Some LR Questions

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly, thanks for all the replies to my previous query on LR and its 'worthiness'. Also apologies if any of my queries have been asked before.

I am currently editing images in the free trail of LR CC.

LR CC is somewhat different to classic, and I am finding it taxing to try and convert the tutorials which are 90% classic. I have been editing JPEG images and the edit seems to take sometimes up to 5 seconds to view, is this because I am not editing a RAW image, or does the problem lay elsewhere? p.s I am now shooting in RAW.

What differences/options will I see when editing a RAW image ?

I tend to keep my power plugged in on the MAC, as the battery will completely drain within 2-3 hours when using lightroom, is this normal ?

Lastly and somewhat down to learning styles and opinion, but what are your recommendations for a good book for a beginner on LR ?

Thanks in advance.

CC is different in layout to Classic but mostly the functionality and theory is the same so you just need to find the right buttons/sliders.

Raw images actually require more power to process so your computer will slow down even more with raw (lowercase ;)) images. The battery is draining as you are doing processor intensive stuff, which requires power so when editing raw your battery life will decrease again. Probably this is because you have a lower powered laptop (but that's a guess).

Scott Kelby's books on lightroom are very well laid out with plenty of tips.

Not read his latest as I still use LR 5 but have his book for that and I found it very useful.

Jpeg is a picture format, which limits, how you can adjust various things, white balance, shadow recovery, etc., etc., etc. A raw file, is just data, so has much more scope for adjustment. The file you see, in LR when editing a raw file, is a LR generated preview.

Would agree with Nick, regarding a book choice, as Scott Kelby's books are easy to follow and quite comprehensive.

Also plenty of tutorials, on youtube, for LR.

Back