Edit My Images
Yes
Slavonian Grebe, Frampton Marsh

Slavonian_Grebe.jpg

Slavonian_Grebe2.jpg

Marsh Harrier(s) Digby Fen
Marsh_Harriers.jpg

Marsh_Harrier4%7E0.jpg

Not the best pic i have taken, but a very nearly shot ! :)
Marsh_Harrier_and_Bunnies.jpg

Buzzard Digby Fen
Buzzard8.jpg

Another nice selection Ian (y)
Did "Big Ears" survive ?

Another nice selection Ian (y)
Did "Big Ears" survive ?

Hope so as its a Brown Hare. Another nice set Ian.Are you trying to tease me with that lens now I only have a small one!:LOL:

Big ears did indeed survive, as did little ears that you can just see on the right of the shot ;)

at one point the Harrier was sat next to the young Hare and its mum chased it off lol i think i saw the Harrier pick the young hare up and drop it, as i was driving past, but cant be certain.

The Harrier was very persistent but a load of crows kept gathering and i think it was worrried it would lose lunch if it struck then.

Do the marsh Harriers not migrate Ian?

Thats eversonearly a stunner!
looks more like a hare to me but what the hell!
very nice Ian (y)

ill bow to anybody elses better knowledge though :)

well Its no good asking me :shrug::D
IMO the face on is a hare ( ears, black tip, square face broad bodied)
the side on is a bunny ( going on the ear size only) but its not that common to have them that close
(cue all the hare bunny shots :D)
Its still a stunner whatever the quarry (y)

Last edited:
Top class shots as always Ian :)

The buzzard is the pick of the bunch for me. I love that catchlight in his eye (y)

Both adults have bailed out of our local reed beds, just the one juvenile remaining Ian?

I think i`ll do some digging..............(y)

I only ever seem to work Thursday - Sunday! I can't complain really...the hides are usually quieter midweek :)

Both adults have bailed out of our local reed beds, just the one juvenile remaining Ian?

I think i`ll do some digging..............(y)

Apparently they all leave the breeding grounds, and some can migrate as far as Poole in Dorset, but others could be in the field next door to the breeding ground lol Lincolnshire Harriers seem to be here all year ?

Apparently they all leave the breeding grounds, and some can migrate as far as Poole in Dorset, but others could be in the field next door to the breeding ground lol Lincolnshire Harriers seem to be here all year ?

I`m not working tomorrow, I see a plan formulating.............(y)

lol good luck with the birdies then :) main thing i can suggest is look through local bird groups daily sightings and see if any have been seen and where :)

Sarnies and flask done, catch you later.............:D

Nice shots. :) Isn't that little guy in number 1 and 2 cute? My favourite for clarity is the last of the set.

Nice set Ian. Didn't know we had Slavonian Grebe this far south... The harrier and the hare is a great moment!

Nor did i mate :) i went to Frampton to see if any Marsh Harriers and this little chap was there on its tod !

I waited and waited hoping to see the Harrier have another go but with 2 Buzzards and a load of crows floating about i think the Harrier decided to try for an easier meal !

I wonder if the harrier aborted when it saw the size of the hare? I was with a falconer yesterday and he said that his Harris hawks will take off after a hare and then pull up at the last minute when they realise the size of it, whereas with a rabbit they will keep going. As he said, the hare can inflict quite a kick. Don't know but it could be what happened...

Do you guys down there get lots of escaped, non UK BOP`s?

I wonder if the harrier aborted when it saw the size of the hare? I was with a falconer yesterday and he said that his Harris hawks will take off after a hare and then pull up at the last minute when they realise the size of it, whereas with a rabbit they will keep going. As he said, the hare can inflict quite a kick. Don't know but it could be what happened...

That happens a lot Paul
it takes a large female Harris with balls the size of melons to follow through on a hare,
once caught they roll over and over lashing out with their back legs and have killed ( to my knowledge) a couple in the past by staving in the hawks chest:(
Yet a male redtail ( Northern USA) which are a few oz lighter than a female Harris,
will take and hold them quite successfully, their "natual quarry" is Jack rabbits amounst other things

Do you guys down there get lots of escaped, non UK BOP`s?
There are supposed to be breeding ( again quite successfully) colonies
of Harris hawks ( central southern USA) in the Kent area.
The IBR used to post a list of "lost and found" the lost far outweighed the found
I am sure the pure peregrines and perigrine hybrids would survive quite happily as would the saker / gyr and hybrids.
Red tails and quite a few others would happily survuive as well

some nice shots! the rspb reserve at loch ruthven is just up the road from us and we see a lot of the grebes, though i haven't ever gotten around to photographing them. this could be the inspiration i was needing though.....

some nice shots! the rspb reserve at loch ruthven is just up the road from us and we see a lot of the grebes, though i haven't ever gotten around to photographing them. this could be the inspiration i was needing though.....

Thanks :) may pay to wait until spring as the breeding plumage is far more dramatic than the winter plumage :)

Back