Some pics I took for a Community city farm I've been volunteering at.

I'm left wanting to see the farm and the people that obviously make it what it is.

I'm not sure mixing colour and black and white in the same set ever works. Is there a reason for that?

I'm assuming this is a farm run by volunteers or a charity. It will have a purpose of some sort I imagine, such as helping kids or the community in some way. Why not show that instead of some vegetables? There's a whole story there you're missing I think.

The shot of the pig is engaging, but nothing else is. Just snaps of flowers, plants and vegetables, which say nothing about anything.

Sorry.... not feeling anything from these. I could give technical pointers to improve these pictures of flowers.. and I'm sure others will, but for me, that's really not the point. Good images should communicate something, and the opening shot is introducing me to a city farm, building my expectations, and then you show me nothing except some plants and animals... which I already know will be on a farm. Show me the people running it... what they do... how the farm serves the local community... who it helps... That would be far more interesting.

Last edited:
I have to agree with David, Will ... Windmill Hill City Farm is a very active location with many community projects taking place there and if you are there regularly you have a unique opportunity to document these, (taking care with permissions due to the nature of some groups visiting). I look forward to seeing what you can do to show us a bit more of what WHCF is really all about :)

Fair point. Yes you're correct it is a community farm run with the help of volunteers. I do intend on doing more and of the people involved and visiting like you say. It wasn't a busy day and there wasn't much going on so I just took some shots of stuff around the place. I take your point about telling a story with the pics especially with a place like Windmill Hill. Thanks for highlighting it for me.

Fair point. Yes you're correct it is a community farm run with the help of volunteers. I do intend on doing more and of the people involved and visiting like you say. It wasn't a busy day and there wasn't much going on so I just took some shots of stuff around the place. I take your point about telling a story with the pics especially with a place like Windmill Hill. Thanks for highlighting it for me.

Look forward to seeing what you do Will :)

Back