saw you mention it here. I'm not getting notifications about the updates to this thread either, despite having set the Watch option to do so. I think I need to check my preference settings.

All sorted now - I have given the response about how I edited your image, you asked for in your PM to me Johathan

Hope it helped ?

Les :)

It never ceases to amaze me how childish adults are.

Please try to pay attention and respond to the OP's original question on editing his image I note you did no such thing :) instead of trolling the thread, as that just causes bad feeling

Jonathan has already explained why he did not respond to my Edit on here & via PM and we have since exchanged idea's on editing - so my comments are justified, yours however: are NOT

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Back