Some light trails

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes

…wooooooah! :jawdrop:

Surprising, captivating… entertaining! Bravo. :cool:

Very nice and very different, thanks for sharing.

Nice ones, like the last one best looks like angels wings.

I had a play with that a few years ago.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/led-fun.566853/#post-6570296

I really wanted to do more but never gave it a go again. It was pretty good fun indeed.

These links are really worth looking at:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n13Ij4NSNI8

http://www.paulwainwrightphotography.com/pendulum_gallery_images.shtml

Thanks for the links :)
I had seen the YouTube video but not his site.
Some of the patterns on there are savage.
I seem to be getting very similar patterns regardless of how I start.
Need much more practice :)

His setup is just amazing, mine was done with crappy shoe laces, a hammer and led key ring. Plus the fact it does it on large format film makes it even more unique. Nothing photoshopped, nothing tidied. It's just mind blowing.

Lol my tripod did vertical! How do you do without doing vertical is your camera just rested on the ground? Because you do need to be from bellow. As said this guy in the link is miles ahead of us!

I seem to be getting very similar patterns regardless of how I start.

The thing is really to change the configuration of the double pendulum has he shows in the video. The problem i had is that the pendulum can became either unstable at the start or not having enough inertia to keep it going enough. That why i had a hammer to the string to make it heavier.

Lol my tripod did vertical! How do you do without doing vertical is your camera just rested on the ground? Because you do need to be from bellow. As said this guy in the link is miles ahead of us!
Sometimes I put the camera on a book on the ground and sometimes in tripod at an angle.
The problem with the book is that I can't review the results without moving the camera and then having to do the same after every shot.
The length of the string seems to dictate duration of the movement more so than weight.
Probably why his one was 30 fèet long :)

Excellent work :D

Quite futuristic (y)

Nice ones, like the last one best looks like angels wings.

I had a play with that a few years ago.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/led-fun.566853/#post-6570296

I really wanted to do more but never gave it a go again. It was pretty good fun indeed.

These links are really worth looking at:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n13Ij4NSNI8

http://www.paulwainwrightphotography.com/pendulum_gallery_images.shtml

I missed your link to your thread, first time around.
Savage results.
Be interested to know if you can remember what setup you used for the complex ones. What lengths ? If you can remember :)

To be honest i cannot remember it was not a big setup. I lived under a low roof and it was holding on the velux windows. So to refer to the schema in his video at 3min39 i would say it was something like L1=1m L2=40cm. The top triangle was a string that easily be adjusted, the hanging bit was most rigid as is was made with a hammer and the led taped to the bottom of it. It cannot have been much bigger than this.
Hope that makes any sence?

To be honest i cannot remember it was not a big setup. I lived under a low roof and it was holding on the velux windows. So to refer to the schema in his video at 3min39 i would say it was something like L1=1m L2=40cm. The top triangle was a string that easily be adjusted, the hanging bit was most rigid as is was made with a hammer and the led taped to the bottom of it. It cannot have been much bigger than this.
Hope that makes any sence?

It sure does.
I'm making space in the shed at the min to try a long simple one, itll be 18 ft long, Might give the complex a twirl too, mine is all string. Might try the pendulum rigid while I'm at it.
Don't know if it will make much difference or just make the shots take longer.
I'll post some samples when I get a chance to try it out.
Cheers
Derek

Nice, these are getting better and better. The trail is finer and the result cleaner. Plus the shape are getting interresting there! Good ones.

Thanks for sharing, you made me have a go. Just need to play with light sources now (I think).

Nice one. Can't wait to see them :):);)
I have put one on my Flickr, did not want to hijack your thread. Just need to learn how to get a sharper more defined trail.

I have put one on my Flickr, did not want to hijack your thread. Just need to learn how to get a sharper more defined trail.
Just had a look.
Nice one, I had similar patterns at the start,
8 sec exp leads me to think the light is probably too bright. I'm running some of mine for 5 mins. I found I needed to let it swing for 10-15 secs before starting exposure to let the swing even out.
Super start
(y)(y)(y)

Just had a look.
Nice one, I had similar patterns at the start,
8 sec exp leads me to think the light is probably too bright. I'm running some of mine for 5 mins. I found I needed to let it swing for 10-15 secs before starting exposure to let the swing even out.
Super start
(y)(y)(y)

Thanks, not sure my crudely constructed pendulum will swing for 5 mins.
What are you using for a light source?
I used an old mobile phone with the torch on. I covered the torch light with aluminium tape, with a hole in, to reduce the light out. I then placed blue tape over for the colour cast.

I can see the improvement in your images, some great abstract images "shining" through.

Crude set up but only took a few minutes :)

light trails-4.jpg

My setup is every bit as crude :)
Seemingly the smallest adjustments make a difference as well.
You could bring the 2 points of the top closer together, experiment with different lengths of the triangle and of the part that the light hangs from, try and get the light shining straight down with the camera underneath.
(y)(y)(y)

My setup is every bit as crude :)
Seemingly the smallest adjustments make a difference as well.
You could bring the 2 points of the top closer together, experiment with different lengths of the triangle and of the part that the light hangs from, try and get the light shining straight down with the camera underneath.
(y)(y)(y)

Thanks.
I feel the need for another play coming on.
Just need to find a different light source.
(y)

22CmtxE

ExMq6d

Trying to do this from phone. So hope it works.

Had another play, starting to get a bit better :)
Thanks for the input.

Thinking need to try a smaller light output and sharper focus.

Light Trails_.jpg

Light Trails_-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back