Otters in Shetland (pics added 22/02/2024)

Some more from today and from a couple of weeks ago in Shetland. I thought I was going to have a blank day today, but after a lot of patience and legwork I found three Otters all fishing in the same place. Strong winds and big waves did a fine job of masking the noise from the camera so I was able to get plenty of opportunities to observe and photograph at very close range.

Otters, Shetland, September 2015 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr
12 The fish in this shot is a Norwegian Topknot
Otters, Shetland, Aug 2015 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

More cracking shots, must be fantastic to get so close :)

Absolutely Stunning!!! more please :)

Ok then :)

I've been checking out some new locations recently as I'm starting taking a few individuals on guided Otter photography days - here's a couple from yesterday. I did think this Otter was going to walk right in to my lens as it approached to within around six feet on three occasions. I had to stop shooting at such close range due to the risk of shutter noise scaring it.

Do wear a special camouflaged otter spotting hat which is covered in seaweed? :D

John these images and the ones on your website deserve a lot more attention, you appear to have some good knowledge on these otters that you put in to photographing them ,keep up the excellent work and lets hope they get a lot more attention in the future

Amazing shots - which island are you on? I spent 18 months on Unst in 1975-76 and only saw an otter twice, though I did enjoy sitting amongst 100s of puffins on Hermaness.

Lovely shots John!

Would it be possible to ask what focal length these are shot at?

Cheers

Simon

Hi, these are all at 420mm - Nikon 300mm f4 and a Nikon 1.4x teleconverter. Usually it's ample, and occasionally it's too much!

Do wear a special camouflaged otter spotting hat which is covered in seaweed? :D

LOL, no... but it's not a bad idea :D

John these images and the ones on your website deserve a lot more attention, you appear to have some good knowledge on these otters that you put in to photographing them ,keep up the excellent work and lets hope they get a lot more attention in the future
Very kind, thank you - I'm taking someone from Sweden out for a couple of days this week, and I really hope they get some great images.

Amazing shots - which island are you on? I spent 18 months on Unst in 1975-76 and only saw an otter twice, though I did enjoy sitting amongst 100s of puffins on Hermaness.
Hi, I'm down the southern tip, near the airport - there are Otters around locally but the coastline generally doesn't suit Otter photography. I don't think you'd find too many changes in Unst since you were last there, lol - Hermaness is still great - I try to go a couple of times each summer but it's a fair old trek from where I am. The ferry terminals are all popular with Otters due to the breakwaters making excellent hiding places.

Thanks all,
John

These are all amazing and I admire your skill both photographic and fieldcraft. They are a superb collection of images that anyone would be so proud to put their name to. Hopefully more will be added, can't get enough of these!

What an amazing thread, I'm not sure how it missed it's inception TBH
Cracking images, all of them (y)

Just come across this thread. What a fabulous collection of otter pictures. I particularly like the last one as it's so different.

Absolutely wonderful. Stunning.The third from last (above) where it's on it's back asleep, is so funny and also very appealing, looks like an otter's life is a good life..lol

This one has won a 'Highly Commended' in the British Wildlife Photography Awards quite chuffed, as it's one of my favourites.

[QUOTE="

19/ I quite liked this one - very tricky to capture the right moment, as it's head only appeared for the briefest of moments
Otter, Shetland, 2016 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

As always great shots, but that last one is a cracker.

Dave

It's been a while since I've been out actually photographing Otters - have been guiding other people over the last few months, but should have more time to myself now :)

20/ This one has heard the clatter of my D800E - when they do hear the shutter, I stop shooting and let them continue, and will only shoot again was they've settled.
Shetland Otter by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

21/ This one was released from Hillswick Wildlife Sanctuary a couple of months ago. I feed him every few days and will gradually reduce the amount as he learns to hunt. Have seen him catch a lot of crabs, but only a few small fish.
Shetland Otter by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

22/ This is one from today - first day out with the Nikon 200-500mm, Seems ok!

Shetland Otter, Nikon 200-500 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Last edited:
One from yesterday - saw eight in the space of 3 hours, yet had little luck with any decent photo opportunities. This one was my best encounter - until it was disturbed by a curious Common Seal that came alongside me then created an almighty splash when it figured out I was a human :-/
23/
Otters, Shetland, 2016 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

And a little bit of video of two cubs playing - mother appears at the end...

Some cracking shots here, never been lucky enough to see otters in the wild only at the zoo. Can I ask where this is as it would be my partners paradise.

Some cracking shots here, never been lucky enough to see otters in the wild only at the zoo. Can I ask where this is as it would be my partners paradise.
Hi, all these are on Mainland Shetland - I just so happen to do a bit of wildlife guiding too ;-)

Very nice shots there sir and a nice video. Must be a hard life for you up there. [emoji6]

Sounds like a great life to me.

Cracking set of images !

Back