Some more paint and speaker found by the roadside.

Edit My Images
Yes
I love the last one in particular... Excuse me if this sounds like a daft question but did the red splashes actually come together symmetrically purely by chance, or has it been edited?

They've ALL been edited!!! It's almost impossible to keep individual colours separate - they just vibrate themselves together. So I used separate colours most of the time though I was lucky and got a few to merge like the green and white in #3 and the blue and yellow in #6.

Really it's just an excuse to splash paint around like a 5 year old!

Told you it might be a daft question! I've never tried sticking paint in a speaker, so I never really stopped to consider how long you could mix paint for before it just turned into a messy grey soup, although I'm sure my 4 year old niece could probably tell me better!

The paint isn't in the speaker. You need to stretch a condom or big black balloon over the speaker. This gives a taut membrane that vibrates with the sound waves. The paint goes on the membrane and jumps about

Here's another I did earlier

A good use for a condom
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Last edited:
Is there any noticeable correlation between the shapes formed and the frequency and amplitude of the sound applied to the membrane, please?

Is there any noticeable correlation between the shapes formed and the frequency and amplitude of the sound applied to the membrane, please?

Didn't really notice any. My wave generator would produce a wide variety of pulses, but whatever I used at whatever volume just one particular setting gave the best results. There is a difference with the thickness of the paint, how warm it is, the volume placed on the membrane, and a mixture of cornflour will change the shapes.

It's not really a very exact science. I took over 1000 shots, most of which were deleted, but some of the shapes I never saw at the time but only on dowload.

That looks awesome ! & far too much fun to be legal :D Excellent bit of speaker recycling too

Well....If you're anywhere near NW England and fancy getting mucky just shout. It's easy to set up. The hard bit is cleaning up afterwards!!!

This is an aspect of photography I never considered could exist. I admire your imagination, to be able to see a speaker and think of this use for it is just great. The colours and shapes are so vibrant how do you light it?

What a brilliant way to pass an afternoon. I'm just glad I don't have to clean up after you.

Lighting is easy. One speedlight on each side set to 1/128 power. 100 ISO f8 and 1/200 sec. Simples!

Mix some cornstarch with water and watered down paint or food colouring and you'll have a non-Newtonian fluid that will take on the properties of a solid at certain frequencies generated by the speaker, nice shots though, very interesting.

:)

Looks like someone's been having fun, I love the shapes and patterns being made.

Morning Chris. Long time no see. How's life? You managed to escape the daily grind yet?

As mentioned if you fancy a session just shout; the paint should be all washed out of my clothes by now!

They are wonderful,

I have to say No 4 just beats the others though

something about the splatter around the edge just works

I really like the colours, shapes and patterns produced, well done.

In paint 6 it looks like a couple of fingers breaking the surface, very eerie

No idea!!! We just twiddle various dials until we got something we liked. All a bit hit and miss really. Sorry.

Back