Some golf balls and a big valley.

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
As I found myself with no events to attend today I just couldnt let a nice day go without taking some shots.:)

Not being a landscape photographer I took these from not too far away from my home.

Comments please..:)

menwith-hill.jpg

washburn-valley.jpg

woah!
What are the golf balls in the first?
The first is quite interesting - but for me it stops there. The OOF grass in the foreground is nice, but somewhat distracting.
Second is lovely though - particularly liking the dry stone wall poking through, and the rocks, houses & church in the distance.

Shame you didn't have a more exciting sky at your disposal!

The golf balls are part of Menwith Hill. Basically, it's UK MOD owned, US Army leased land, which contain all these satellites covered by huge domes. Apparently it's where the operation commonly known as Echelon is based....Yes...That's ECHELON.....Who monitor all UK radio, phone, traffic etc, and a sophisticated system flags up potention key words.

So if I was to say, BOMB, TONY BLAIR, GUN, TERRORIST, DOWNING STREET, PICKLES. ;) It might get us some more traffic to the forums when they come for a look :LOL:

(You listening, Echelon crew? Yeah thats right, just click here to join in, it's free ya know. :D

The first is pleasing to look at, and I don't think the OOF grass is distracting. But, the shot would be alot better if you were higher up, it's all squeezed onto this one plane, in the 1/3rd of the shot.
The second is much better. Makes me want to don my walking boots, put my camera backpack on, and get walking (y)

Definately the second shot for me to, although I find the first more interesting, I think the light hasnt helped you so well as it does in the second ;)
The second has the more natural aesthetics obviously, but with a less harsh sun I think the first shot has enormous potential too (y)

I like the second shot tim (y)

p.s you woulden't have been at RAF Leuchars on friday watching the planes coming in?

That would be my brother Chris Ally. He went up there on Thursday to be there for the hardware coming in before the show on Saturday..(y)

Interesting first shot but the second one does it for me (y)

It is no longer US Army it is now US Air Force (changed about 2 years ago).

I drove by Menwith Hill a month or so ago and one of the domes was being worked on. The antenna inside was totally open, now that would have made a good picture!

I think Tim's got all the domes in his shot, but I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm driving by to see if theres any naked antennae on show!

Nice pics by the way!

I think Tim's got all the domes in his shot, but I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm driving by to see if theres any naked antennae on show!

Nice pics by the way!

Yep!!! I drove past again myself today and there it is for all to see..:)

Just thought I'd let you guys know that the MOD cops who patrol the area will confiscate any video or camera equipment used to take images of the camp. You will get them back but when is up for grabs. As they have a pretty wide radius that they patrol nowhere is exactly safe. Just thought you might want to know! Especially if you take pics of what is inside the domes. As this post/camp doesn't exactly exist....

Just thought I'd let you guys know that the MOD cops who patrol the area will confiscate any video or camera equipment used to take images of the camp. You will get them back but when is up for grabs. As they have a pretty wide radius that they patrol nowhere is exactly safe. Just thought you might want to know! Especially if you take pics of what is inside the domes. As this post/camp doesn't exactly exist....

So I does that mean a TP meet at Menwith Hill is off then :thinking:

:D

Unless we all went to spend some quality time speaking with the police....

More and more it seems we are living in a Police state!

Anyway, back to the photgraphy...

Would a ND filter helped to bring out the sky in these pictures? If so, how would you work out which one to use...spot meter the land and then spot meter the sky and use an ND that represent the difference?

For me it has to be #2, very nice landscape here...I think it could do with a slight bump in the contrast and the beveled frame around the emmediate image is slightly distracting...the rest of the frame is simply awesome...

Back